PDA

View Full Version : Gun store gave me someone else's lower

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 4:43 PM
I purchased a stripped lower on Christmas eve. The store was out of the one I wanted at the time of purchase but said I could pay and do my paperwork and they would be in stock at the end of the ten days. Yesterday I picked it up and took it home and tossed it in the safe. Today while I'm out of town I get a call from the shop sayin they gave me someone else's lower and if I don't bring it right in he'll have to report it to DOJ. I told him I was out of town and Monday after work is the soonest I could come in to swap them and the guy kind of sniveld about it and said he would see if that is ok with DOJ. My question is do I have anything to worry about? It was their mistake. Is there any reason I should rush home to exchange them tomorrow or can it wait till monday. thanks. Any input is appreciated.

Gutz
01-11-2014, 4:46 PM
I purchased a stripped lower on Christmas eve. The store was out of the one I wanted at the time of purchase but said I could pay and do my paperwork and they would be in stock at the end of the ten days. Yesterday I picked it up and took it home and tossed it in the safe. Today while I'm out of town I get a call from the shop sayin they gave me someone else's lower and if I don't bring it right in he'll have to report it to DOJ. I told him I was out of town and Monday after work is the soonest I could come in to swap them and the guy kind of sniveld about it and said he would see if that is ok with DOJ. My question is do I have anything to worry about? It was their mistake. Is there any reason I should rush home to exchange them tomorrow or can it wait till monday. thanks. Any input is appreciated.

Sounds like they are trying to scare you. Tell then to pound sand until you get back. This is on them...

And I would ask to be re-reimbursed for your time nad gas going to the store again.

Antagon3
01-11-2014, 4:47 PM
It's his fault, and if you're out of town there's nothing you can do until you get back

<--not a lawyer

cmace22
01-11-2014, 4:47 PM
I wouldn't it was their F/U.

bridgeport
01-11-2014, 4:49 PM
Short answer here is it is the shops responsibility to make it right, and if they do notify the DOJ of the mistake, THEY are the ones who will be in trouble. You have no worries, however you would be doing them a big favor by bringing it back sooner rather than later. Ask them what they would be willing to do to make it worth your while, you might be pleasantly surprised. If they give you any pushback, tell them YOU will call the DOJ and ask them what to do, then see what they offer you to make it right.

infringed711
01-11-2014, 4:51 PM
Are they going to give you your lower? I'd tell him to pound sand till I got back and if he tried to make an issue of it I'd tell him I was reporting him to the DOJ for giving out firearms to people without checking IDs

infringed711
01-11-2014, 4:51 PM
Short answer here is it is the shops responsibility to make it right, and if they do notify the DOJ of the mistake, THEY are the ones who will be in trouble. You have no worries, however you would be doing them a big favor by bringing it back sooner rather than later. Ask them what they would be willing to do to make it worth your while, you might be pleasantly surprised. If they give you any pushback, tell them YOU will call the DOJ and report them, then see what they offer you to make it right.

Awww beat me to it

w210838
01-11-2014, 4:52 PM
I gotta ask what store

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 4:53 PM
They never checked my ID when I picked it up

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
01-11-2014, 4:54 PM
Sounds like Turners.

Mossy Man
01-11-2014, 4:54 PM

gotta know. out them.

Fate
01-11-2014, 4:57 PM
Sounds like Turners.

Yup. They frequently change out purchases while in the waiting period.

infringed711
01-11-2014, 4:58 PM

They are so ****ed if they call the DOJ, you're fine

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 4:59 PM
Not Turners. In sac area. Upon further inspection I noticed they gave me a billet lower rather than the $120 forged one I paid for.

Mossy Man
dude's in Sacramento

whats the likelihood it's Turners?

Mossy Man
Not Turners. In sac area. Upon further inspection I noticed they gave me a billet lower rather than the $120 forged one I paid for.

what i figured.

so what place is it

infringed711
01-11-2014, 5:01 PM
Also would like to know what store, I'm not home (sac area) very often but when I do go home I check the gun stores and don't have a lot of wiggle room with time so if I was back in SD and I got that call Id tell them they could send someone to pick it up and bring my lower with them

Heretodaygonetomorrow
01-11-2014, 5:08 PM
When you picked the Lower up, the Clerk at the store should have written the serial # of the lower onto the paperwork making it your lower. On "long guns" and "others" the serial number was not required to start the DROS Process, it only had to be written onto the paperwork when you picked up. Did you look at the paperwork to make sure that the manufacturer's Name, and the serial number matched the Lower that they gave you? If not, it's as much your mistake as it was his.

But you're not at risk. The clerk is, since he gave you the Lower. How do you even know that you got someone else's Lower? The other Buyer probably didn't have a serial number on his DROS paperwork either. If you and the other Buyer both bought Lowers from the same manufacturer, and the DROS paperwork was mistakenly filled out with the same serial number on both sets of paperwork, then the store and the clerk are in the soup, not you. clerk is going to have to make a report and do another DROS to correct the serial number/s depending on what he did.

I would just drop in on Monday like you planned to get the situation straighten out. You should not have to suffer another 10-day DROS Period, pay another DROS Fee, or be inconvenienced in any way, since it was not your fault.

bomb_on_bus
01-11-2014, 5:08 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal lol. The gun store is the one at fault for not following protocol you don't have anything to worry about its the gun store as they gave out the wrong firearm.

CSACANNONEER
01-11-2014, 5:09 PM

Since they started off by threatening you, play their game. Tell them to call DOJ or STFU. Tell them that you won't pay anything for their mistake and, if they want the lower back, it's going to cost them your time and expenses and, it will be done at your convenience. If they can't handle that, tell them that you will be calling DOJ and ATF to report the fact that they FRAUDULENTLY switched your property out with someone else's. Also, that they incorrectly closed out your DROS when they gave you someone else's lower.

Basically, you are in the driver's seat and it's up to them to make it right with you BEFORE you jump through hoops for them.

