PDA

View Full Version : MP-5 Clone Questions

JackRydden224
01-12-2014, 7:24 PM
I'm thinking about selling my Christensen to fund a MP-5 purchase. I think I can get $2000-$2500 on gunbroker. What's the best, most reliable MP-5 I can afford to buy at that price range? Atlantic has Vector Arms and AA Mfg for sale but I don't know enough about either.

CAL.BAR
01-12-2014, 7:50 PM
I'm thinking about selling my Christensen to fund a MP-5 purchase. I think I can get $2000-$2500 on gunbroker. What's the best, most reliable MP-5 I can afford to buy at that price range? Atlantic has Vector Arms and AA Mfg for sale but I don't know enough about either.

My Vector took 2 years and most of the parts switched out to HK to get it to run. Would NOT recommend. PM me for details

Capybara
01-12-2014, 8:06 PM
I am sure I will get corrected on this, but as a Vector Uzi owner, my FFL, when he received the transfer, asked me "why?" 16" barreled, heavy as hell, fixed stock SMG that has been neutered so much that it really became something else. Something not that fun to shoot. I bought it because I grew up in the 70s and 80s when Uzi's were "it" and I always wanted one. I still like having it although I never shoot it. For $2,500.00, do you really want a neutered semi-auto version of a top notch SMG? If it's the pistol, looks cool as heck but boring to shoot in semi-auto, heavy and ungainly and if it's a rifle, fixed stock, 16" barrel, bullet button? Lame. Featureless to lose the BB? Still Lame. It's like buying a Ferrari and sticking a Prius motor under the hood. Just my humble opinion. An Uzi at $800.00 is one thing to have a lame gun but $2,500.00 to have a lame gun? It's your money.

If we all lived in a free state and you could buy one to host a registered sear, hell yeah! Same with the Uzi, if I moved to a free state and could buy a registered bolt and mod the receiver to take it, bring it on, full auto Uzis are a lot of fun. As far as Vector, my Vector Uzi has been rock solid the few times I have shot it, but an Uzi isn't an HK so I would listen to Cal.Bar on that. Good luck and let us know what you end up going for.

elSquid
01-12-2014, 8:10 PM
Here's hoping that H&K USA has some new toys on display at SHOT...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/08/04/hk/

-- Michael

Capybara
01-12-2014, 8:28 PM
If they sell those here, what do you think they will ask for them Michael? I have read guesstimates of U.S. $4,000.00? Now those would be a good safe queen. Buy one, never fire it, HKs have insane market value and few have lost money buying and selling HK unless they paid foolish money for them.

daerror12
01-12-2014, 8:30 PM
If your looking for a really nice HK clone and don't mind waiting. Have a look at Dakota Tactical
They do great work.

razorduc
01-12-2014, 8:55 PM
Look for an MKE. I got the 94P, DROS'd as a rifle and put the 922r compliant parts on. Shoots great and haven't had any problems.

MKEs were Turkish made clones on HK tooling. Seem to work better out of the box than most clones.

Or look on the HKpro forum and find the clones made by DJF. I have his 10rd mag that has worked great.

elSquid
01-12-2014, 9:06 PM
If they sell those here, what do you think they will ask for them Michael? I have read guesstimates of U.S. $4,000.00?

I have no idea. <shrug>

However, if priced at $4K, I'll pass...

-- Michael

chsk9
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a MKE 94P with 922r compliance modifications. It shoots really well and is a blast to shoot. I also have a D.J.Getz Firearms MP5 clone. Check him out on hkpro.com his guns are really nice and he is great to deal with.

JackRydden224
01-12-2014, 10:17 PM
You guys have some good points. Paying $2000 for a neutered gun is really just too much. Capybara you got me there. It's the same reason I would not get a KRISS vector. At the end I think a Hi-Point, Taurus or if I want to be fancy the Beretta CX4 Storm are better plinker choices.

If I want to scratch my itch for a HK I think I'll just do the Walther MP5-22 :p

JackRydden224
01-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I have a MKE 94P with 922r compliance modifications. It shoots really well and is a blast to shoot. I also have a D.J.Getz Firearms MP5 clone. Check him out on hkpro.com his guns are really nice and he is great to deal with.

Good info on D.J. Getz MP5. If HK people approves I would think it's all good to go.

MikeR
01-12-2014, 10:57 PM
MP5 is my grail and I love my MKE, its as close as Ill get in this state.

shamu415
01-13-2014, 5:53 AM
Another vote for the MKE here. It's really well built and the closest you can get to a real semi auto HK.

daerror12
01-13-2014, 6:19 AM
Another option is Atlantic firearms new clone. So far it has good reviews.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/aa-mp5-9mm-rifle-with-collapsible-stock-atlantic-arms-mfg-detail.html?Itemid=0

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2014, 7:06 AM
, heavy as hell, .

Heavy? I think you need to hit the gym more ;)

Anyways, I'm very happy with my DJ Getz MP5 clone.. built to full-auto standards (if you could get a sear) and has been trouble free.

Someday with I move out of this hell of a state I will SBR it along with my PS90 and UMP :)

Fun gun and shoots great.

