PDA

View Full Version : OLL at the Range and More

Pugster
02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi All,

I caught the EBR bug and now I will be building out my first OLL. There is one thing that worries me: When I load my rifle at the range, is it legal for me to remove the mag from my BB locked rifle? IIRC, non-"detachable" mags are defined as by having to use a tool to remove the magazine, isn't that right? I think it should be legal but I would like to confirm.

Also have another question, what exactly is the purpose of the Gas Block? Is it merely a place to put the front sights or does it affect the AR gas impingement system?

WhiteDingo
02-21-2008, 11:28 PM
The gas block routed the gases from the barrel to the gas tube, rifle won't work without it (any caliber that actually uses DI anyways).

To my understanding, yes, it is legal to remove the magazine (with your tool).

s2000news
02-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Removing the mag with a BB is not an issue. (From my understanding.)

The only real issue I see is if you have a P50 installed, you unscrew the set screw and REMOVE the 'tool' leaving the lower with the ability to install and remove the mag without a 'tool'.

With the BB, the lock resets when you remove the tool, never allowing it to be open without the tool in use.

I think I'm right. Well, hope I am.

FlyingPen
02-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I think for me, even though I'll have a BB installed, I'm going to break open the rifle to load it and only with a 10 rounder 10 size fixed on to the BB.

I'll probably do this a while until I'm comfortable using the BB like it was meant to be at the range... and depending on who's around :)

sharpshot4life89
02-22-2008, 12:49 AM
The only real issue I see is if you have a P50 installed, you unscrew the set screw and REMOVE the 'tool' leaving the lower with the ability to install and remove the mag without a 'tool'.

what if you unscrew partially, but do not "remove" the set screw, then push the mag release with included allen wrench? i mean i dont think anyone would ever go through all of that trouble...but technically/hypothetically would it be okay?

s2000news
02-22-2008, 1:10 AM
what if you unscrew partially, but do not "remove" the set screw, then push the mag release with included allen wrench? i mean i dont think anyone would ever go through all of that trouble...but technically/hypothetically would it be okay?

I have a BB, but from my understanding on a P50, its the allen wrench being removed from the lower while the set screw is not locked down.

At that point, the lower can install and remove the mag without any further 'tool' assistance. :)

So yeah, as long as the tool is always attached, I think you are okay. But I found the BB to be a more friendly interpretation of the law. I find the spirit of the law and the letter of the law is very different.

I don't think you can break the letter of the law with a BB as easily as you can with a P50.

jandmtv
02-22-2008, 1:26 AM
you dont need to brake your rifle open to reload, ive dropped my mag using the BB next to 2 cops on separate occasions at angeles range, they both walked over and asked questions. but when they saw how it worked, they thanked me for the information and walked away.

leelaw
02-22-2008, 1:36 AM

DO NOT DO THIS!

Even if you leave the allen wrench in the set screw, with the screw backed out it is possible to actuate the magazine release by pressing the button. This is a detachable magazine configuration, and if you have any other evil features, you just created an assault weapon.

If you have a P50 or similar, then keep the damned 10rd magazine locked in place, and only take it out when you've removed the upper, pistol grip, and a collapsing/folding/thumbhole stock (if applicable)

jandmtv
02-22-2008, 1:48 AM
DO NOT DO THIS!

Even if you leave the allen wrench in the set screw, with the screw backed out it is possible to actuate the magazine release by pressing the button. This is a detachable magazine configuration, and if you have any other evil features, you just created an assault weapon.

If you have a P50 or similar, then keep the damned 10rd magazine locked in place, and only take it out when you've removed the upper, pistol grip, and a collapsing/folding/thumbhole stock (if applicable)

isnt removing just the upper enough? without the upper, the lower is not a semi auto centerfire anymore. right?

leelaw
02-22-2008, 1:55 AM
isnt removing just the upper enough? without the upper, the lower is not a semi auto centerfire anymore. right?

Technically, that is correct.

When it comes to that specific situation with OLLs, I tend to play "better safe than sorry"

jandmtv
02-22-2008, 2:09 AM
i hear ya, just wanted to make sure. I just think there is too much room to mess up with the p50, the BB is a safer way to go, weather you want to drop the mag or brake open the rifle to reload. both methods are legal with the BB.

aplinker
02-22-2008, 2:10 AM
Also have another question, what exactly is the purpose of the Gas Block? Is it merely a place to put the front sights or does it affect the AR gas impingement system?

This should explain it well:

http://www.barnesengineering.com/AR15animation/index.htm