CK_32
01-11-2014, 5:12 PM
Haha tell him have fun explaining how his shop fuc*ed up and handed out the wrong lower. Tell him you'll see him Monday. ;)

Their fu** up not yours. If I were you I would not do business ever again, not for the small screw up but for the way he handled it. Just screams lazy half azzed work and policy.

Heretodaygonetomorrow
01-11-2014, 5:15 PM

Check your paperwork. Does the serial number match the number on the Lower that you picked up?

If it does, then as far as the DOJ goes, you're clear. The Clerk is desperate to get the billet Lower back so the store does not eat the difference in cost between the Lowers.

If you don't care about being able to go back to the store, the DROS paperwork matches the serial number you got, and you paid in full, then you can tell the store to go pound sand since they are being rude and crude.

If the DROS paperwork does not match the Lower that you received, and you plan on using that store in the future, then as another Poster wrote, call the store and tell them to send somebody with your Lower to pick up the Lower that they mistakenly gave to you since they are in a hurry to get the thing back.

The Gleam
01-11-2014, 5:18 PM

No rush - wait until Monday, or Tuesday, or the following weekend; there is nothing egregiously illegal going on here. It's completely academic, clerical error, and merely a numbers game. Their mistake, and they have more to sweat about it than you do. CA DOJ likely would not give much care to you have the wrong numbered receiver, but they sure as hell would have some questions for that dealer about their screw-up. It might even encourage an ATF/CA DOJ audit - and that is NEVER fun!!! That may even be why they are so worried!

You are not a prohibited person, you would still be legal to own a rifle/receiver, so return it at your leisure. The CA DOJ has bigger things to worry about, and nobody is going to be busting down your door over it. But sure, they might be paying that FFL Dealer a visit to see what else they have screwed up! There is nothing about this that presents an absolute sense of urgency.

Just so long as you actually do the right thing and go swap it out, time is on your side.

Exodus343
01-11-2014, 5:19 PM
lol somebody F***ed up hahaha
seriously though

don't let them scare you like that, they F***Ed up they're problem
ask to be compensated

MUKAK
01-11-2014, 5:22 PM
tell them u just SOLD the lower hahahahaha

pterrell
01-11-2014, 5:22 PM
Not your problem. The DoJ doesn't care what lower you get. They care what lower the FFL gives you. Tell them that it is their problem and it could cause huge fines or the loss of their FFL if they call the DoJ. Get some ammo or parts out of helping them fix their mistake and don't pay a single penny!

cabinetguy
01-11-2014, 5:26 PM
Tell them you are going to surrender it to the local PD since you dont want to be caught driving around with someone elses firearm

Cadre
01-11-2014, 5:28 PM

Score!

valley82
01-11-2014, 5:28 PM
Sounds like they were trying to get THEIR mistake corrected so they did not have to tell the other customer they gave his property to someone else. It is their problem, they are the ones with the FFL (the ones that are supposed to know better). They are the ones with the license at risk. You are just a civilian in this deal. If they give you too much grief, ask them for the phone numbers of the local DOJ and ATF offices, maybe even the agents names they deal with when they screw up "cause this can't be the first time this has happened". That will shut them up.

The Gleam
01-11-2014, 5:30 PM
"OK, no problem; I'll bring it back Monday. Is it OK if it's Durcoated pink and engraved with a 'HelloKitty' logo - that won't matter, right?"

:p

AKSOG
01-11-2014, 5:33 PM
Hopefullu for them you don't lose it in a tragic boating accident over the weekend

Elwood_Blues
01-11-2014, 5:37 PM
LOL at comments!!!

M1NM
01-11-2014, 5:37 PM
Check your paperwork. If the serial # matches you got a billet lower for the forged price. Also tell em it's also been assembled and they will have to pay gunsmith prices to disassemble and reassemble in the other lower.

5.56Geo
01-11-2014, 5:44 PM
They didn't give you someone else's lower, they gave you an upgraded/better lower than you paid for. ...that's what happened! I bet if you tell them you are willing to pay the difference they will let you keep that exact lower.

I would complete your AR build with it and tell them to make it right with supposed other customer.:D

TacticalPlinker
01-11-2014, 5:44 PM
Yup. They frequently change out purchases while in the waiting period.

According to who? When? Where? On accident or on purpose?

Have you ever bought a gun from Turner's or done a PPT? I have done both, they wanted everything short of a blood sample. They also had the paperwork and serial number checked by at least 3 different people.

That said...

I simply DON'T understand how gun shops exist if they don't check identification, don't check paperwork and/or don't check serial numbers... They deserve a investigation at the least, not our business.:confused:

emsalex
01-11-2014, 5:59 PM
Bluffs need to be called. People need to sweat. If they tried to scare you into running back to the shop time to make them do some back peddling.

I say you come back with a some other lower. I will supply the lower and drive there just to watch them freak out.

Varg Vikernes
01-11-2014, 6:02 PM
Yea every time I've picked up they made me check the serial number. Sounds kinda sketchy.

SDM44
01-11-2014, 6:04 PM
Take it back and swap it out..... after you've spray painted it first.

jb octane
01-11-2014, 6:05 PM
Bluffs need to be called. People need to sweat. If they tried to scare you into running back to the shop time to make them do some back peddling.

I say you come back with a some other lower. I will supply the lower and drive there just to watch them freak out.

I would absolutely love to see their reaction.

pterrell
01-11-2014, 6:05 PM

Take them an 80% and etch the serial number on it that you have lol

Cadre
01-11-2014, 6:08 PM
Tactical placed booger before returning it.

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 6:17 PM
Lol! Thanks for all the input. I'll start by making THEM wait 10 days before responding. Then I'll try to keep the billet one..

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 6:20 PM
Tactical placed booger before returning it.

If I have to return it I will wipe a fatty on it just for you bro. Haha!

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 6:24 PM
Take them an 80% and etch the serial number on it that you have lol

LMAO!!!

Syds Grandpa
01-11-2014, 6:44 PM
Hold the phone. This was dros'd before the 1st of January. CalDoj didn't ask for serial numbers. The only place the serial numbers are recorded at that time was the 4473 and their A and D books. Tell them to kiss off and change their records.

