PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing 20" upper

MadMax55
02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Did a search and didn't come up with anything specific.

Looking to do a build with an LMT lower and add the BEST 20" upper regardless of price.

My definition of BEST = Closest to Mil Spec as possible. Not for target shooting exclusively. Looking to get as close to a GI issue 20" A2 or A4 (i wouldn't mind a flat top) as I can possibly get.

Biggest needs are chrome lined barrel and chrome lined bore.

I've spent a few hours on the net and haven't found anything definitive. (Plenty of information on 16" uppers and plenty of manufacturers but thin on 20")

Hoping the combined knowledge of the board can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

ohsmily
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Uh, what is the difference?

One of these would be a fine option. Just make sure to select the chrome lining option. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267

Centurion_D
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd say you have to look around for a colt upper if you want as close as possible to milspec. Try fidelis firearms.. http://www.fidelisfirearms.com/ It's just a matter of finding someone selling colt uppers. You're gonna pay a lot but then again price doesn't matter as you stated.

docsmileyface
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
www.pkfirearms.com

Sabre Defence A4 20" upper is about as close to a GI upper you can get.

bwiese
02-23-2008, 1:49 PM

Uh, what is the difference?

He probably specified both, because a limited number of firearms actually have chrome-lined chambers but not chromed bores.

Of particular note in this category were a subset of Colt Match Target rifles in 96-98. I also believe (not 100% sure) that Austrian STG58 FALs have chromed chambers but unlined bores - since I threw out my STG bbls and replaced them w/chromed Izzy and Argy bbls I can't be sure.

jacques
02-23-2008, 1:53 PM
I bought my 20" CMMG Govt upper from www.Riflegear.com.

It was the best price I could find after searching for awhile. It is as close as you will get to Colt, and is a higher quality then many others out there. And not only that, it was here the next day. You can call him and he will answer your questions real nice and not treat you like some .... well, you wont get that cocky attitude that a lot of people have. And I don't work for him or anything, just my experience was good.

ohsmily
02-23-2008, 2:30 PM
He probably specified both, because a limited number of firearms actually have chrome-lined chambers but not chromed bores.

Of particular note in this category were a subset of Colt Match Target rifles in 96-98. I also believe (not 100% sure) that Austrian STG58 FALs have chromed chambers but unlined bores - since I threw out my STG bbls and replaced them w/chromed Izzy and Argy bbls I can't be sure.

So, again, what is the difference between the bore and barrel? He didn't say chrome-lined bore and chamber, he said chrome lined bore and barrel.

MadMax55
02-24-2008, 9:32 AM
I apologize ohsmily. Being the internet I should have double checked my terminology. bwiese knew what I meant to say and he corrected for me (thanks bwiese).

Appreciate the help on this topic.

All responses have led me in the right direction (which is to spend more money than I first intended :)).