PDA

View Full Version : Besides Ranges in the Bay Area, Where else would it be Legal to Shoot Rifles?

JayRuff
02-21-2008, 3:38 PM
National Forests? Anyone know any places?

jandmtv
02-21-2008, 3:39 PM
blm land, private ranch <---with owners permission, some national forests allow recreational shooting, check with local ranger.

50 Freak
02-21-2008, 4:29 PM
Anywhere in Oakland:43:

FallingDown
02-21-2008, 5:01 PM
That's only if you want to commit a crime. If you want to shoot legally, there's no options in Oakland.

What's the convinction rate for Oakland murders and crimes in general? LOL

MB260E
02-21-2008, 7:15 PM
blm land, private ranch <---with owners permission, some national forests allow recreational shooting, check with local ranger.

Sorry, but what is "blm land" I can't figure out the acronym. Thanks!

mk3mitch
02-21-2008, 7:39 PM
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/recreation.html

Come to san Benito country, we have literally thousands of acres of BLM land, you come and shoot all day for free. I couldnt find the map, sorry. Search the link I gave you. For just shooting, I would recomend Griswold Hills.

JayRuff
02-21-2008, 9:02 PM
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/recreation.html

Come to san Benito country, we have literally thousands of acres of BLM land, you come and shoot all day for free. I couldnt find the map, sorry. Search the link I gave you. For just shooting, I would recomend Griswold Hills.

How far is that from San Jose? Also, who do I contact for questions about shooting on the land? Thanks

s2000news
02-21-2008, 9:22 PM
How far is that from San Jose? Also, who do I contact for questions about shooting on the land? Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. I am going to call tomorrow. But I found this:

Contact the Law Enforcement rangers at (831) 630-5000 for specific information regarding guns and ammunition, or send them e-mail.

Located here: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/regulations.html

I am also in San Jose, and was thinking of taking the drive. I think this would be the closest location for drive time: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html#gothere

jamesob
02-21-2008, 9:42 PM
Sorry, but what is "blm land" I can't figure out the acronym. Thanks!bureau of land managment

JayRuff
02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I am going to call tomorrow. But I found this:

Contact the Law Enforcement rangers at (831) 630-5000 for specific information regarding guns and ammunition, or send them e-mail.

Located here: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/regulations.html

I am also in San Jose, and was thinking of taking the drive. I think this would be the closest location for drive time: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html#gothere

Please do let me know what they say, I want to know which location is the closest drive for me

jacques
02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
I also would like to know. We were thinking it would be nice to find a place way out in the booneys in the desert somewhere to go where there aren't a lot of people.

thmpr
02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Is a 1000 yards shooting allowed?

mk3mitch
02-21-2008, 10:52 PM

You don't contact anybody. You just go. I'm at Griswold Hills pretty much every week. Our local LEO officers are really cool. You park, walk, set up targets and shoot. Also, San jose is about a 45 minute drive from Hollister. Anyway. Want to meet up? Me and some friends are planning on going out this Saturday. We could show you the Country and a few good shooting spots.

mk3mitch
02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Is a 1000 yards shooting allowed?

That all depends on how far you are willing to hike! ;)

s2000news
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
You don't contact anybody. You just go. I'm at Griswold Hills pretty much every week. Our local LEO officers are really cool. You park, walk, set up targets and shoot. Also, San jose is about a 45 minute drive from Hollister. Anyway. Want to meet up? Me and some friends are planning on going out this Saturday. We could show you the Country and a few good shooting spots.

Google maps says 2 hours to the Panoche Hills location.

I would like to check out the locations on Sat, but the rain is supposed to be crazy. Still planning an outing in that weather? :)

Edit: Also, where is Griswold Hills? It doesn't appear part of BLM. Or is it? Link?

mk3mitch
02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Google maps says 2 hours to the Panoche Hills location.