Wook
01-11-2014, 6:45 PM
Check your paperwork. Does the serial number match the number on the Lower that you picked up?

If it does, then as far as the DOJ goes, you're clear. The Clerk is desperate to get the billet Lower back so the store does not eat the difference in cost between the Lowers.

If you don't care about being able to go back to the store, the DROS paperwork matches the serial number you got, and you paid in full, then you can tell the store to go pound sand since they are being rude and crude.

If the DROS paperwork does not match the Lower that you received, and you plan on using that store in the future, then as another Poster wrote, call the store and tell them to send somebody with your Lower to pick up the Lower that they mistakenly gave to you since they are in a hurry to get the thing back.

If the numbers on your paperwork match the lower, you are good to keep it. It was their mistake for giving you the billet lower. If your numbers are not the same, definitely make them sweat and get compensated for your time. And as others have said, maybe, make a call to the DOJ and ATF yourself.

NoHeavyHitter
01-11-2014, 6:46 PM
What store made this mistake and is now threatening you? This information is relevant to people who don't want to deal with an outfit like that...

Out them already!

infringed711
01-11-2014, 6:49 PM
Check and see if they even recorded a serial on the dros, it's before the new year so no reg, if not then **** them and enjoy, I still would like to know what shop

CSACANNONEER
01-11-2014, 6:52 PM

Uh, it won't match the lower he received since, he bought it in 2013 and there is NO INFORMATION to "match" on the DROS paperwork.

infringed711
01-11-2014, 6:53 PM
I'm waiting for the thread "Gun store gave my billet lower to someone else and tried to give me a forged"

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 6:58 PM
It was drosed before the first. I think the guy just went and grabbed a lower and filled in the serial# on the paperwork and then I signed it and left with that reciever. Doesn't that make it mine even if it was supposed to be for someone else?

keenkeen
01-11-2014, 7:01 PM
Here is an idea...

When you have time and are in town:

Take back the product they gave you by mistake and get the product you bought and paid for?

:shrug:

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 7:02 PM
I'm waiting for the thread "Gun store gave my billet lower to someone else and tried to give me a forged"

Don't mention my name.

infringed711
01-11-2014, 7:05 PM
It was drosed before the first. I think the guy just went and grabbed a lower and filled in the serial# on the paperwork and then I signed it and left with that reciever. Doesn't that make it mine even if it was supposed to be for someone else?

Yea if the serial on your paperwork matches the lower then that is your lower. To take it back would mean your have to re dros and register the other lower...**** that

Out them lol

44fred
01-11-2014, 7:06 PM
OP
Quite a few of us have asked if the serial number on your lower matches your paperwork. Could you answer that please? If they match, your done unless you want to return and get what you paid for.
Mistakes are made all the time. That said, how the transaction was completed was shady at best, and they know it.
Most proud men react the same way as your FFL, don't take it personally.

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 7:18 PM
OP
Quite a few of us have asked if the serial number on your lower matches your paperwork. Could you answer that please? If they match, your done unless you want to return and get what you paid for.
Mistakes are made all the time. That said, how the transaction was completed was shady at best, and they know it.
Most proud men react the same way as your FFL, don't take it personally.

I'm not home now to check the paperwork. I won't publicly out this shop because I'm sure it was an honest mistake and in the end I'll probably go back and swap them out but it is a big pain in my ***. I would like somethin in return.

infringed711
01-11-2014, 7:23 PM
I'm not home now to check the paperwork. IWon't publicly out this shop because I'm sure it was an honest mistake and in the end I'll probably go back and swap them out but it is a big pain in my ***. I would like somethin in return.

If they don't have a serial at all or have the wrong one then taking it back and getting yours should be simple, if the serial on the paperwork matches the reciever you have in your possession then they DROSed that to you so you'd have to reDROS the correct lower and register it

AKSOG
01-11-2014, 7:27 PM
If the serial on the paperwork matches the one in your posession I would tell them to pound sand.

Fjold
01-11-2014, 7:33 PM
Before I did anything else, I would call the store and ask to speak to the owner. I'd tell them that I won't speak to anyone else.

Then I would let him know that I didn't appreciate being told by their employee that I was going to be reported to the DOJ for their mistake.

If the owner gave me one bit of attitude or excuse, I would blast his ears back and make this deal a nightmare for them.

But that's just me, I'm a softy.

BroncoBob
01-11-2014, 7:38 PM
Before I did anything else, I would call the store and ask to speak to the owner. I'd tell them that I won't speak to anyone else.

Then I would let him know that I didn't appreciate being told by their employee that I was going to be reported to the DOJ for their mistake.

If the owner gave me one bit of attitude or excuse, I would blast his ears back and make this deal a nightmare for them.

But that's just me, I'm a softy.

This ^^^^^

Mail Clerk
01-11-2014, 7:43 PM

rudedude916,

Just contact the store owner and advise them that you can briing iit back asap due to your being outta town situation. When you can just do the right thing and document your efforts. If they have to contact DOJ then they'll tell DOJ that it's the stores fault they gave you the wrong serial numbered lower.

This happened to me long ago when I bought and picked up a pistol and the same night the store called and begged me to bring back the pistol cuz it belongs to someone else. There fault 100% not me!!!! Took it back around midnight cuz they stayed open for me and did the exchange.

Mail Clerk

Elwood_Blues
01-11-2014, 8:21 PM
Did it come with the trigger guard, like most billet lowers? What brand is it?

44fred
01-11-2014, 8:25 PM
I'm not home now to check the paperwork. I won't publicly out this shop because I'm sure it was an honest mistake and in the end I'll probably go back and swap them out but it is a big pain in my ***. I would like somethin in return.

Sorry for that. I forgot you didn't check the paperwork.
If you have to go back and do the new registration thing, I'd be upset as well.
Just curious, what would you like as far as compensation?

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 8:51 PM
Sorry for that. I forgot you didn't check the paperwork.
If you have to go back and do the new registration thing, I'd be upset as well.
Just curious, what would you like as far as compensation?I'll split the price for the hassle.

