PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting out of .308

caduckgunner
02-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been thinking about getting out of .308/7.62x51 lately. I only own one rifle in .308, a fixed mag FAL. My bolt action hunting rifles are all chambered in 30-06. With the price of ammo for it, It never leaves the safe. I have 3 1/2 S.A. battlepacks for it and that is it. I do have a Dillon, but don't have much in .308. Should I sell it and invest in more 5.56 and 7.62x39 goodness or will I regret it later.

Socal858
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
i like the bigger boom of 308. ive thought many times of getting rid of it to get back into 223 but the boom is just fun. you can still find surplus bullets and some powder on sale for cheap out there and keep costs lower

i wish there were detachable mag guns in 30-06 so i could use all that cheap greek HXP

retail 223 is ridiculously expensive as well. i only got in the centerfire rifle game in late 2006 and 223 went from 25 cents to almost double that . .

aplinker
02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
You already know the answer you're going to get.

This is a gun board. :D

I would say I wouldn't sell a FAL, just because the future is so uncertain with firearms. You might regret it in the future.

308 is on par with the cost of 223 in brass plinking rounds now.

Sniper3142
02-24-2008, 1:02 PM
If you need a rifle chambered in .308Win (7.62x51) then keep it.

Different tools for different jobs. .223 has it's strengths and uses has does every other round. Only YOU can decide if a particular caliber fits your needs and uses.

TonyNorCal
02-24-2008, 1:09 PM
I'd say keep the FAL even if you're not shooting it now. FALs are terrific rifles. I sold one a year or so ago and I'm sorry I let it go.

Stash it away. In 1 year or 5 years you may want to shoot 7.62x51 again. Also, if you sell now and decide in the future you want a FAL again chances are you'll pay more.

This just seems like a rifle you might want to consider keeping even if it's not being used now. Stash it away. The you'll have it come a rainy day.

FALs are special:)

technique
02-24-2008, 1:36 PM
I got out of .308 i don't regret it either! More 5.56 for me.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
02-24-2008, 1:44 PM
I would say keep it. Might not be able to get another.
It will go up in value.

!@#$
02-24-2008, 2:02 PM
you are already almost out of 308.:p

Keylock
02-24-2008, 4:11 PM
If it shoots straight, keep it.

-hanko
02-24-2008, 4:29 PM
I have more than a few FAL's & I'm at a similar impasse...2 nights ago I'm up late reading arfcom and find a thread about KISS/Israeli carbines. Instantly hooked.

Having said that, I sold my last fal unbuilt receiver today, it lasted a little more than an hour before it was snapped up. I have 2 armalite lowers on the way & I'm spending way too much time looking at retro AR parts and cruising zahal.org's website looking for Izzy goodies. Not to mention a little target-type upper I picked up thanks to Armalite testing me with their Christmas sale. I failed.

Still, I have ZERO plans to sell any completed FAL's. They're not making many more.

-hanko

duenor
02-24-2008, 4:58 PM
if just every active member here sold off all of their guns that they didn't shoot more than once a year, there would be a tidal wave of guns to rival that wierd lsd-inspired scene in Zardoz.

keep it... ammo prices WILL go down. and if they don't, you can always make your own.
right now i'm trying to load 110gr m1 carbine bullets into my 308 bolt actions, using surplus powder.

Solidmch
02-24-2008, 5:13 PM
i have 308. I shoot far more .223 but will not sell all of my 308 heard quit yet .

TheMan
02-24-2008, 5:26 PM
If you are looking for a cheap to shoot 7.62 caliber rifle, why not get something that shoots 7.62x54R? It is still fairly cheap to buy.

I wouldn't sell the FAL though. I rarely shoot my FAL, but I have no plans to sell it. I have some ammo stashed away for it, and every once in a while it is fun to take it out and shoot it.