Quiet
01-13-2014, 7:09 AM
MKE is no longer being imported into the USA.
Good luck finding one.

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2014, 7:09 AM
If your looking for a really nice HK clone and don't mind waiting. Have a look at Dakota Tactical
They do great work.

Best one out there IMO.. but expensive and a long backlog.. Which is why I went with the DJG.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/d-j-getz-firearms-co/

JackRydden224
01-13-2014, 7:28 AM
Thanks guys. It's good to know that people are happy with their MKEs and DJ Getz MP5s. I have options now. I'll have to really look into it when I get my tax returns. For now I think I'll get the Walther .22 version to see if that will scratch the itch.

RAMCHARGER
01-13-2014, 8:48 AM
Thanks guys. It's good to know that people are happy with their MKEs and DJ Getz MP5s. I have options now. I'll have to really look into it when I get my tax returns. For now I think I'll get the Walther .22 version to see if that will scratch the itch.

Thats what I did :) The .22 version is awsome!

JMP
01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
MP5...don't, just don't. It'll be expensive for something not even close to authentic.

ptoguy2002
01-13-2014, 1:17 PM
Find a vendor who builds an MP5 with GERMAN parts on an LSC flat. With the going rate for a German kit, the flat, 922R parts, labor, finish, etc, that might be north of your budget though. I would pass on an MP5 variant built with totally US made parts, but that is just me.

IMHO, the next best route given your constraints is to find a de-neutered MKE for sale locally, that you can inspect prior to buying. The MKE's are more accurately called a "contract" gun instead of a "clone" gun, and in the same category as FMP, POF, and EBO when it comes to HKs. So far reports have been that they work well, BUT, the MKE's (talking the -94 variants here) very a bit from one to the next as far as how tight and how cosmetically nice it is. Take that (minor bit) combined with the (major bit ) 922R and import sporting reg thing, then if you can find one that you can inspect before buying, then that is the way to go. Make sure good 922R part are used, and that they didn't fubar the mag bar removal. None of the MKE's are 100% out of the box, they have to be made 922R compliant and have the bars removed, but after that is done, you have the next best thing to a 94 for that money.

razorduc
01-13-2014, 4:42 PM
None of the MKE's are 100% out of the box, they have to be made 922R compliant and have the bars removed, but after that is done, you have the next best thing to a 94 for that money.

Except if it started as a MKE 94P. There were no magwell bars. Legally, they do need to be made 922r compliant which is pricey. But at this point, you'd likely be buying used, which means it should have already been made compliant.

Capybara
01-13-2014, 4:57 PM
Heavy? I think you need to hit the gym more ;)

Actually the Uzi is my go to for younger kids and women who want to shoot something besides the .22 but are intimidated by ARs and all of the C&Rs I usually bring. My Uzi weighs close to twelve pounds, it's a beast, I put the Title II Fake can on it and the wood stock is very dense, not sure of what kind of wood but everyone who picks it up is surprised at how heavy it is for a small carbine. Not hard to just hold for them but to get them up to speed on the peep sights, try to get them to hold steady to aim it and hit something, it wears them out.

I find 8-12 year old kids and the women complain about the weight more than I do. I just remarked about it because all of the full auto Uzis I have shot (folding stock and 10" barrel) were fairly light, I think about the same weight as an M4 and mine is not, thanks to California.

ky2970
01-13-2014, 5:08 PM

I have the Walther version and it's a great gun, one of the most reliable semi auto .22s. And no bullet button needed!

jpm804
01-13-2014, 5:30 PM
There is a MKE in the classifieds right now and I think he's down south...

Capybara
01-13-2014, 6:05 PM
Oh how I wish I would have bought a couple of those MKE's they closed out last year. My dealer called me, had 'em in stock and I just couldn't afford. Great investment, I think I could have bought one for around $1,100.00 new/featureless. Wonder what they go for now?

36Ford
01-13-2014, 6:19 PM
Well Gecko45 recommends Special Weapons:p

Gecko45 writes:

M4’s, Barretts 50’s, Uzi carbines and Styer SSG’s and such are just fine for those who can afford them, but what are they really getting, huh? A namebrand, sure, a little extra reliablility, maybe, any extra performance, doubtful. I say, the best SMG’s in the wourld are produced by SW, and I will stand by that statment, as soon as I test fire one. When I do I am sure my analysis of the guns will be proved true.:oji:

I about passed out laughing when I read this the first time.

1919_4_ME
01-13-2014, 7:02 PM
You can pick up one here in the classifieds, it will save you tax, shipping and importing.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=867058&highlight=MKE

ptoguy2002
01-13-2014, 7:44 PM
i dremeled the bars myself.......

....this is exactly why I said IF you can inspect before buying.
He may be a great dremel man , who knows, only one way to know before you fork out $2k.

36Ford
01-13-2014, 7:49 PM
My Vector took 2 years and most of the parts switched out to HK to get it to run. Would NOT recommend. PM me for details

Was this an older Vector? I heard they had some issues a few years ago. I have had the opposite experience with my Vector, ran out of the box no issues. These clones are hit and miss.