Syds Grandpa
01-11-2014, 9:05 PM
OP, what I posted above is the absolute truth. Lot's of people commenting here with nothing constructive. Call them up, tell them B.S., I already have my lower parts kit in. Change you paper work. End of story.

dyson
01-11-2014, 9:05 PM
Man feel bad for the guy that was counting the days til he could pick up his billet receiver. Dude prob has all the parts arranged on the floor waiting in the proper configuration with a big hole in the middle. :p

shda5582
01-11-2014, 9:07 PM
Was this a 80% or a 100%?

Since you got it before Jan 1, if it's 100%, tell them to pound sand, you're not returning it. Saves you the DROS fee, AND the DOJ having a record of you having an AR15. If they give you any hassle about it, tell them you'll report them to DOJ if they ever say another word to you about it.

F it, I wouldn't take it back if it's 100%, not with the new registration.

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 9:10 PM
Man feel bad for the guy that was counting the days til he could pick up his billet receiver. Dude prob has all the parts arranged on the floor waiting in the proper configuration with a big hole in the middle. :p

That dude is me. They can grab him another one. Or wait till I can return.

rudedude916
01-11-2014, 9:12 PM
100%

shda5582
01-11-2014, 9:25 PM
Then don't take it back. They screwed up, and if you take it back, the new one will be DROS'd and the serial # entered into registration.

SJ-Chris
01-11-2014, 9:39 PM
Do nothing that would interfere with your vacation plans. You have done nothing wrong. Return it as soon as is convenient for you.

Be professional, and lead/live by example. I agree that you should talk with the owner and let them know that you don't appreciate the attitude during the phone call. It was very unprofessional. If the owner is a good guy, he will OFFER to make it up to you. That is the sort of business I would expect from a professional. If he too is a jerk, or if he was actually the one that made the phone call to you, I would let him know that you will not be doing business with him. Then I would outing his company on calguns...home to 150k+ members of the gun family so that others see how they operate. I would out him more for his lack of professionalism than the fact that they made an honest mistake (...but the mistake is of course important too).

I wouldn't DEMAND anything from them. They will either offer to make it right or they would no longer have my business (for being jerks).

Man....some of the replies here are pretty aggressive. I agree that the attitude on the phone call was horrible. But people here seem like they "see an opportunity" to "go for the kill". "How much can I get out of this honest mistake from this small business owner?" Yes, the guy on the phone was a jerk, but in my opinion one should try to rise above that.

my 0.02

[Note: This is all assuming that your didn't get screwed in the DROS and now you will have to register your lower....that would make this a bigger deal (involving some extra money...which you shouldn't pay, and also having it "registered"). If that was the case, I would be looking for some sort of solution that gets you the end result you are due.]

BigPimping
Short answer here is it is the shops responsibility to make it right, and if they do notify the DOJ of the mistake, THEY are the ones who will be in trouble. You have no worries, however you would be doing them a big favor by bringing it back sooner rather than later. Ask them what they would be willing to do to make it worth your while, you might be pleasantly surprised. If they give you any pushback, tell them YOU will call the DOJ and ask them what to do, then see what they offer you to make it right.

Words of wisdom.

Dhoggs
All I can say is.... Do what is right. :)

Masterdebater
01-11-2014, 9:44 PM
nothing wrong with keeping it, but dont do it in a dick way.

tell them you understand they made a mistake but youve already built it and taking it with you on vacation, you promise to continue to shop at their establishment and sorry for any inconvenience.

keenkeen
01-11-2014, 9:47 PM
All I can say is.... Do what is right. :)

QTF...

NoHeavyHitter
01-11-2014, 9:51 PM
I won't publicly out this shop because I'm sure it was an honest mistake and in the end I'll probably go back and swap them out but it is a big pain in my ***. I would like somethin in return.

Anyone can make an honest mistake, but the way they are trying to threaten you with "calling the DOJ" is the part that is a rotten way to treat a customer.

I'd like to know what kind of outfit makes threats like that.

The bottom line is they could have contacted you and been nice about it. Unfortunately they are too stupid to realize that they could have offered you a box or two of ammo to come back in and help them correct their mistake - but NO, they decided to try and threaten you instead.

At this point I'd tell them to come to my house and bring the replacement. Why should you have to drive out your gasoline that you paid $3 a gallon for just to help them??? Are you the "rudedude" or not? ;)

Syds Grandpa
01-11-2014, 9:56 PM
If it was purchased before the 1st of the year, THE FREAKEN CAL DOJ DOESN'T HAVE THE FREAKEN SERIAL NUMBER ANYWAY. The only place it's recorded is resident at the Gun Store on the 4473 and their A&D book. Why do people comment here if they don't know their butt from a whole in the ground?

ParanoidCivilian
01-11-2014, 10:03 PM

You're not living up to your screen name. :cool:

russ69
01-11-2014, 10:11 PM
...Man....some of the replies here are pretty aggressive. I agree that the attitude on the phone call was horrible. But people here seem like they "see an opportunity" to "go for the kill". "How much can I get out of this honest mistake from this small business owner?" Yes, the guy on the phone was a jerk, but in my opinion one should try to rise above that...

Agree, it was an honest mistake and these things happen. I think I would go to the store and see how they are going to fix the problem before I would bring my receiver in from the car. Mainly because they started off with a big threat, that was totally unnecessary and now I have my guard up. If the receipt I had described the part I had in my possession I'd want to make sure that I'm not going to be further inconvenienced. If my receipt did not match, you'll just have to do whatever it takes to get the purchased finished.

Elwood_Blues
01-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Yesterday I picked it up and took it home and tossed it in the safe.

Just tossed it in a safe, huh?

Upon further inspection I noticed they gave me a billet lower rather than the $120 forged one I paid for.

Phase5with trigger guard. It's pretty sweet.

I just can't help but wonder, how does one not notice right away, a billet lower instead of forged? Unless you're total noob, you can tell the difference, blindfolded. Do you think you'd notice right away if it was the other way around, where you bought billet and they gave you forged instead?