NickN27
02-24-2008, 6:22 PM
definitely different tools for different jobs, keep em! Try plinking with 5.56 or 7.62x39, build an ar with those uppers and shoot more, hopefully prices will come down to reasonable levels or we will "get used to it" I doubt that though. *sigh* you can always get in to reloading too, its inevitable if you have any kind of spare time on your hands and you love to shoot, and dont want to spend a ton doing it.

I am thinking about getting the 7.62x39 upper for one of my ARs just to shoot to plink with some cheap wolf stuff, .20-.25 a round is better than .33-.40 ya know? OR even cheaper a 9mm upper. This will get me by for now, I have zero time to reload, so I pay I guess. my .02

N.

apbrian112
02-24-2008, 6:48 PM
i sold my 308 (bolt action how 1500) a couple months back cus i wasn't shooting it enough (only shot it once or twice) and really wanted to get a longer shooting rifle (i have ar's) so i just placed my order last night for a bohica far50... i regret selling any of my firearms but i always find a replacement...
in the case of your fal, if there is something else that you want more and will shoot more then by all means sell it and purchase the new firearm. hopefully you won't have that small sense of regret. :28:

Spica
02-24-2008, 8:14 PM
I say "keep it", I am roughly in the same boat. I have a Cali FAL and a Tikka T3 and I can't afford to feed them both, but neither one is leaving. To satisfy my need for trigger time I just shoot 22lr.:shrug:

-hanko
02-24-2008, 8:19 PM
in the case of your fal, if there is something else that you want more and will shoot more then by all means sell it and purchase the new firearm. hopefully you won't have that small sense of regret. :28:
Uh, have you ever owned an FAL? If so, your response is very unusual; not that I disagree w/ you, but most fal fanatics I've known would NOT part with their rifle;)

-hanko

thedrickel
02-24-2008, 8:31 PM
Uh, have you ever owned an FAL? If so, your response is very unusual; not that I disagree w/ you, but most fal fanatics I've known would NOT part with their rifle;)

-hanko

Especially if they only had ONE.

C.G.
02-24-2008, 8:53 PM
My pick is not on the poll.

Keep the FAL and get a bolt action .308 to keep it company.:)

damon1272
02-24-2008, 9:14 PM
Dude,
Your website is a PREPAREDNESS website. PREPAREDNESS is your business. What other caliber does the military use? What is the one of other most common calibers around? Keep it or you'll regret it.

apbrian112
02-25-2008, 12:07 AM

-hanko

no, no... never owned a FAL... just been into ar's since i used to carry its select fire varient. i have no doubt that the FAL is an awesome rifle. i was just saying if there was something else that was catching his eye, that he might/could switch it up. evidently he is in the vast minority of FAL owners seeing as how he's even considering selling it (his only) to fund some other projects... it was just my .02 :)

Biff...
02-25-2008, 7:28 AM
I voted for keeping it. It doesn't hurt you to have one piece of your preps in .308. I have most of my collection in .223, but still have a saiga .308 with a few rounds to keep it company.

trinydex
02-25-2008, 5:48 PM
Dude,
Your website is a PREPAREDNESS website. PREPAREDNESS is your business. What other caliber does the military use? What is the one of other most common calibers around? Keep it or you'll regret it.

you guys think that the commonality of the 308 will bring the price down again someday? i had my heart set on 308 until reading this.... i was going to skip 223 because the 223 is many times just as expensive (already mentioned).

i mean the us military is using 308 in iraq for those m14s... does that make it cheaper or more expensive though? if the scar heavy ever gets play then even more 308s will be used...

i just don't feel the ammo market for american/ar style weapons is the same as ak style weapons where the more that are being shot the lower the price drops...

vf111
02-25-2008, 5:59 PM
Keep the FAL and get an M1A to keep 'er company.....:43:

JohnJW
02-25-2008, 9:58 PM
Keep the FAL and get an M1A to keep 'er company.....:43:

I agree, get a M1A for the ability to use detachable magazine. Calibers go in and out fashion. 10 years ago it was .223/9mm, now the pendulum seems to be swinging back toward .308/.45.

Besides, guns don't depreciate that much especially if you wait for a good deal.