I would like to check out the locations on Sat, but the rain is supposed to be crazy. Still planning an outing in that weather? :)

Edit: Also, where is Griswold Hills? It doesn't appear part of BLM. Or is it? Link?

We pretty much out it in any weather haha. And you are right, from San Jose Panoche is about 2 hours. But, we could work something out, I.E. I can drive a few people out there in one car. And Griswold is part of BLM land, I just some how cant find the map. It is about six miles from Panoche.

JayRuff
02-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Oh yeah man, I definitely wanna go, but I can't this Sat, You can PM me your phone # if u like maybe we can plan something for later, what kind of guns do you usually take? also, what time do you usually go there and how far do you have to walk from the parking lot to the shooting area and are there any other people shooting?

JayRuff
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
also, can you give me some kind of address so I can find directions?

s2000news
02-21-2008, 11:42 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=62964+Little+Panoche+Rd,+Firebaugh,+CA+ 93622+(Mercey+Hot+Springs)&geocode=13250325766336685320,36.695706,-120.857066&dirflg=&saddr=San+Jose,+CA&f=d&dq=Mercy+Hot+Springs+Resort,+ca&sll=36.596235,-121.034317&sspn=0.314778,0.560303&cid=36695706,-120857066,1835631873655292583&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=9

This should get you close. Within 6 miles from what I read.

MB260E
02-22-2008, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the info!

aanthunter7
02-22-2008, 1:45 PM
Yea, Thanks!

s2000news
02-22-2008, 2:39 PM
I didn't get to speak to anyone, but I did fire off an email last night, here is the reply: (Much of this is found on the website.)

Thank you for your recent electronic inquiry regarding target shooting on BLM Land. The Hollister Field Office (HFO) manages approximately 315,000 acres of public lands located in central California encompassing 11 counties. Legal public access to these lands primarily exists in San Benito, Monterey, and Fresno Counties. There are basically 9 parcels which afford you the opportunity for hunting, hiking, target shooting, camping, etc – the parcel names are as follows: Panoche Hills, Tumey Hills, Griswold Hills, Laguna Mountain, Clear Creek, Coalinga Mineral Springs, Curry Mountain, Williams Hill and Stockdale Mountain. The most popular target shooting areas are the Panoche, Tumey, and Griswold Hills.

Target shooting is allowed on public lands, however, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public’s enjoyment. Bureau of Land Management California policy is to allow the use of firearms on public lands, as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. Persons have the permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms, including lawfully registered assault weapons, on BLM administered public lands, except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.

There are no designated target shooting areas in our resource area, but it is allowed as long as you observe the no-shooting restrictions in effect in and around parking areas and your use is limited to legal weapons and ammunition.

We do offer a Public Information Guide (PIG) – available for $4.00 – which includes an overview of our area. It contains maps (Xerox copies of hunting areas and where the trail heads are located), and information of all publicly accessible lands administered by this office. There are maps for each of the individual areas (listed above), plus a large scale map. The large map shows the location of each of the individual areas as well as major roads and towns. In addition, phone numbers and addresses for other agencies in the area, information on current restrictions (for example shooting or fire restrictions, season motor vehicle closures, etc), information regarding the size of the parcels and other general information pertinent to this office is included. A trail map of the Fort Ord Public Lands is also included in the package.

Additional maps that can be purchased are Surface Management Maps (SMM Maps). These maps are color 1:100,000 scale maps which show federal land status, cities, and main roads and are available for $4.00 each. There are
6 maps that cover our region, they are as follows: Mendota, Coalinga, Monterey, Point Sur, Cambria and Paso Robles. Be aware that we have been involved in many land exchanges, and these maps are not up-to date. The Hollister Information packet (Public Information guide) and SMM maps can be purchased over the phone with a credit card, or you can send us a check or money order made payable to USDI, BLM and mail to 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, CA 95023-2535.

Other California Maps available for sale can be located via the internet at the following site: www.blm.gov/ca/caso/iac/maps_pubroom.html

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office at 831-630-5000 – Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.