PDA

View Full Version : CLP Recommendations

Heatseeker
02-21-2008, 3:47 PM
What brand CLP is everybody using on their ARs?

I'm getting ready to take my new build out for the first time and want goop her up real good before I go!

Shane916
02-21-2008, 3:49 PM
The one and only...

Break Free CLP.

http://www.pistoleer.com/breakfree/pics/clp.jpg

DB2
02-21-2008, 3:53 PM
I use the spray. Get it at Walmart

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1989_66510185

pwall
02-21-2008, 3:54 PM
ive been told not to use breakfree and to use hoppes instead. Is this person full of it?

Jicko
02-21-2008, 3:57 PM
ive been told not to use breakfree and to use hoppes instead. Is this person full of it?

Hoppes what!? (Hoppes got so many diff products)

Breakfree = the CLP referred in the military maint manual for ARs

I use other stuff for my other guns, but I use CLP(Breakfree) for my ARs.

pwall
02-21-2008, 3:58 PM
he said hoppes #9 but i guess that is just a cleaner? Breakfree acts as a cleaner and lubricant correct?

Shane916
02-21-2008, 4:00 PM

Break-Free CLP: MIL-L-63460

Need I say more? :D

he said hoppes #9 but i guess that is just a cleaner? Breakfree acts as a cleaner and lubricant correct?

CLP - Cleans Lubricates Protects

Jicko
02-21-2008, 4:01 PM

IIRC Hoppes #9 is a bore cleaner.

Breakfree is a C L P.

Feel free to use whatever for your AR. But as far as CLP recommendation, there is one and only one -> Breakfree.

PS. I also use Montana X-treme, M-Pro 7 bore gel, M-Pro 7 gun oil on my ARs, on top of breakfree.....

:D

sloguy
02-21-2008, 4:08 PM

hoppes contains ammonia. ammonia eats aluminum.

J_Rock
02-21-2008, 4:43 PM
I would recommend using hoppes solvent to clean the bore over CLP. CLP contains teflon which stays in your bore and decreases accuracy. The only thing CLP will clean out is carbon. I would recommend a dedicated lube instead of CLP. CLP burns off every easily.

Lube: Slip 2000/Militech/Machine gunners lube
Solvent: butches boreshine/hoppes #9 solvent

He@t
02-21-2008, 4:53 PM
BREAKFREE!!!!!!!!

DedEye
02-21-2008, 4:54 PM
I use the spray. Get it at Walmart

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1989_66510185

+1. I also use Win Oil, but prefer Breakfree CLP.

jandmtv
02-21-2008, 5:31 PM
i use butches boreshine and hoppes no.9 for cleaning
and birchwood casey barricade for lube.

bwiese
02-21-2008, 5:33 PM
Breakfree CLP does me fine.

Warning to those using Hoppe's #9 or Copper Solvent (or other ammonated gun cleaners) - don't use it in a chrome-lined barrel. If you feel you have to, use it for a very short period, then mop the hell out of it and use CLP afterwards.

Heatseeker
02-21-2008, 5:38 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'll head to the local Chinamart in the next day or two and pick up some Breakfree.

SemiAutoSam
02-21-2008, 5:54 PM
I use BREAKFREE CLP as well and have a word for the Wal of Mart.

http://liberalredneck.org/albums/album04/Mao_Mart.jpg

Thanks for the tips.

I'll head to the local Chinamart in the next day or two and pick up some Breakfree.

FlyingPen
02-21-2008, 5:59 PM
Breakfree CLP does me fine.

Warning to those using Hoppe's #9 or Copper Solvent (or other ammonated gun cleaners) - don't use it in a chrome-lined barrel. If you feel you have to, use it for a very short period, then mop the hell out of it and use CLP afterwards.

Wait really? That's all I've been using and all my guns are chrome lined.

duenor
02-21-2008, 6:22 PM
I dislike the spray can type CLP. It's a lot more expensive and I don't like aerosols.

mm1
02-21-2008, 7:22 PM
+1 for Breakfree CLP

Adonlude
02-21-2008, 7:42 PM
How often do you guys use a brass brush to scrub your barrel? Do you put just CLP on the bore brush to remove all fowling? I have a .22 brush with a long barrel rod that is just under the width of the brush and I worry it could scratch the barrel.

Technowizard
02-22-2008, 1:18 AM
I use EEZOX Synthetic Premium Gun Care for my firearms... works just fine for me! :D

supersonic
02-22-2008, 4:39 AM

Breakfree is a C L P.

Feel free to use whatever for your AR. But as far as CLP recommendation, there is one and only one -> Breakfree.

PS. I also use Montana X-treme, M-Pro 7 bore gel, M-Pro 7 gun oil on my ARs, on top of breakfree.....

