PDA

View Full Version : SKS Problem

Nikola
02-22-2008, 1:12 PM
I went to the range today with my Yugo SKS. I had a weird problem, and I couldn't figure it out.

Whenever I fired a round, the bolt would jam shut somehow. I tried with the gas valve open and shut; made no difference. I had to pry it open with a screwdriver. The casing seemed to be ejecting properly once I pried the bolt open. Any thoughts? It cycles fine with snap caps, so this is somehow unique to a fired casing.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-22-2008, 1:16 PM
Switch ammo and see what happens. Also, is the chamber incredibly filthy?
Oh yeah I just remembered something; you said it's Yugo right? Is the gas setting on 'grenade'? This would cause what your describing I think.

Found it:
Take a look here and see if this is the problem.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/lastgreatsks/index.asp

One of the most common questions I get through the website is:

Jamie, I just purchased an Yugo SKS and :

* When I go to the range it does not eject the spent cartridges;or
* I have to cycle the bolt manually to get the carbine to fire; or
* Aren't they supposed to be a semi-auto firearm?

The problem most likely is that the carbine's gas shut-off valve as pictured above is set to the grenade launch or gas off position. In this position the gas is vented off and never reaches the gas piston to drive back the bolt and bolt carrier, thus cycling the action.

To remedy this problem you should place your gas shut-off valve as pictured above in the semi-auto position, forward and to the right. This will direct vented gas back through the gas tube and drive the gas piston back into the gas piston extension rod. The gas piston extension rod will impact the bolt carrier and drive the bolt to the rear of the receiver.

If after setting the valve correctly you still have the same problem, then you should remove the gas tube and make sure the gas port (a small hole below the shut-off valve that ports directly into the barrel) is clean of carbon and dirt.

If this does not remedy the problem you probably have either a faulty gas shut-off valve or a possible leak in the gas system. Depending on your skill set and comfort with attempting a repair on your firearm you can purchase all of the parts from multiple sources.

jamesob
02-22-2008, 1:18 PM
make sure theres not any burrs or rough spots where your bolt and carrier are together. also make sure your gas port on your barrel is clear. thats all i can think of.

Nikola
02-22-2008, 1:47 PM
I tried with the gas valve set on semi-auto and on grenade. When it jammed, I couldn't hand cycle it; it was stuck on something. I'll look for burrs.

caduckgunner
02-22-2008, 1:50 PM
I had the same problem with both my Yugos. Go to http://www.cncwarrior.com and order a new gas valve. That solved the problem in both of mine.

Nikola
02-22-2008, 1:53 PM
I have a new gas valve, one of the stainless steel ones. I think my problem has to do with the bolt since I had the same problem however the gas valve was set.

caduckgunner
02-22-2008, 2:09 PM
Google "sks paper clip trick", if you have replaced the gas valve, it sounds like there is leak in the gas system.

AJD
02-22-2008, 2:22 PM
This is a common problem with Yugos. I experienced it as well. What usually happens is that a poorly functioning gas system does not allow the bolt to go far enough back to make the casing strike the ejector. So as a reslut the case is jammed back into the chamber, making it very difficult to remove. Fixing the gas sytem with a new valve, paperclip fix or just finding a way to make sure the gas tube is always pushed up tight against the valve to create less leak area solves this. However, if I undertood you correctly you said that you experienced this issue with the valve in the "off" or grenade launch position. If that's the case then I would suspect you have a sticky chamber that may need to be cleaned.

tempdrummer
02-22-2008, 4:22 PM
I had the same problem at one point with my 59/66. I figured out that the little selector switch (that you push up to remove the gas tube) was popping out of place when I fired a round. This would then cause the bolt to jam. I bent the switch back a little bit so it was tighter. Went to the range again and it was flawless.

This is the switch im talking about:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/graphics/l/15.jpg

Nikola
02-22-2008, 4:27 PM
I had the same problem at one point with my 59/66. I figured out that the little selector switch (that you push up to remove the gas tube) was popping out of place when I fired a round. This would then cause the bolt to jam. I bent the switch back a little bit so it was tighter. Went to the range again and it was flawless.

This is the switch im talking about:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/graphics/l/15.jpg

Interesting...I just tried to mess with the lever and work the bolt. I couldn't get it to jam. How does the lever being out of place affect the bolt? Does it jam the op rod somehow?

tempdrummer
02-22-2008, 5:51 PM
Interesting...I just tried to mess with the lever and work the bolt. I couldn't get it to jam. How does the lever being out of place affect the bolt? Does it jam the op rod somehow?

You'd have to actually fire the gun. If the lever pops up and the gas tube moves at all, then the gas system wont function properly and the bolt wont fully cycle...or cycle at all for that matter. Its not necessarily a common problem but it did happen on mine.