PDA

View Full Version : Which cleaning kit

Percenter3
01-24-2014, 1:41 PM
Im fixin to buy a new universal cleaning kit, and they have 2 options: one with a pull cord, and the other with a push rod. What do u recommend? I know I can always count on the advice I get here on CG

Kodemonkey
01-24-2014, 2:43 PM
I prefer a rod, but the hoppes borsnake is great for a range bag. I like the Mpro7 line - they make a kit. It doesn't stink, but requires a little more work than say, the kerosene based Hoppes #9. I still use Hoppes for bores when I have adequate ventilation. Mpro has zero smell and you don't need to wear gloves (although the cheap nitrile gloves from Costco are awesome for cleaning guns, toilets, and changing the oil on your motorcycle)

http://www.amazon.com/M-Pro-Tactical-Universal-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B003H6DHBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390607032&sr=8-1&keywords=mpro7+kit

Kodemonkey
01-24-2014, 2:49 PM
If you want to buy the best cleaning rod - I have tried many and I believe this to be the best. Carbon rod doesn't scratch anything and it's just plain comfortable. Not cheap though. If you aren't cleaning practically every weekend like I do, stick to a kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/550094/tipton-deluxe-1-piece-cleaning-rod-27-to-45-caliber-26-carbon-fiber-8-x-32-thread

Divernhunter
01-25-2014, 10:07 AM
If you get a rod kit be sure it is a one piece coated or SS or Carbon rod. The 3 piece Alum rods will riun a barrel. I use a couple if Dewey rods and like them. I know someone who had a carbon fiber rod break and go into his hand so I stay away from them.

Actually it is best to put your own "kit" together.

CK_32
01-25-2014, 10:22 AM
I build my own. I'm a Dewey rod fan.

As for ready to go kits Otis usually runs the show. $$$ tho.

DO NOT USE 3 PEICE RODS!!! I've snapped 3 already. Finally called it quits. Only thing they are good for now is pistol cleaning rods.

2shotjoe
01-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Both?

Bruce wished he owned a Droid RAZR.

Intimid8tor
01-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Im fixin to buy a new universal cleaning kit, and they have 2 options: one with a pull cord, and the other with a push rod. What do u recommend? I know I can always count on the advice I get here on CG

Don't bother. Buy a couple Dewey rods and a set of jags, the brushes you need and some patches. You'll have the stuff you need and won't have the stuff you don't. It will cost you a little more to start, but less later on.

If you are talking about a cleaning kit for the range bag, then Dewey rods are not the answer.

Percenter3
01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Im not getting a definitive answer

Still torn between pull cord or rod

duggan
01-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Pull cord pro: Quick and easy to use and store.
Pull cord con: Hard to clear an obstruction with a limp noodle.

houstonwehaveaproblem
01-25-2014, 12:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Otis-Elite-Cleaning-System-Optics/dp/B001QVR4K6/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4

I got one of these for christmas... AND HOLY CRAP its a great kit. I love it.

CK_32
01-25-2014, 1:37 PM
Can I ask really tho?? I see this in every cleaning rod thread for bore snakes...

What is, "The field"? I see this tossed around a LOT by many guys I know do not hunt, are not military. So what exactly is this "field" that cleaning rods don't fit with? Cause if its the range I easily take and use both my 36" and 20" dewey rods to the range and clean my guns (rarely) with ease.

And if the "field" is military application, I work on base, and all my friends and co workers are vets or currently active and none of them have ever purchased or used a otis or any bore snake aside from the issued cleaning kit which they hardly ever used for inspection, boot or behind gate?

For hunting or I can get that but even then how often do you really clean your rifle in the stand? I don't hunt but I know, no hunters will bring a solvent on a hunt because deer will smell that sh** miles away and most hunts last all of 2 days if that.

So what is this "field" everyone is talking about??

Percenter3
01-25-2014, 1:38 PM
Duggan I like the way u put that

Stockton
01-25-2014, 1:40 PM
One o'r yonder....duh

Can'thavenuthingood
01-25-2014, 4:00 PM
So what is this "field" everyone is talking about??

Field is simply away from home base, away from your permanent quarters, the place where all your other stuff is, the address on your drivers license.

Vick

bsg
01-25-2014, 6:14 PM
for my primary gun cleaning kit, i don't use a prepackaged grouping sold as a 'does-it-all' offering. i have found that i am best off to pick and choose individual items i want for my gun cleaning kit, rather than to go with a universal kit;YMMV.

my gun cleaning kit revolves around the box that contains my cleaning tools, equipment and other items i deem worthy of inclusion. i use a large old UMCO Model 4080U fishing tackle box that has many foldout trays with multi-shaped/sized compartments for storing cleaning tools/components. under the foldout trays is a fairly vast storage area that accommodates large items that don't fit elsewhere in the box. having a box that i personally picked for my specific needs allows ample room for me to have a more complete gun cleaning kit.

Divernhunter
01-25-2014, 7:34 PM
Still not sure? Get a bore snake for some uses. Be sure to get the stuff and one or more good one piece cleaning rods (such as Dewey) and build your kit.
I have a box from Midway designed for cleaning. It even has a cradle for your rifle. I use a number of rods and bought a piece of PVC pipe(4" for me) with 2 caps. One glued and the other not for storing my rods. This protects them from getting bent etc.

However if you are planning to use Hoppies #9 then forget the whole thing. You are just wasting your money. Get a cheap one size try to fit all with 3 piece alum rod and have fun damaging the barrel.