Just sayin'

It was their mistake, and threatening you with DOJ is silly if not stupid on their part. In any case, you have leverage here.

rayrayz
01-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Dude that sucks. I don't know about you but if you had to re-DROS and have it registered I'd tell the store sorry (if indeed they had the serial of the billet lower on file or they can change it in the books as others have suggested). That was the whole reason that all the LGS was so busy towards the end of the year, no registration. But if no need to re-DROS I'd exchange for he right one but that's just me tho.

Tinknocker
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Didn't this happen to someone else a month or two ago?:popcorn:

Gutter
01-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Seriously though, what store was it? It would be good for those of us in the area to know so as to be aware of any potential issues.

sigstroker
01-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Lol! Thanks for all the input. I'll start by making THEM wait 10 days before responding. Then I'll try to keep the billet one..

Chances are the serial number on the 4473 matches the on you got. If you do give it back, make sure they give you the 4473 back.

Junkie
01-11-2014, 11:11 PM

I just can't help but wonder, how does one not notice right away, a billet lower instead of forged? Unless you're total noob, you can tell the difference, blindfolded. Do you think you'd notice right away if it was the other way around, where you bought billet and they gave you forged instead?

Just sayin'

It was their mistake, and threatening you with DOJ is silly if not stupid on their part. In any case, you have leverage here.I have gone and bought a cheap lower without paying attention to the brand, knowing that any lower will work. If I bought a black lower and picked up an FDE lower that would be a different story, but if you're just trying to pick up something cheap before registration I could understand not paying attention.

hk-p2000
01-11-2014, 11:11 PM
What is the store name???

Why don't you post their name, they didn't treat you right when they call did they.

send it_hit
01-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Chances are the serial number on the 4473 matches the on you got. If you do give it back, make sure they give you the 4473 back.

I wonder if they'd actually hand over the 4473... I don't think they're legally bound to provide a copy (like with DROS), and in my experience it's against most company policies to hand out 4473's.

G38xOC
01-11-2014, 11:16 PM
dont you have to pick up ur right lower anyway ? if not , why not just return it on ur pick-up date ?

Off the Roster
01-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Here is an idea...

When you have time and are in town:

Take back the product they gave you by mistake and get the product you bought and paid for?

:shrug:

yup. folks wonder why gun owners can get a bad rep. i hope 90% of what y'all post is only internet bravado and not your true selves.

Synergy
01-11-2014, 11:30 PM
The store wouldn't happen to be in Roseville/Rocklin would it?

jb octane
01-11-2014, 11:36 PM
There is the possibility that the lower was purchased by the other person on/after the 1st. :shrug:

I didn't see anyone else bring it up, so I thought I would throw it out there.

infringed711
01-12-2014, 5:15 AM
yup. folks wonder why gun owners can get a bad rep. i hope 90% of what y'all post is only internet bravado and not your true selves.

My posts are honestly my true self, ill own them. If a store called me and threatened me over their **** up then **** them. If they put the wrong(lower he has right now) serial on his paperwork then they DROSed him that lower...it's his, and he's have to reDROS his other lower and register it. Maybe the store will check IDs in the future

12voltguy
01-12-2014, 5:33 AM
if you ever plan to shop there again, you may not want to be rude like so many have stated,they may " reseve the right to not serve you again"

infringed711
01-12-2014, 6:01 AM
if you ever plan to shop there again, you may not want to be rude like so many have stated,they may " reseve the right to not serve you again"

I personally wouldn't shop at a store that threatened me over their **** up but to each their own

Lex Vader
01-12-2014, 7:50 AM
I would love to know the name of the shop.

Siberian23
01-12-2014, 8:18 AM
I would have told the store sorry, I already threw a lpk in it and an upper. I'm actually shooting it this weekend at a carbine class, it's a little banged up already.....

12voltguy
01-12-2014, 8:57 AM
I personally wouldn't shop at a store that threatened me over their **** up but to each their own

me neither,but as bad as I read about shops like say turners................people still go back for 2nds,lol

keenkeen
01-12-2014, 9:10 AM
Check your paperwork. If the serial # matches you got a billet lower for the forged price. Also tell em it's also been assembled and they will have to pay gunsmith prices to disassemble and reassemble in the other lower.

OP, what I posted above is the absolute truth. Lot's of people commenting here with nothing constructive. Call them up, tell them B.S., I already have my lower parts kit in. Change you paper work. End of story.

I would have told the store sorry, I already threw a lpk in it and an upper. I'm actually shooting it this weekend at a carbine class, it's a little banged up already.....

Why lie?

Doesn't really seem necessary, but I guess it can be second nature sometimes.

YZINGERR
01-12-2014, 9:15 AM
Id call them and tell 'em their ten day wait begins.....now

junior40er
01-12-2014, 9:21 AM
Lol

rudedude916
01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Just sayin'

It was their mistake, and threatening you with DOJ is silly if not stupid on their part. In any case, you have leverage here.
When I bought it they were out of stock so I didn't know exactly what I was getting. I decided on that brand because they were a local company and wanted to support them .when I picked it up I picked up a black stripped lower, same brand I paid for. It wasn't untill the store called me and thhen I went on the manafactures website and noticed the one I recieved had a trigger guard and cost a couple bucks more. I am a noob and didn't notice the difference. It looks the same as my other forged lower minus the trigger guard.

The Gleam
01-12-2014, 11:02 AM
If it was purchased before the 1st of the year, THE FREAKEN CAL DOJ DOESN'T HAVE THE FREAKEN SERIAL NUMBER ANYWAY. The only place it's recorded is resident at the Gun Store on the 4473 and their A&D book. Why do people comment here if they don't know their butt from a whole in the ground?

Because:

1) He got a billet lower which may be more valuable than what was intended, or is indeed someone else's purchase.

2) The 4473 as recorded, and the fact that someone else out there in the world is out what they may have bought, is yet another victim out of the store's error.