Steve1968LS2
01-13-2014, 7:59 PM
Actually the Uzi is my go to for younger kids and women who want to shoot something besides the .22 but are intimidated by ARs and all of the C&Rs I usually bring. My Uzi weighs close to twelve pounds, it's a beast, I put the Title II Fake can on it and the wood stock is very dense, not sure of what kind of wood but everyone who picks it up is surprised at how heavy it is for a small carbine. Not hard to just hold for them but to get them up to speed on the peep sights, try to get them to hold steady to aim it and hit something, it wears them out.

I find 8-12 year old kids and the women complain about the weight more than I do. I just remarked about it because all of the full auto Uzis I have shot (folding stock and 10" barrel) were fairly light, I think about the same weight as an M4 and mine is not, thanks to California.

I thought you meant that the MP5 was heavy.. lol.. sorry..

shin_en
01-13-2014, 8:47 PM
i've gotten a few inquiries today about my MKE and i'm assuming its from this thread. i dont mind letting people inspect my work before deciding on purchasing it

....this is exactly why I said IF you can inspect before buying.
He may be a great dremel man , who knows, only one way to know before you fork out $2k.

SpeedTactical
01-16-2014, 6:45 AM
I have a Turner Fabrications (it's the best for the money) this model is made with real HK MP5 parts
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=861555&highlight=Mp5

saki302
01-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Treat most carbines as a good starting point.

A lot of the Coharie guns run well after messing with them- usually involving swapping the extractor, extractor spring, trigger pack, and sometimes the cocking tube support and carrier /bolt.

I've worked on a few, most run with minimal effort, though replacement parts are probably more expensive now.

Want the BEST (* non HK ) ? Have Chopstix Kid (Dakota Tactical) build you one- but the wait is like 2 years.

-Dave

Socalmp5
01-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Well Gecko45 recommends Special Weapons:p

Gecko45 writes:

M4’s, Barretts 50’s, Uzi carbines and Styer SSG’s and such are just fine for those who can afford them, but what are they really getting, huh? A namebrand, sure, a little extra reliablility, maybe, any extra performance, doubtful. I say, the best SMG’s in the wourld are produced by SW, and I will stand by that statment, as soon as I test fire one. When I do I am sure my analysis of the guns will be proved true.:oji:

I about passed out laughing when I read this the first time.

And who do u think makes dgf's... its hard to make any us made all clone mp5 without todd bailey having his hands it... if they are setup they run well... guess what mp5s are used at the gun store in vegas? Millions of rds gone through... some sw parts there..

Socalmp5
01-16-2014, 10:55 PM

A lot of the Coharie guns run well after messing with them- usually involving swapping the extractor, extractor spring, trigger pack, and sometimes the cocking tube support and carrier /bolt.

I've worked on a few, most run with minimal effort, though replacement parts are probably more expensive now.

Want the BEST (* non HK ) ? Have Chopstix Kid (Dakota Tactical) build you one- but the wait is like 2 years.

-Dave
Its hard to say best non hk when the only thing not hk is the reciever...

36Ford
01-17-2014, 9:25 AM
And who do u think makes dgf's... its hard to make any us made all clone mp5 without todd bailey having his hands it... if they are setup they run well... guess what mp5s are used at the gun store in vegas? Millions of rds gone through... some sw parts there..

Odd response? I thought my post was obvious it had less to do with SW and more to do with this guy making an absolute statement without ever inspecting or shooting a weapon. Quote "I say, the best SMG’s in the wourld are produced by SW, and I will stand by that statment, as soon as I test fire one. When I do I am sure my analysis of the guns will be proved true." Gecko45 The original Mall Ninja.:rofl2:

If SW floats your boat great, to each their own I don't have an opinion on SW either way. The OP was asking for recommendations, I would however hope that anyone that recommends a weapon is because they have had first hand experience with it, and not just because of what they read or some gun store in Vegas uses them, which they may or may not have been modified.:rolleyes:

JDW67
01-17-2014, 9:55 AM
Do it:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m539/jwri1967/MP5-1.jpg

One of my favorite toys. Yes, it took an HK ejector spring to make it run like a top, but it's been perfect after that.

JackRydden224
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM

-Dave

Right now the plan is get one from DJ Getz on HKPro seeing how he has them in stock. I can't afford to wait two years. God knows what the gun laws would be like in two years.

My tax return can't come soon enough.

Steve1968LS2
01-17-2014, 2:18 PM
You'll be happy with the DJGetz gun.. It's a solid shooter and he uses very good parts.

GentleMinh
01-17-2014, 6:29 PM
yeah Dave at DJ Getz is great person to deal with. I have bought a mp5 F build , and also a 89k pistol from him . His weapons are good for the money.

Good info on D.J. Getz MP5. If HK people approves I would think it's all good to go.

Atlantic Firearms.com
01-18-2014, 7:04 AM
We have a wide variety of the MP5 Pistols and rifles and offer Vector , Atlantic Arms , Turner Fabrications and the Getz line. Quite honestly all of them are popular and have had great feedback from the customers . It will really boil down to the features on the gun , price and Brand name that you feel most comfortable with .The prices range from $1749 - $2950 based on the model

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/afmp5pistol2.jpg