PDA

View Full Version : rifle kit

jamesob
02-23-2008, 6:00 PM
i got my son a lower receiver and was thinking about putting it together so we can shooting. well here is my problem, i am on a very limited budget and dont feel like spending 600+ on a kit for my 8 year old son. i was thinking about the blackthorne kits just so he would have somthing to shoot with me. i know they have mixed reviews about their stuff so has anybody have their stuff ? good or bad let me know.

Josh3239
02-23-2008, 6:10 PM
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=359883

Hit vote to see the results.

bwiese
02-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Run, don't walk. Blackthorne = former Hesse/Vulcan.

There are bottomfeeders, and the feeders that feed off the bottomfeeders; IMHO these guys are the latter.

Save your money til you can get a decent upper - or buy a used upper (of a good brand) from someone needing to recover some cash.

apbrian112
02-24-2008, 1:54 AM
look at del-ton or jtdistributing for ar15 kits. there are favorable reviews on arfcom and they should be less than $600 depending on the accessories you pick. either that or look at buying used here on the FS forum.

aplinker
02-24-2008, 1:59 AM
How old is your son? You could build it as a dedicated 22lr

If you can wait there's always the Tax Time sale from Bushmaster.

Keep your eyes on the For Sale forum, too.

Or get a CMMG from one of the vendors here + LPK + BB + Stock for about $650.

-hanko
02-24-2008, 6:19 AM
i was thinking about the blackthorne kits just so he would have somthing to shoot with me. i know they have mixed reviews about their stuff so has anybody have their stuff ? good or bad let me know.
Reviews are not mixed, they're universally awful. Google also hesse and vulcan arms. Beyond what's on the web, I can confirm that quality is generally lacking and customer service, if you need it, is non-existant. :eek:

AIM Surplus had very good deals on CMMG assembled lowers last week...try http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AR_CMMG_MOD4SA_AR15_.223_5.56x45_Lower_Receiver_wi th_Internals.html ...this will give you boy something he can use indefinitely.

-hanko

jamesob
02-24-2008, 10:27 AM
How old is your son? You could build it as a dedicated 22lr

If you can wait there's always the Tax Time sale from Bushmaster.

Keep your eyes on the For Sale forum, too.

Or get a CMMG from one of the vendors here + LPK + BB + Stock for about $650.
my son is 8 and he already has a 10/22. i looked at blackthornes web site and the stuff they sell is lewis machine and tool or the other was lsb? barrels are wilson or mossberg. the reason i was asking about them is because thats the same stuff model1 and m&a sells.