3) Often, doing what is right is more important than being a bitter old man, talking out of your butt, from a hole in the ground. You don't have to completely capitulate, or make it easy for them, especially with the theatening tract the store took, but in the long run, yeah, the right thing should be done.

The Gleam
01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
I wonder if they'd actually hand over the 4473... I don't think they're legally bound to provide a copy (like with DROS), and in my experience it's against most company policies to hand out 4473's.

Unless they screwed it up. A Federal form with mistakes is rather a bad thing to leave unaddressed.

Elwood_Blues
01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
When I bought it they were out of stock so I didn't know exactly what I was getting. I decided on that brand because they were a local company and wanted to support them .when I picked it up I picked up a black stripped lower, same brand I paid for. It wasn't untill the store called me and thhen I went on the manafactures website and noticed the one I recieved had a trigger guard and cost a couple bucks more. I am a noob and didn't notice the difference. It looks the same as my other forged lower minus the trigger guard.

Fair enough, I know I sure as $h!t would have noticed a nice, billet trigger guard :D

cfm117
01-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Happened to me once about five years ago with two lowers. I order a pair of forged YHM online and when i went to my receiving FFL they had two Mega billet lowers. He checked logbook and said they were logged under my name upon arrival. He insisted they were correct and nobody else was complaining of getting the wrong receivers. The weird part was the retailer i ordered my receivers from did not carry Mega brand. Long story short, I got two billet Mega for price of two YHM forged.

SMarquez
01-12-2014, 2:25 PM
Why the shakedown to take something back to a LGS when they make a mistake? Are you a regular customer there? Do you plan on going back there ever again? Does anyone try to build any goodwill with their dealers? If it is a true inconvenience make arrangements convenient to you. Ask them to come get it maybe.
I don't like the DOJ threat but I would just point out to them they are wrong. I can pretty much guarantee you will be remembered but how do you want to be remembered?

peppermintman
01-12-2014, 2:37 PM
They didn't give you someone else's lower, they gave you an upgraded/better lower than you paid for. ...that's what happened! I bet if you tell them you are willing to pay the difference they will let you keep that exact lower.

I would complete your AR build with it and tell them to make it right with supposed other customer.:D

This is the one thing that makes the most sense. You got upgraded. The other person is going to get what he paid for too and the shop is going to have a forged it gotta sell.

I'd wait and not talk to them until you talk to DOJ first. Tell them I think I got an upgrade to my original purchase is it ok ?

We all here would like to know if the s/n on the lower matches your paperwork. I'd like the deal you got I'd keep it if it does. Store's mistake your benefit. I dont think the store will call DOJ and say they screwed up. They would look very very bad in DOJ's eyes.

infringed711
01-12-2014, 3:26 PM
Why the shakedown to take something back to a LGS when they make a mistake? Are you a regular customer there? Do you plan on going back there ever again? Does anyone try to build any goodwill with their dealers? If it is a true inconvenience make arrangements convenient to you. Ask them to come get it maybe.
I don't like the DOJ threat but I would just point out to them they are wrong. I can pretty much guarantee you will be remembered but how do you want to be remembered?

He tried to return it without issue, he was then threatened for not being able to bring it in immediately. He tried to do the right thing and they were douchebags. What happened to CS or owning your mistakes? What happened to businesses trying to build goodwill with their customers?

Donk310
01-12-2014, 3:49 PM
Sounds like Turners.

LOL! I was about to say the same thing.

choprzrul
01-12-2014, 3:54 PM

I see your point, but how does OP get an unregistered lower at this point? The LGS can not replace the unregistered forged lower with an unregistered cast lower.

missiontrails
01-12-2014, 4:01 PM
I see your point, but how does OP get an unregistered lower at this point? The LGS can not replace the unregistered forged lower with an unregistered cast lower.

You mean an unregistered Forged lower for an unregistered Billet lower...:)

choprzrul
01-12-2014, 5:24 PM
You mean an unregistered Forged lower for an unregistered Billet lower...:)

Please explain how that will be possible?

He started DROS on Christmas Eve, thus no mandated reporting/registration with the state. Any transaction done now will require a new DROS for the cast lower and, since the law took effect 1/1/14, the cast lower will be registered.

How do you propose OP gets around this???

What am I missing here?

rudedude916
01-12-2014, 5:51 PM
I just got home and checked my paper work. And the clerk didn't give me any new paper work for the pick up. He simply give me back my original purchase receipt that I gave him when I walked in to look me up. Therefore I have nothin other than the sale reciept and a copy of the DROS form. Nothing with a serial # on it. And I'm working out of town all week so I won't be able to go in to the store until next weekend.

rudedude916
01-12-2014, 5:55 PM
I plan on calling and talking to the store owner of this week and getting it sorted out.

infringed711
01-12-2014, 6:12 PM
I just got home and checked my paper work. And the clerk didn't give me any new paper work for the pick up. He simply give me back my original purchase receipt that I gave him when I walked in to look me up. Therefore I have nothin other than the sale reciept and a copy of the DROS form. Nothing with a serial # on it. And I'm working out of town all week so I won't be able to go in to the store until next weekend.

No serial on dros=you're good

rubbman
01-12-2014, 6:18 PM
OOOOOOOoo the plot thickins! I am curious because I was called back with my wife recently because they forgot to get a signature and thumbprint when we picked up her mini 14!

rudedude916
01-12-2014, 6:32 PM
I gave a thumbprint on the dros when I paid. And I signed something when I picked it up. I thought the clerk gave me a copy of that when he handed me back my original paperwork.

dachan
01-12-2014, 6:34 PM

Wow, three pages and this is the only comment that has it right.

smittty
01-12-2014, 11:51 PM
If it was dros'd before Christmas and you bring it in after the 30 days from the dros date you'll get stuck having to dros it all over again but this time it will be registered.

My suggestion, speak with the owner and have them work it out such that you don't have to re-dros another lower. If they can't then keep this lower and tell them to correct their paperwork to match your serial number.

jb octane
01-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Wow, three pages and this is the only comment that has it right.

