PDA

View Full Version : Varminting

jcaoloveshine
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
What type of license is required for varminting and where you apply to get one?

CavTrooper
02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
You need a varminting licence and you can pick one up at the department of varminting office in your town.

Im kidding.

Try google. CA DFG regs. It works!

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/index.html

mk3mitch
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
You need a varminting licence and you can pick one up at the department of varminting office in your town.

Hahaha!

Army
02-22-2008, 6:53 AM
All taking of fur bearing mammals in California, requires a regular hunting license issued by the state.

The exception is when you are taking small, non-game varmints (skunk, ground squirrel, opossum, mole, gopher, jackrabbit etc).

The emphasis is most definitely on NON-GAME animals. Taking coyote, bobcat, raccoon, etc is license required.

A way to keep track, is to decide if the fur is marketable or not. If there is a buyer or real market for it.......you need a license to shoot it. This is just a rule of thumb, and is certainly not worded in any part of the F&G regulations.

mousegun
02-22-2008, 9:21 AM
This may be controversial, but my experience is that anyone carrying a legal, loaded firearm in a lawful hunting area is best advised to have a current hunting license. The only exceptions are lawful camp sites and LEOs. CDF or DFG enforcement goes by what it looks like, not what it may be. The game may be tree rats, but if squirrels or coyote are in the area, the officer will assume that's your quarry and may cite accordingly. Demeanor and attitude have a lot to do with it.

...from thirty some years cruising the Cleveland between remote microwave sites.

CHIGGA73
02-22-2008, 12:12 PM
ARMY: i was under the impression shooting jack rabbits is not legal in California. on BLM land it is ok?

mousegun
02-22-2008, 1:52 PM
ARMY: i was under the impression shooting jack rabbits is not legal in California. on BLM land it is ok?Jackrabbits are defined as "resident small game" and require a license to take. Season for taking is all year. There is no limit. CA DFG regulations extend to hunting on BLM land as I understand them.

Riodog
02-22-2008, 2:05 PM
Basically, to KILL any living creature in Calif. you need a hunting license. While I don't intend to argue chicken**** points with anyone, you'd be hard pressed to prove that you were only shooting lizards if questioned. Bobcats require a tag, coyotes do not, jacks are legal all year round

If you don't want to buy a license go to Nevada where it's not necessary to have a hunting license to shoot coyotes.

I'm getting the impression that the majority of Calgun members are not hunters but it would behoove you to know the hunting regs for the ares where you intend to shoot as the hunting regs can change the general 'shooting regs' during hunting season. You might just save yourself some grief in the long run. I'd still advise getting a hunting license as attending the class might teach you something AND with a license in possession, it gives you justification for being there with a weapon.
JMHO,
Rio

zcktomcat
02-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I was wondering, is a license required for wild pig hunting. I've heard that it isn't.

mousegun
02-22-2008, 11:17 PM
I was wondering, is a license required for wild pig hunting. I've heard that it isn't.Yes it is, as well as a tag. Tag costs $17.85 plus the license fee. You get a pig tag, you can take all the pigs in the state, if you can find one.