PDA

View Full Version : Burro Canyon/M1a Question

Cato
02-20-2008, 5:17 PM
This President's Day I went out to zero my new M1A. I had thought the first pole was 100yards. My rifle was shooting about 6 inches low at this distance and my rear sights were all the way down. I was shooting to the left too; I had to move my front sights way over to the left too. How far out is the first marker (white rubber pole)? The older RO was there that day and told me that the first marker was only 50yards. Could it be at 50 yards the bullet was still rising in its trajectory?

Mr. Ed
02-20-2008, 6:02 PM
The bullet is still rising at 100 yds too.

HKROB
02-20-2008, 6:48 PM
The first stake is 50 yds the 2nd is 100 yds & the berm is about 200 yds.

Pryde
02-20-2008, 6:48 PM
What brand M1A?

wildcard
02-20-2008, 6:53 PM
This President's Day I went out to zero my new M1A. I had thought the first pole was 100yards. My rifle was shooting about 6 inches low at this distance and my rear sights were all the way down. I was shooting to the left too; I had to move my front sights way over to the left too. How far out is the first marker (white rubber pole)? The older RO was there that day and told me that the first marker was only 50yards. Could it be at 50 yards the bullet was still rising in its trajectory?

The 1st pole is 50 yds. You're shooting way too low as you should only be about .75" low at 50 yds if zeroed for 100 yds. Raise your rear sight to raise your point of impact.

tommyid1
02-20-2008, 7:38 PM
i was going to say your rear site is all the way down you need to raise it to raise point of impact. but i got beat to the punch similarly with the rear site move it the direction you want your groups to move. I live in concord, where is burro canyon?

wildcard
02-20-2008, 7:41 PM
i was going to say your rear site is all the way down you need to raise it to raise point of impact. but i got beat to the punch similarly with the rear site move it the direction you want your groups to move. I live in concord, where is burro canyon?

City of Azusa.. LA County

Cato
02-20-2008, 7:46 PM
What brand M1A?

Springfield Inc.

Thanks for the imput fellas!

Sheldon
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.burrocanyon.com/index.html

eric1972
02-21-2008, 12:41 AM
I also sighted in my M1A (Socom 16) this weekend, and I found that it's about 11 clicks up from dead bottom for a 200 yard zero, so I'm thinking that the sights bottomed out is probably too low to start with for a 100 yard zero?

RegularLT1
02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
I had to raise my rear sight on my Springfield M1A a good bit to get it right at 50 yards. Interestingly, when I took it to 100 yards it needed no further adjustment.

It also needed a good bit of left adjustment as well, but I think that had to do with Springfield's crap box and at least one hard knock during shipping. One of the "ears" on the front sight is actually bent.

smle-man
02-21-2008, 8:15 AM
I had to raise my rear sight on my Springfield M1A a good bit to get it right at 50 yards. Interestingly, when I took it to 100 yards it needed no further adjustment.

It also needed a good bit of left adjustment as well, but I think that had to do with Springfield's crap box and at least one hard knock during shipping. One of the "ears" on the front sight is actually bent.

If you want to zero your rifle for windage, center the rear sight and adjust with the front. Move the front sight towards the group to move the group the opposite way (i.e. if the rifle is shooting to the left, move the front sight to the left and the group will move to the right. The windage adjustments on the rear sight are just that - temporary adjustments to counteract the effect of wind conditions when you are shooting at that time. For elevation, once your sight is properly adjusted for 100 meters (not yards) loosen the locking screw for the elevation knob and while holding the rear aperture in place turn the elevation knob until the '1' mark is lined up with the witness mark on the rear sight housing. Tighten the screw. Now your sight is properly dialed in. Make sure you are using NATO milspec ammo for sighting in or the trajectory of the round will not match the sights for adjustments beyound 100 meters.

Good luck and happy shooting.

30Cal
02-21-2008, 8:54 AM
This President's Day I went out to zero my new M1A. I had thought the first pole was 100yards. My rifle was shooting about 6 inches low at this distance and my rear sights were all the way down.

That's what I would expect (3-9 clicks up for 100yds).

Oswald2001
02-21-2008, 9:43 AM
I measured the berm (using a tape measure) there about 1 year ago.

It was at about 175 yards.

Cato
02-21-2008, 9:58 PM

My front sight is almost all the way over to the left: looks retarded. Works fine though. I thought the 1, 2, 3, click markers were for 100, 200, 300 yards; I guess that is not the case.