How does that guarantee that the lower wasn't registered to someone else?

smittty
01-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Any update on this story?

GentleMinh
01-14-2014, 2:48 AM
:popcorn:

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
01-14-2014, 4:52 AM
It was an honest but stupid mistake and I would simply call the owner and hash this out with him, but I wouldn't go into the store beforehand. You don't need to come out ahead of the deal but you do need things to be made right. The biggest of course is not having to re-dros another lower and having it registered, as well as paying any associated fees.

That being said, their's nothing that pisses me off more than being threatened and or lied to, especially in a situation like this. This shop handled this foolish error in the exact opposite way it should've been handled. Instead of threatning you (possibly knowing you're a noob) with the DOJ, they could've easily just said they made a mistake and need this taken care of ASAP, period. The employee's rude behavior is what has everyone in an F* the store kinda mood, and I can't say that I blame them one bit. I almost don't see this coming to a mutual agreement unless A) you're not going to shop there after this or B) you have no issues with registering your original lower with the state. I would definitely however ask for an apology on top of making the situation right.

Goodluck with everything and don't back down from what you want! Or we'll have the mods change your name to rudethong69 :D

phase1
01-14-2014, 5:13 AM
Sounds like they are trying to scare you. Tell then to pound sand until you get back. This is on them...

And I would ask to be re-reimbursed for your time nad gas going to the store again.

I agree they need to re-imburse you for gas & time

phase1
01-14-2014, 5:27 AM
If they don't have a serial at all or have the wrong one then taking it back and getting yours should be simple, if the serial on the paperwork matches the reciever you have in your possession then they DROSed that to you so you'd have to reDROS the correct lower and register it

What if they try to make him pay another dros fee

infringed711
01-14-2014, 6:06 AM
What if they try to make him pay another dros fee

He said they had no recorded serial number for his lower on the dros so I say he just takes the upgrade and be happy.

rudedude916
01-14-2014, 6:41 AM
I talked to the owner. he said keep the lower the I have. It was a simple mistake by the clerk. He was cool about everything so when I get back in town. I'm gonna go in and pay the difference. Had I seen them both that time of time of purchase I might have chose the billet one anyways. I'll ask for a discount for the hassle but either way they made it right.
For the record I don't think the clerk on the phone ever threatened me with anything. He just realised what happened and tried to clear it up with no mess. I will continue to shop there.

44fred
01-14-2014, 8:23 AM
I talked to the owner. he said keep the lower the I have. It was a simple mistake by the clerk. He was cool about everything so when I get back in town. I'm gonna go in and pay the difference. Had I seen them both that time of time of purchase I might have chose the billet one anyways. I'll ask for a discount for the hassle but either way they made it right.
For the record I don't think the clerk on the phone ever threatened me with anything. He just realised what happened and tried to clear it up with no mess. I will continue to shop there.

That Sir is doing the right thing.
Glad it worked out ok.
It always amazes me when mistakes are made in our favor we expect to keep the gain. Reverse and we go nuts. This thought process applies to both retailer and customer. We have become extremely selfish.

MajorSideburns
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
The store is the only one with something to lose here. They called you because they get audited by DOJ and ATF every so often, and if something is off they can get fined or penalized. You are in no trouble and have done nothing wrong, broke no laws. If they are being rude and making threats to you I would just keep it to teach them a lesson. If they call DOJ they are the only ones who will be in hot water. But if they were nice about it and apologized for making a mistake I would go in and return it if it's not too inconvenient. If you live far from the store and it will cost you a ton of gas, I would talk to their manager and express this concern, I'm sure they will give you something to make up for the trouble and it will still cost them much less than the paperwork and headache of having to straighten the books out during an audit they receive.

hermosabeach
01-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Sounds like Turners.

As a turners customer, the employee always reads the S/N in the back and they have a second set of eyes- aka manager- view the paperwork.

As on of the largest chains in CA, they are slow with both the initial paperwork and pickup paperwork.

Gotta love the Haters on the interweb

rudedude916
01-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree. I should have double checked too.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Staticsouls
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
It sounds like they sold and Drosed a lower that they did not even have at the point of sale, which is most likely their first **** up.

RNE228
01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
What always amazes me, after being on a number of web sites since the beginning of the "web", is how a slight mention of an issue turns in to a blaze of flames.

People "talk" different on the net, as compared to in person.

That Sir is doing the right thing.
Glad it worked out ok.
It always amazes me when mistakes are made in our favor we expect to keep the gain. Reverse and we go nuts. This thought process applies to both retailer and customer. We have become extremely selfish.

ptgarcia
01-14-2014, 11:55 AM

If it were me, I would split the difference in cost with the shop but I wouldn't cover the cost completely.

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
I'm glad it worked out and things were made right, however I would still want an apology. OP you had quite a few of us up in arms because you initially made it seem as if the employee was threatening you with the doj comments, but all of a sudden you reverse course on that notion. I'm sure you're happy with the end result as you should be, but remember this, had you not had Calguns at your disposal (like thousands of gun owners don't), you would've likely panicked over the doj threats and returned early from your trip, probably not compensated for it, and now have a registered lower locked up for another 10 days.

Me also thinks someone at the store saw this thread and it changed the way this transaction was handled. Food for thought.

Masterdebater
01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
i was going to suggest the same thing you did OP. no way would i return the lower and have to REGISTER a new one, id offer to pay the difference in what you paid for and the billet and leave it at that. good on you OP and not living up to your name. (what i did there)

Oldnoob
01-14-2014, 3:21 PM

Good man.

smittty
01-14-2014, 5:53 PM
Good to hear that it's resolved. It's too bad the shop owner didn't say "just keep it and I'm sorry for the confusion". I can't imagine the cost difference is anything significant but all that's important is that you're satisfied with the deal.

peppermintman
01-14-2014, 6:13 PM
If it was dros'd before Christmas and you bring it in after the 30 days from the dros date you'll get stuck having to dros it all over again but this time it will be registered.

