PDA

View Full Version : Best grease for M1A bolt roller?

damon1272
02-24-2008, 8:08 PM
I was going to grease the bolt roller bearing and was wondering what is the recommended type of grease to use? I have the tool to grease the roller with but figured wheel bearing grease may not be the correct type of grease to use. Any suggestions on the correct type of grease?

Paradiddle
02-24-2008, 8:21 PM
The Military stuff - Lubriplate. You can get it from brownells.

EastBayRidge
02-25-2008, 5:45 AM
I've used high temp auto bearing grease for a few years with no ill effects. Read that it's a good substitute in one of the M14 forums out there. True dat.

30Cal
02-25-2008, 6:52 AM
Doesn't matter.

tommyid1
02-25-2008, 7:57 AM
i use miltec grease on mine. you can get samples for free from their site i beleive and this stuff sticks on there.

cr042202
02-25-2008, 1:12 PM
Lubriplate

Knight
02-25-2008, 1:17 PM
Like EastBayRidge said, use auto bearing grease. Tons cheaper, and it's essentially the same stuff. I got that advice from Jim Thompson on another forum. Do a Google search on "Jim Thompson Garand" if you don't know who he is.

Astig Boy
02-25-2008, 2:32 PM
Aside from the roller, you need to grease all the tracks for the bolt and the oprod. Oil/Lube/CLP is not good enough for any part of a M1A/M14 so you dont really need it...you need grease only.

Also, any grease will work. The problem is which grease do you like to use?...and which works best for you. Why use messy grease that ozzies or gets all over the place. I also hate different colored grease...white grease is utterly ugly looking on any firearm IMO...and there are a lot of exposed areas that have to remain greased on a M1A/M14...would you really carry a firearm that looks like someone jizzed all over it? Not to mention some grease attracts a lot of dirt, while some are hard to clean...and others smell utterly disgusting. Trial and error I guess, as some grease depends on the type of weather you shoot in. If I were you, I'd just head over to the M14forum and see what everyone uses there. Me personally, I like RIGs.

paulo57509
02-25-2008, 6:31 PM
I use Tetra.

Do those greasing tools work well? I've always used my thumb to force the grease in the roller.

CRTguns
02-25-2008, 7:04 PM
pro gold... many shops carry pro-shot cleaning and chemicals... it's stringy sticky stuff. Pro Gold takes the "budhist monk" out of the AR butt, the crickets out of the glock, and the sand out of the Mini... worth a shot in the M1A.

wolfmann
02-25-2008, 8:17 PM
Tetra!