PDA

View Full Version : Enfield scope mount

68kaiser
02-21-2008, 9:15 AM
I have a Enfield No.1 MKIII with a near perfect barrel that seems to shoot good but has horrible sights. Does anyone have one of these rifles with a scope? What mount did you use, is the mount solid, how does it shoot?

berg
02-21-2008, 9:47 AM
The "no gunsmithing" mounts aren't that great. Drilling your rifle would be a huge mistake though. I'd consider adding a Parker Hale aperture sight to it for better accuracy. These can be found on ebay.

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ti14_files/image020.jpg

maxicon
02-21-2008, 9:55 AM
Here's my Enfield Tactical Jungle Carbine clone, all set up for 3 gun :).

The mount is marked Millett SMLE IV, and seems pretty solid, with a Weaver CV3 1-3x scope mounte. I don't know anything about the installation - I bought the gun like this, and haven't even shot it yet. Impulse buy, and all that...

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/enfield/enfield_jc_1a.jpg

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/enfield/enfield_jc_2a.jpg

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/enfield/enfield_jc_3a.jpg

dfletcher
02-21-2008, 2:08 PM
I have an S & K on a Ishapore in 308 and on a Gibbs 45/70 Summit. Steel ring up front and a big locking nut in back, it stays put. You do have to remove some wood inside the stock at the front receiver ring and a bit of metal from the rear of the mount to be able to remove the bolt after the scope is mounted. The steel screw and nut have to be put on very, very tight to ensure everything stays put.

Cad Technik makes a great side mount, I think it's for the #4, don't know if it can be jiggered about to fit others.

gazzavc
02-21-2008, 2:14 PM
Here's my Enfield Tactical Jungle Carbine clone, all set up for 3 gun :).

The mount is marked Millett SMLE IV, and seems pretty solid, with a Weaver CV3 1-3x scope mounte. I don't know anything about the installation - I bought the gun like this, and haven't even shot it yet. Impulse buy, and all that...

If you havent fired that #5 , be careful. They have a kick like a bloody mule !!
Also make sure you have plenty of eye relief between you and that scope. I have seen more than one broken nose from the edge of a scope on a #4 or #5.

Saying all that however, you have a super nice rifle, that is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot !!

Enjoy

Gaz

maxicon
02-21-2008, 5:23 PM
Yeah, that butt pad hurts just to look at it - no idea what they were thinking with that one. I've considered getting a softer pad for it, but I only have a few boxes of .303 ammo, and rarely shoot my 8mm any more either. It's all lower recoil for me these days.

Thanks for the warning!

6079Winston
02-21-2008, 6:10 PM
I also vote for better sights, such as Parker Hale. Not that I have ever seen them for a #1, but they have to exist. You might browse E-Bay, or it's British, European or Australian versions looking for one. Commonwealth countries spent quite a bit of time turning enfield's into target rifles, so the parts are probably floating around. I have an accurized #4 in 7.62 with the PH sights which is far nicer and more accurate than I deserve.

Heatseeker
02-21-2008, 6:34 PM
My .303 No.4 is equipped with a nice peep sight(Redfield, I believe) and is as accurate as my blind self can see. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a side mount scope set-up, although my pops never found the mount for it when he gave it to me. He says he bought the rifle in the early 60's from a surplus store in S.F. for $19, then had it 'sporterized'(stock cut down to resemble a regular rifle) and a scope mounted for another $30.

It's a fun gun to shoot, but with the brass butt pad after about 50 rounds your shoulder really knows you've been shooting!

dfletcher
02-21-2008, 7:03 PM
Yeah, that butt pad hurts just to look at it - no idea what they were thinking with that one. I've considered getting a softer pad for it, but I only have a few boxes of .303 ammo, and rarely shoot my 8mm any more either. It's all lower recoil for me these days.

Thanks for the warning!

Part of the reason the gun seems to kick so much is that the rubber on that pad is often hardened and compressed. Numrich Arms sells replacement pads that have more cusion to them, may help a good deal.

if you're not averse to the appearance, I think Limbsaver or Decelerator sells a slip on pad that has a bit of style to its and its brown color matches the stock pretty well. The small size fits the SMLE just about perfectly. I use it on the 45/70 and it works great.

duenor
02-21-2008, 7:20 PM
If your shoulder is hurting after a few shots on an Enfield or Mosin-Nagant, it is because you are holding the rifle wrong. You do NOT put the rifle in the "pocket" of your shoulder as you would an AR15 or AK. Rather, it goes on the edge of your pectoral muscle. I used to wince after five shots... but after Cosmoline on THR taught me how to shoot properly (there are russian manuals on this too) I can go 100 rounds easy.

Of course, if you don't have any pectoral muscle at all... time to spend a little more time working out ;)

And if all else fails, just put on one of those Limbsaver bra-looking things. You might look a little funny but the MosinNagant has enough mojo to make up for your pansiness

Diablo
02-22-2008, 8:13 AM
If your shoulder is hurting after a few shots on an Enfield or Mosin-Nagant, it is because you are holding the rifle wrong. You do NOT put the rifle in the "pocket" of your shoulder as you would an AR15 or AK. Rather, it goes on the edge of your pectoral muscle. I used to wince after five shots... but after Cosmoline on THR taught me how to shoot properly (there are russian manuals on this too) I can go 100 rounds easy.

Of course, if you don't have any pectoral muscle at all... time to spend a little more time working out ;)

And if all else fails, just put on one of those Limbsaver bra-looking things. You might look a little funny but the MosinNagant has enough mojo to make up for your pansiness

Is it the same for shotguns? or do you shoot it like the AR? (in the pocket of the shoulder)

~DEVO~
02-22-2008, 5:26 PM
My 303 (in my Avatar) as a scope mount which was constructed out of angle iorn. Looks like a ***** but shoots like a Fine Woman. :cool2:

BHP FAN
01-18-2009, 4:40 PM
I'd like to find a scout type mount for my Gibbs 2aA carbine...