PDA

View Full Version : has anybody tried counterboring an sks?

duenor
02-24-2008, 4:46 PM
counterboring was commonplace in the russian military - indeed, it is uncommon to find an m38 mosin nagant that hasn't been counterbored. counterboring is basically reaming out the muzzle end the barrel about 1.5 inches so that the rifling screw up caused by cleaning rods is mitigated.

recently, i put together an sks, with all 922r parts, in a tapco t6 stock. this is just a fun project - my other sks rifles are unmolested. this one is beat all to hell (it's actually this one http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71139&highlight=sks), numbers don't match, and the bore is basically a sewer pipe.

i was going to just relegate this to "cool noisemaker" status, until i noticed that the rifling up to about 2" away from the muzzle is actually... well not ok, but not ruined either.

http://i22.tinypic.com/16064x.jpg
so, i figured - if counterboring works on m38s... has anyone tried it on an sks? and, if so, any tips?

kev

Roccobro
02-26-2008, 4:24 PM
First, how does it shoot? I'm not just talking with wolf ammo, but with some decent quality brass cased stuff to get a baseline on accuracy. (My M1 carbine shot Wolf great, and American Ammunition like buckshot!)

Second, you can clean up the muzzle end with a few different ways to make the exit area (rifling) more consistent and increase accuracy.

Third, you can try fire lapping the bore to smooth things up a bit if the accuracy isn't all quite there.

Last, what is the barrel length on the M59's? IIRC, it is just a bit over legal. But if you have optics and don't mind losing the front sight, you might want to shorten the whole thing. You can get the barrel cut down and re-crowned (eliminating step #2)

But if you want to be a candidate for counter boring SKS's, I say go for it! But be sure to be able to back up your gut feeling that it "shoots better" than it did. Even just to satisfy yourself. :) Do post your results!

Justin

Patriot
02-26-2008, 4:33 PM
First, how does it shoot? I'm not just talking with wolf ammo, but with some decent quality brass cased stuff to get a baseline on accuracy. (My M1 carbine shot Wolf great, and American Ammunition like buckshot!)

Second, you can clean up the muzzle end with a few different ways to make the exit area (rifling) more consistent and increase accuracy.

Third, you can try fire lapping the bore to smooth things up a bit if the accuracy isn't all quite there.

Last, what is the barrel length on the M59's? IIRC, it is just a bit over legal. But if you have optics and don't mind losing the front sight, you might want to shorten the whole thing. You can get the barrel cut down and re-crowned (eliminating step #2)

But if you want to be a candidate for counter boring SKS's, I say go for it! But be sure to be able to back up your gut feeling that it "shoots better" than it did. Even just to satisfy yourself. :) Do post your results!

Justin

I think all military SKS variants have a barrel of 20". There are a few Chinese commercial models like the "Para," "Cowboy," and SKS-D/M that have 16" barrels.