PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 60 questions

kermit315
02-24-2008, 7:53 PM
Hey guys,

I took my Marlin 60 to the range today with some of my other guns. It seemed to have a lot of trouble. about 4-5 of 14 rounds per mag wouldnt fire, but if I put them in the walther, they fired for the most part. probably had 10 duds in the whole brick. had extraction problems also. I would pull the trigger and it wouldnt fire, I would manually cycle the action and the preceding unfired round was still in the chamber. had problems where it didnt want to go into battery. I took it home and tore it all apart tonight and cleaned the ever living crap out of it. It seems to not like the remington golden bullets. ran some federal bulk pak through it and didnt have the same problems, but didnt have a whole lot of them to try either. this is perplexing, because when it fires, it hits exactly where I aim it. I love this rifle other than the problems I am having right now. before I took it out the first time, I cleaned it all out and lubed it where the bolt and the action meet, and the top of the bolt that rides in the reciever. Only had 1 or two problems that time, took it home and cleaned it again. took it out today and it acted like I stated above.

I have heard that you can overlube these .22's real easy, and wonder if that is what I have done. Cant get back to the range until at least next weekend, so wont know if all I did worked or not, but I would love to get some feedback from you guys.

I also noticed something else that was kinda weird. the extractor seemed a little funny. one side sticks out where I would think it would (the side that faces the outside of the reciever). the other side seems to ride in further (the side that is inside the reciever) and doesnt stick out as far. is this normal, or is something jacked up. I cant find my digital camera, so no pictures.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Jamie

frigginchi
02-24-2008, 8:19 PM
My Marlin 60 likes being drenched in lube.

kermit315
02-24-2008, 8:27 PM
hmmm, so maybe the problem isnt too much lube, but too little lube.

where is soldier415 when there is a question about lube?

haha.

Thanks frigginchi.

Jamie

G17GUY
02-24-2008, 8:30 PM
Remington golden bullets suck. Stick with federal bulk match or just federal bulk. Also Winchester dynapoint is good.

Pulsar
02-24-2008, 8:31 PM
Model 60's definitely like a lot of lube in the running surfaces for the bolt, they also need to be kept clean!

It also sounds like your extractor may be worn out or broken if it's leaving unfired round in the hcamber when you manually cycle it back.

kermit315
02-24-2008, 8:58 PM
not really sure how it could be worn out, this rifle only has about 300 rounds through it, if that. the extractor springs out and in like it should. I will see if I can get some pictures of what I am talking about and put them up. I am thinking maybe the bolt was not traveling fast enough and instead of loading the rim of the next round into the groove between the bolt and the extractor, the round got pushed up by the extractor, and it didnt get around the rim. when I cycled it, there was nothing hooked to the new round to pull it back out. That would also explain why the rounds wouldnt fire in the rifle, but did in the walther.

so, in conclusion, I need more lube, and to keep her clean. i will see if I can get out of work early one night this week and get back into the range and check it out.

Thanks for the help so far guys,

Jamie

fairfaxjim
02-24-2008, 9:09 PM
Remington golden bullets suck. Stick with federal bulk match or just federal bulk. Also Winchester dynapoint is good.

My wife's 60 LOVES Remington Golden bullets. She sends a a 525 pack through that thing so fast it scares me. Never a FTF for FTE. Do have an occasional dud, but those always fire on the second pop. Federal bulk work good too.

kermit315
02-24-2008, 9:18 PM
everybody always told me that federal wouldnt work worth spit in a walther P22, but that is all we have fed my wifes and it works great. I think it might have been more the rifle than the ammo, but some of those duds still didnt fire after three primer strikes, one in the rifle and 2 in the walther. what is the failure rate for those bulk paks anyway, does anybody have an idea?

frigginchi
02-24-2008, 9:34 PM
I don't even bother with duds. Just jack a new round in and keep on shooting.

kermit315
02-24-2008, 9:37 PM
I normally dont either, but wanted to isolate it to bad ammo or screwy rifle.

Army
02-25-2008, 8:59 AM
Just don't take the firing mechanism apart! All those itty-bitty E and C clips will disappear forever!

White lithium grease on the rails helped my Dad's Golden 60 back in the early '70's, but still kept some oil in it always.

Funny the Remmy's didn't work for you. That's all I remember shooting from Dad's gun.

scrat
02-25-2008, 9:08 AM
i have owned a marlin 60 and a marlin 700 for over 20 years now. One thing for sure i can tell you is that the rifles are particular to different types of bullets. you can try one brand of bullets and get duds, jams all day long. then try another brand and have no problem. I used to lube the crap out of mine also. however i found that the lube caused a lot of the jaming. Once the lube gets alot of burnt powder residue on them then things start to stick. I since then switched to graphite lube. I use the spray on type. I tell you what. Nothing sticks to it like with regular gun oil and it keeps the action very slick. So i am going to be sticking to graphite for now. As far as the ammo. just try a different brand. seems to always be the case.

GenLee
02-25-2008, 10:38 AM
i have owned a marlin 60 and a marlin 700 for over 20 years now. One thing for sure i can tell you is that the rifles are particular to different types of bullets. you can try one brand of bullets and get duds, jams all day long. then try another brand and have no problem. I used to lube the crap out of mine also. however i found that the lube caused a lot of the jaming. Once the lube gets alot of burnt powder residue on them then things start to stick. I since then switched to graphite lube. I use the spray on type. I tell you what. Nothing sticks to it like with regular gun oil and it keeps the action very slick. So i am going to be sticking to graphite for now. As far as the ammo. just try a different brand. seems to always be the case.

As far as lubing it too much, mine loves the lube, after a hundred or so rounds at a time my starts to act up, i give it a new shot of juice and off it goes, try shoting it with oil each time it starts acting up........That works for me.

Soldier415
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
where is soldier415 when there is a question about lube?

"Field Testing" ;)

elroy
02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
"Just don't take the firing mechanism apart! All those itty-bitty E and C clips will disappear forever! "

if you do this will help
http://www.4shared.com/file/27056203/a17eeefe/Marlin_60_Action_assy_a.html<br%20/>

Pulsar
02-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you could possibly use a chamber polish if you think it's not cycling all the way back. Check your fired brass for scratches and marks.

It could also be that your firing pin is too long, and when you fire on an empty chamber it strikes the rim area of the chamber causing the rim area to swell into the chamber. It's pretty common for .22's to do this, and any competent gunsmith can get it fixed for ya. The easy way to check is to just open up the gun and look for a divet right where the firing pin would be striking, there shouldn't be one, but if there is, it's likely the problem.

Another option, which isn't likely, but I've seen it on more than one model 60, is that the chamber is oversized, which really screws up the pressure curve resulting in short cycles.

Riodog
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Sound to me like it needs a good cleaning.
Open the action and with a toothbrush and a small pic, like a dental tool, clean out the gunk on both sides of the chamber where the extractor contacts the case rim. Brush the face of the chamber and the bolt, under the extractors and rinse it out with solvent or squirt with lots of wd-40. Lube it back up and try it out. You might want to flop a towel over the action the first couple of rounds so any web lube or whatever doesn't get on you.

My Marlin and my Rem nylon 66 need this cleaning once in a while cuz of the outside lube from the bullets.
Rio

kermit315
02-27-2008, 7:55 PM
well, I snuck off to the range tonight and ran another 200 rounds through it with no problems. Lubed the hell out of it. The very first round didnt fire (ironic time for a dud, no?), but had no problems for the rest of the rounds out of the box.

thanks for the feedback guys. Sure love this little rifle.

Jamie