PDA

View Full Version : finishing ironwood's yugo stock set.....help needed!!

reddot556
02-20-2008, 3:34 PM
i will be recieving it in a few days..i believe its the teak wood. i have heard just use boiled lindseed oil..does that sound right? i am a complete dolt when it comes to doing anything with wood, but can't afford to send it out to have it done..i sure can't afford to screw it up so i'm asking the more knowledgable out there...do i really boil the oil? how do i apply it.sponge brush?,regular brush?, with a rag? submerse?..please help...thanks, mark

oaklander
02-20-2008, 3:43 PM
BLO refers to a type of linseed oil that is modified to make it dry faster. Do NOT boil it. Also, if you use it - be really careful with any dirty rags, as they can spontaneously combust (I'm not kidding).

A lot of this depends on what kind of finish you want.

BLO will not give you a super shiny finish - but will give you a generally durable semi-gloss finish.

Some people (me included) swear by MinWax "Wood-Sheen" which is similar to a cross between an oil and a poly finish. It also gives a nice semi gloss finish.

I've also heard of good results with polyurethane spray.

The first think you need to do is to think about color - is the wood the color you want? If not, then you will need to stain it BEFORE you put on any finish (such as Wood-Sheen or BLO).

FEDUPWBS
02-20-2008, 3:55 PM
Ironwood website has very detailed info on how to prep the wood. Follow them closely and you will not be disappointed.

artvls
02-20-2008, 5:02 PM
Why not use teak wood oil?

m24armorer
02-20-2008, 5:41 PM
Call Matt....

jandmtv
02-20-2008, 6:02 PM
as far as wood prep, follow the instructions on ironwoods website.

for the stain, i used rubbing alcohol and rit clothing dye (search the forum, i posted my formula for the red russian stain)

for the finish, i hand rubbed tru-oil

here is my finished AK with Ironwood stock just so you can get an idea. the pic doesnt do the actual color any justice, but you will get an idea.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/jandmtv/DSC01001.jpg

artvls
02-20-2008, 7:42 PM
Keep in mind the reason for teak wood is it's light color, using a stain defeats the purpose of the teak.

oaklander
02-20-2008, 7:44 PM
That's some nice wood!!!

as far as wood prep, follow the instructions on ironwoods website.

for the stain, i used rubbing alcohol and rit clothing dye (search the forum, i posted my formula for the red russian stain)

for the finish, i hand rubbed tru-oil

here is my finished AK with Ironwood stock just so you can get an idea. the pic doesnt do the actual color any justice, but you will get an idea.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd107/jandmtv/DSC01001.jpg

QuarterBoreGunner
02-20-2008, 7:58 PM
Call Matt....
Yeah talk to Shu.

jandmtv
02-20-2008, 8:56 PM
That's some nice wood!!!

:eek: lol, thanx:D