My suggestion, speak with the owner and have them work it out such that you don't have to re-dros another lower. If they can't then keep this lower and tell them to correct their paperwork to match your serial number.

So if he waits to like 31 days then the store owner has to pay for DROS fees or do it free? Either way DOJ will learn about the FU. I like the idea of 31 days so a customer can get a good deal once in while. The store has to buy another for the other customer. I still say keep it. Stores mistake . Let them explain to DOJ :) If the store calls you just hit the reject call and say you're in a meeting. Is the store like calling you non stop? :)

rudedude916
01-14-2014, 6:44 PM
Good to hear that it's resolved. It's too bad the shop owner didn't say "just keep it and I'm sorry for the confusion". I can't imagine the cost difference is anything significant but all that's important is that you're satisfied with the deal.

That's is what he said. I offered to cover some of the balance. It's only a few bucks. I aint lookin fot a handout.

Syds Grandpa
01-14-2014, 8:08 PM
Because:

1) He got a billet lower which may be more valuable than what was intended, or is indeed someone else's purchase.

2) The 4473 as recorded, and the fact that someone else out there in the world is out what they may have bought, is yet another victim out of the store's error.

3) Often, doing what is right is more important than being a bitter old man, talking out of your butt, from a hole in the ground. You don't have to completely capitulate, or make it easy for them, especially with the theatening tract the store took, but in the long run, yeah, the right thing should be done.

Bitter Old Man huh? We should meet sometime. You'd spot. O.K. Einstein, what happened on the 1rst? If this guy needs to re DROS will he be able to take advantage of not registering long guns? So was he damaged? Where are the records? Can that ffl change those records? Are you an idiot with a big Mouth? YES to most. And I'm always available.

smittty
01-16-2014, 7:57 AM
That's is what he said. I offered to cover some of the balance. It's only a few bucks. I aint lookin fot a handout.

You're a good man!

The Gleam
01-20-2014, 8:30 AM
Bitter Old Man huh? We should meet sometime. You'd spot. O.K. Einstein, what happened on the 1rst? If this guy needs to re DROS will he be able to take advantage of not registering long guns? So was he damaged? Where are the records? Can that ffl change those records? Are you an idiot with a big Mouth? YES to most. And I'm always available.

Lovely. Good luck to you; you win in the great battle of 2014 against... yourself. :thumbsup:

As you can see, all is well that ended well; the right thing was done, and as you can see, I was right from the start. Glad to see the OP got it squared with very little effort.

sactown308
01-20-2014, 10:09 AM
@the gleam
In the end syds grandpa was actually right. You were saying he should take it back but than he would have to re DROs wich would defy the piont of getting it before the 1st. The serial number isn't to cal doj so they have no record. And for some dam reason you automatically think he has someone else's lower. The stores employee accidentally grabbed the wrong one I'm sure. In the end your making your self look like a real idiot.

The Gleam
01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
@the gleam
In the end syds grandpa was actually right. You were saying he should take it back but than he would have to re DROs wich would defy the piont of getting it before the 1st. The serial number isn't to cal doj so they have no record. And for some dam reason you automatically think he has someone else's lower. The stores employee accidentally grabbed the wrong one I'm sure. In the end your making your self look like a real idiot.

OK - whatever you say Syds Grandpa's sock puppet with your 30 posts.

Next!

rubbman
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
I find it funny how tough people act from behind a computer screen!!! This thread has degraded to caveman intelligence!

e90bmw
01-20-2014, 12:37 PM
My FFL made me check the numbers on DROS *AND* pickup for my two lowers.

sactown308
01-20-2014, 1:05 PM
Lol that's what you have to come back with is a post count. Grow up buddy. You must e pretty immature and young with how defensive you get with everything. Calm down buddy this is the internet. Everyone is open to having their own opinion but you don't see it like that

Norcalkid
01-20-2014, 2:55 PM
I'm all for being cool with the local gun store and trying to work with them. But it it meant having to register it after buying it last year I would tell them to kick rocks. I'm sure they can understand you were buying it before the new year for a reason.

MachineGuntongue
01-20-2014, 5:12 PM
Read this thread in two parts. Glad to see a good resolution. Hassles like that can leave a bitter taste if not done right.

Of next to the "found hidden safe in my new house" thread. Hopefully updated pics and safe cracked undamaged. Full of MAK-90s, kilos and pounds and Pythons. And that Red Ryder too.

cabinetguy
01-20-2014, 5:14 PM
Read this thread in two parts. Glad to see a good resolution. Hassles like that can leave a bitter taste if not done right.

Of next to the "found hidden safe in my new house" thread. Hopefully updated pics and safe cracked undamaged. Full of MAK-90s, kilos and pounds and Pythons. And that Red Ryder too.

Perhaps the next thread will be "someones lower found in my safe";)

Syds Grandpa
01-20-2014, 9:00 PM
Lovely. Good luck to you; you win in the great battle of 2014 against... yourself. :thumbsup:

As you can see, all is well that ended well; the right thing was done, and as you can see, I was right from the start. Glad to see the OP got it squared with very little effort.

I think these forums work a lot better with a little mutual respect. Obviously you didn't see my point. Bitter Old Man is out of line. Treat me with respect, and I'll treat you with respect.

CK_32
01-20-2014, 9:06 PM
As a turners customer, the employee always reads the S/N in the back and they have a second set of eyes- aka manager- view the paperwork.

As on of the largest chains in CA, they are slow with both the initial paperwork and pickup paperwork.

Gotta love the Haters on the interweb

Although I'm not a fan of turner, BY ANY MEANS... They do have a pretty long check out process, My Glock 23 went through 4 hands before it was finally cleared for me to leave.

I agree. I should have double checked too.

F the serial ##.. I still dont know a single one of mine. Should have been pretty obvious to OP that the lower was not even close to what he wanted. Well maybe more of what he wanted but not what he paid. I research every firearm I'm pre purchase I basically know it inside and out before even meeting for PPT/DROS. So if anything is out of wack I'd know first touch. But as far as S/N I'd notice the lower WELL before I noticed the SN.