PDA

View Full Version : AK questions

Fjold
02-21-2008, 7:21 PM
OK, I never thought that I would say this but I need to buy an AK-style rifle.
I just want a plain-Jane commie looking 7.62x39 rifle.

What should I be looking for?
What construction issues?
Is there any particular fit and finish checks that should I do?

One other thing, why is it that there are lots of AR type rifles for sale here in the classifieds and very few AK-style rifles?

jandmtv
02-21-2008, 7:34 PM
One other thing, why is it that there are lots of AR type rifles for sale here in the classifieds and very few AK-style rifles?

thats a good question! maybe because AKs arent as easy to build, sell, then build another?

if you want a cheap AK, get a wasr, if you want a quality AK get something els. I have a hungarian AK from metroshot, fit, finish and function is top notch!

a friend of mine had a wasr, after he saw and shot mine, the wasr was on gunbroker the next day.

EDIT: oh and BTW, the wasr didnt sell

jandmtv
02-21-2008, 7:42 PM
mine shot a lot better than the wasr, with mine i shoot 10/10 on the steel plates at angeles range at 100yrds, with the wasr, i was at 3-5/10

jacques
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM

I have been seriously muuling this same question over in my head and doing a lot of research but still have not made up my mind. There are several ways to go with an AK.

1. Build one. The parts kits are out there, but apparantly not nearly as cheap as they were a few years ago because they are not being brought in in the mass quantities they were. Building one is a little risky because you have to do just that and there are a lot of decisions based on a build. Buy a receiver, bend your own, buying or borrowing (if you can find someone who has them) all the tools, press etc. Then risking screwing it all up and ruining that $150 receiver (DROS required). But there are a lot of AK's I have seen built on this forum and others that are sweet, and the satisfaction of having done it right would probably out weigh other options.

2. Convert a SAIGA. I bought a SAIGA. It is easy to convert and you have piece of mind that the parts are all brand new. SAIGA forum has all the info. I did not convert mine because I decided I like it the way it is. But I may buy another just to do that.

3. Buy one that is already built. Like JanDTV says, his is great, You can buy one for as much or cheaper than building one (without the hassle). I see on Metro shot, like he mentioned a Hungarian for $625. That would be a quality rifle. I have looked at the vendors listed on this forum and elsewhere and prices, depending on quality etc vary, personnaly I have been looking at how I could get one of those VZ58's. They are a milled receiver, a variant of the AK but real quality from Czech republic. You can find them on Gunbroker.com or

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1277

Q
02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
OK, I never thought that I would say this but I need to buy an AK-style rifle.
I just want a plain-Jane commie looking 7.62x39 rifle.

I'm thinking about selling my century m70ab2 and a few other ones, I might list it on the for sale forum.

hard to say without a price you're thinking of spending.

I would buy a ssr-85c that centerfiresystems has.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1623

FEDUPWBS
02-22-2008, 7:04 AM
PM SENT

Rocko
02-22-2008, 7:49 AM
Build it man! One of my "coworkers" builds them a lot and he says that it costs him less then $200 a rifle.

DV8
02-22-2008, 8:06 AM
Building is cheap if you plan on doing a lot, if its a one off thing its better to buy.

If you dont want to spend too much and just want the AK look, wasr is the way to go. On the high end side, I think arsenal is the best out there? I'll never spend a lot on an ak so I'll never know.

Dont know why theres not too many aks for sale, maybe its because once you have one you get hooked and cant let it go. Thats true for me at least.

plinkmeister
02-22-2008, 8:51 AM
mine shot a lot better than the wasr, with mine i shoot 10/10 on the steel plates at angeles range at 100yrds, with the wasr, i was at 3-5/10

Yeah, rrright! :rolleyes:

motorhead
02-22-2008, 9:27 AM
the akm is the easiest and cheapest military rifle to build on this planet. kits are drying up so if you plan to build, buy now.
all aks except yugo interchange so your options are endless. several mfrs. are offering ca compliant aks for sale.