Actually, this is not true. There are a few more CLP's out there. Off the top of my head, Hoppe's Elite Field Cleaner CLP & OTIS Ultra Bore CLP are just two of them. I've had the same results w/ all 3 (incl. B.F.), it's just a matter of preference. IIRC, MilComm makes one, too, that a certain branch of the Military has been using for over a decade, now.;)

Heatseeker
02-22-2008, 5:49 AM
A buddy at work said he read a report in an old Gun Tests magazine where they did a scientific study on CLPs. Their tests determined that the best thing to use was Tri-Flow. Have any of you ever used Tri-Flow for this app?

I'm trusting the recommendations of Break Free but I was just wondering.

supersonic
02-22-2008, 6:44 AM
A buddy at work said he read a report in an old Gun Tests magazine where they did a scientific study on CLPs. Their tests determined that the best thing to use was Tri-Flow. Have any of you ever used Tri-Flow for this app?

I'm trusting the recommendations of Break Free but I was just wondering.

I know that brand name from my car-wrenching days. As far as guns, dunno.:confused: Could be possible, considering many guys use brake cleaner & synthetic motor oil on their weapons. Makes sense, but I have never heard of a Cleaner Lubricant Protectant from Tri-Flow. I just started using this stuff called TW25B from MilComm. It comes in 3 forms, and I've been using them in this order: TW25B/ISO - soaked wipes (CLP) to clean/lube BCG & inside of upper receiver. TW25B in an ISO alcohol carrier (LP) sprayed on same surfaces as above. Then, after the spray form penetrates the pores of the metal (giving the surfaces a "permanent lubricity"), I rub in a small amount (for good measure) of TW25B synthetic grease (LP) on the same areas. I got the idea after reading an article in Guns & Weapons of Law Enforcement magazine in which they were testing some type of M4 (DPMS?) that is being issued to some of the troops in the sandbox. When mentioning cleaning/lubing, they decided to try this stuff after an armorer from one of the 4 branches said that they had been using this stuff for over a decade on the M-16 platform "with ZERO weapon failures." They gave reasons directly attributed to the use of TW25B. The stuff leaves a permanent barrier against dirt/wear. You can still use B.F. on top of previous applications of it. Might want to check it out, as I have seen dramatic results myself: http://www.hostonline2001.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=milcomm&Category_Code=data_tw25b

Guntech
07-10-2008, 5:40 PM

Breakfree is a C L P.

Hoppes No. 9 is a solvent meaning it can be used to clean all surfaces of the gun, believe me I swear by it, never damage any finish

domokun
07-10-2008, 6:12 PM
I just use Slip2000 gun lube. It does the job for the most part. If it gets really bad then it might justify using something else to break up and remove the copper/carbon in your gun.

bigdave1121
07-10-2008, 6:19 PM
I use BreakFree CLP!

Satex
07-10-2008, 6:54 PM
Whichever CLP is on sale at Turner's

bones138
07-10-2008, 8:23 PM
I rub in a small amount (for good measure) of TW25B synthetic grease (LP) on the same areas. I got the idea after reading an article in Guns & Weapons of Law Enforcement magazine in which they were testing some type of M4 (DPMS?) that is being issued to some of the troops in the sandbox. When mentioning cleaning/lubing, they decided to try this stuff after an armorer from one of the 4 branches said that they had been using this stuff for over a decade on the M-16 platform "with ZERO weapon failures." They gave reasons directly attributed to the use of TW25B. The stuff leaves a permanent barrier against dirt/wear. You can still use B.F. on top of previous applications of it. Might want to check it out, as I have seen dramatic results myself: http://www.hostonline2001.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=milcomm&Category_Code=data_tw25b

I can say that this stuff is great, I was given TW-25 by my armorer on my second deployment and didn't have a malfunction in my M4 for 2 years. I swear by it and its the only lube I'll use in my rifles now.

Darklyte27
07-10-2008, 8:28 PM
I still got a small bottle of CLP from Marine bootcamp haha!!
I use breakfree as well.

Suvorov
07-10-2008, 8:34 PM
I can say that this stuff is great, I was given TW-25 by my armorer on my second deployment and didn't have a malfunction in my M4 for 2 years. I swear by it and its the only lube I'll use in my rifles now.

Mil Comm TW-25B is the best lubricant on the market! It is great on the AR and the M-9 (in fact the preferred lubricant for the M-9 locking blocks). It comes as a oil and as a light grease. I use the grease to lubricate my weapons between cleanings and is my primary lubricant.

Oddly, most gun stores do not carry Mil-Comm but it really is top notch stuff. You can get it at Brownelles, Midway, or online at there website.

http://www.mil-comm.com/

I also use Break Free CLP as a general lubricant/cleaner. It contains a solvent unlike the Mil-Comm so works as a cleaner. I always have some Break Free in my range bag or my LBE for general use.

For more stubborn bore cleaning, I use Hoppes. I have also heard that it is not the best to use Break Free in the bore because the possibility of Teflon impingement, but I'm not sure if it is true or just urban legend.

grammaton76
07-10-2008, 8:38 PM
Here's an article that I keep getting new and interesting feedback and addendums to, every single time it gets posted on a forum:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/InDepthLubricantInfo

Bill: Got any citations for the Hoppes bit on chrome-lined barrels? First time I've heard it, and would love to add that info in.