PDA

View Full Version : I want to shoot my rifles...

zeddy
02-24-2008, 4:59 PM
Hey guys,
Last year i bought two ak's, well wasrs from here in So Cal. Wasr 10 and Wasr 3. Both came with the MMG. Both are detachable mags. Couple months ago, I bought pistol grips for them. If I switched the MMG to pistol grips would my wasrs be legal? Can I shoot them at ranges or do I have to shoot them at the desert. Shooting the gun with the MMG sucks. It feels so much better with the pistol grips. could anyone give me advise on what would you do? thanks.

jandmtv
02-24-2008, 5:03 PM
by removing the mmg and installing the pistol grip, you will be manufacturing a illegal assault rifle! which is a felony! if you have already done so, take off the pistol grip ASAP!

now if you want to have a pistol grip on that rifle or rifles, first get a mag lock, also known as a bullet button, you can find the ak bullet button aka BB from cold war shooters, or 10 percent firearms.

after you install the BB, then take off the MMG and install the pistol grip.

bunni
02-24-2008, 5:03 PM
You'll have to 'permanently' fix the mag if you want a build with features.

Patriot
02-24-2008, 5:08 PM
You cannot have both detachable magazines and pistol grips in CA unless

(a) It is a registered assault weapon that you have possessed since 1999
(b) It is a rimfire caliber gun (e.g. .22LR) [neither WASR is rimfire...]

Otherwise you would be manufacturing and possessing an illegal assault weapon.

Now you could do that out of state if it is legal over there, but NOT IN CA.

Doesn't matter where in CA (ranges, deserts, wherever) - it's is still illegal.

jandmtv
02-24-2008, 5:11 PM

WRONG! all you would need is a mag lock, like the JJPearl bullet button, or the RadLock.

FEDUPWBS
02-24-2008, 5:15 PM
Nice first post:rolleyes::rolleyes: Welcome to the hobby.

Patriot
02-24-2008, 5:15 PM
There is a flowchart that is very helpful in understanding what is illegal and what is not when it comes to CA assault weapon laws - take a look:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

leelaw
02-24-2008, 5:16 PM
Removing the MMG and installing a pistol grip will be manufacturing an assault WEAPON, which is a felony. Then you get into fun issues like transportation and possession of an illegal assault weapon, which are also felonies (hey, you just struck out all at once!)

The only way you may install a pistol grip is if you install a fixed magazine, or a bullet button style system, as mentioned above, or if the rifle is converted to bolt-action ONLY.

Just a question, but since you said you haven't removed the MMGs and installed the PGs, how do you know it feels so much better to shoot it with a pistol grip?

shark92651
02-24-2008, 5:58 PM
Zeddy,

If you absolutely must have a standard pistol grip on your WASR, just install one of these: Raddlock AK Magazine Lock (http://riflegear.com/p-268-raddlock-ak-series-magazine-lock-with-key.aspx)

Installation is easy: Installing the Raddlock AK Magazine Lock (http://riflegear.com/t-howto-raddlock-ak.aspx)

Then you can install a standard pistol grip as you will no longer have a "detachable magazine", rather you will have one that can be removed with a tool. Also, once you do this conversion make sure to NEVER use a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds as that also would make it an illegal Assault Weapon

Full Clip
02-24-2008, 6:21 PM
Is this guy for real or just a DOJ spook?:cool:

Ech0Sierra
02-24-2008, 6:23 PM
IDK, but be careful.

zeddy
02-24-2008, 6:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't want to get into any trouble. I went to Angeles Shooting range today and there was this guy that had a romanian ak with a thumbhole stock. I talked to him and ask questions. He said that he grandfathered the rifle. It had a detachable high cap mag. Would that be ok?

I'm probably going to get the raddlock mag lock. Now, all I have are high cap mags. 40 and 30 rds. Aren't there 10rd mags that look like 30 round mags?

I also know of this copper that has an ar, pistol grip w/ high cap. mags. he picked the gun up around the same time i did. I know he can have the high cap mags, but the grip?? could he use the raddlock with the high cap mags and pistol grip?

zeddy
02-24-2008, 6:33 PM
got it. thanks a lot...

Ech0Sierra
02-24-2008, 6:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't want to get into any trouble. I went to Angeles Shooting range today and there was this guy that had a romanian ak with a thumbhole stock. I talked to him and ask questions. He said that he grandfathered the rifle. It had a detachable high cap mag. Would that be ok?
He registered it before 2000.

I'm probably going to get the raddlock mag lock. Now, all I have are high cap mags. 40 and 30 rds. Aren't there 10rd mags that look like 30 round mags?
Yes, remember not to use the High-Caps.

I also know of this copper that has an ar, pistol grip w/ high cap. mags. he picked the gun up around the same time i did. I know he can have the high cap mags, but the grip?? could he use the raddlock with the high cap mags and pistol grip?
LEOs are exempt from AW laws if they are buying/building/importing for agency purposes.

StraightShooter
02-24-2008, 6:44 PM
You need to install a Bullet Button BEFORE you put your pistol grip on. If you do it in reverse order you are a felon. You can get 10/30 round magazines which hold only 10 rounds but look like 30 rounders. In my opinion they are crap and if you break a follower (like i did) you have to just throw them away because you cant get a new follower in there. If you have high cap mags (more than 10 rounds) then you had to have owned them before the ban. If you didnt you need to disassemble them immediately and get rid of them. You can only use 10 round mags with a bullet button. Only with your monster man grip can you use legally owned high caps.

As far as this cop you know goes, he can pretty much do what he wants and should know the laws about AW's anyways (although he most likely doesnt). If he doesnt know the laws then it would be a great time to tell him about Calguns so he can get educated about OLL'S and such so that he can inform other cops in his department about legally owned AR variants and AK variants.

Also, since you are new here.... go easy on the "is this legal" type questions for a little and make sure you use the search function at the top of the page. ALMOST all of thee types of questions have been answered multiple times and you will save yourself from the scrutiny of people thinking you are some DOJ troll. Good luck and welcome.

zeddy
02-24-2008, 6:53 PM
Also, since you are new here.... go easy on the "is this legal" type questions for a little and make sure you use the search function at the top of the page. ALMOST all of thee types of questions have been answered multiple times and you will save yourself from the scrutiny of people thinking you are some DOJ troll. Good luck and welcome.

Will do, didn't think of it...

KenpoProfessor
02-24-2008, 6:56 PM

You really have some reading to do there boss, that permanent stuff was a memo and never had legal tender. It has since been removed from the Div... ooops, Bureau of Firearms' (they were downgraded :D) website.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

rksimple
02-24-2008, 7:27 PM
hopefully you owned the 30 and 40 round mags prior to jan 1 2000.if not they are illigal.

Wrong. Possession is not illegal. The manner of acquiring them is the problem.

mblat
02-24-2008, 7:44 PM
Is this guy for real or just a DOJ spook?:cool:

My thoughts exactly.....