PDA

View Full Version : SOG flashback

tvfreakarms
01-08-2014, 5:36 AM
I really don't know anything about knives all that much. I'm looking to purchase one. Here's youtube vid about the sog flashback knives.
On the vid he has 2 of the same assisted opening knives but different blade shape. What does the 2 different type of blades are used for?

What do you guys think about the SOG flashback knives? Or the Kershaw piston 1860?

I plan on using it for general use like cutting boxes and what not.

How durable are these blades and how long does the sharpness last?

Can these knives be resharpen?

Also, for the sog is there possible issues of popping open on its own?

Thanks.

SOG flashback knives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJBFj6LdNxI&feature=em-uploademail&noredirect=1)

Spawn
01-10-2014, 8:29 PM
I honestly do not like SOG or Kershaw knives. I am not a fan a assisted knives anyways. The edge of the blade will depend on the steel and the ease of sharpening will depend on the steel as well. For example AUS-8 can get a wicked edge but it does not last too long and it is prone to rust. Another example is S30V. An amazing steel; super strong and sharp, but it is a pain in the butt to sharpen because it is so strong. Judging from the height of the thumbstud on the Flashback it doesn't look like there will be accidental openings. The fine tip of the blade can suffer damage if thumped on. Honestly this blade is more for self-defense. There are better options for just cutting boxes. Kershaw Cryo, Spyderco Delica, Ka-bar Dozier Folding Knives (also reviewed by Nutnfancy), Spyederco Tenacious. But I can see why you like the Flashback. It's a great choice.

Blademan21
01-12-2014, 2:42 PM
I really don't know anything about knives all that much. I'm looking to purchase one. Here's youtube vid about the sog flashback knives.
On the vid he has 2 of the same assisted opening knives but different blade shape. What does the 2 different type of blades are used for?

What do you guys think about the SOG flashback knives? Or the Kershaw piston 1860?

I plan on using it for general use like cutting boxes and what not.

How durable are these blades and how long does the sharpness last?

Can these knives be resharpen?

Also, for the sog is there possible issues of popping open on its own?

Thanks.

SOG flashback knives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJBFj6LdNxI&feature=em-uploademail&noredirect=1)

Keep in mind that cutting boxes or paper will dull a knife edge real quick. A box cutter with a replaceable blade is better for that kind of work. That being said the two different blade styles are a drop and a tanto point. The drop point is for general use. The tanto is for ease of penetration. The assisted opening knives have a detent ball on the blade that helps the blade stay closed until you push on the blade stud to open it. A set of crock sticks can sharpen these knives by most folks. Don't use stones on new knives. Use them on cheap knives to practice if you want to use stones. A sharp edge will last depending on what you cut with it. Like a pair of shoes,the more you wear them the more they will need to be polished :D. Buy what feels good in you hand and carry a few finger band aids in your pocket. You are bound to cut yourself when playing with the knife.

tvfreakarms
01-13-2014, 1:55 AM
Any other knives you can suggest?

Keep in mind that cutting boxes or paper will dull a knife edge real quick. A box cutter with a replaceable blade is better for that kind of work. That being said the two different blade styles are a drop and a tanto point. The drop point is for general use. The tanto is for ease of penetration. The assisted opening knives have a detent ball on the blade that helps the blade stay closed until you push on the blade stud to open it. A set of crock sticks can sharpen these knives by most folks. Don't use stones on new knives. Use them on cheap knives to practice if you want to use stones. A sharp edge will last depending on what you cut with it. Like a pair of shoes,the more you wear them the more they will need to be polished :D. Buy what feels good in you hand and carry a few finger band aids in your pocket. You are bound to cut yourself when playing with the knife.

tvfreakarms
01-13-2014, 1:55 AM
Thanks.

Ill check those knives you suggested

I honestly do not like SOG or Kershaw knives. I am not a fan a assisted knives anyways. The edge of the blade will depend on the steel and the ease of sharpening will depend on the steel as well. For example AUS-8 can get a wicked edge but it does not last too long and it is prone to rust. Another example is S30V. An amazing steel; super strong and sharp, but it is a pain in the butt to sharpen because it is so strong. Judging from the height of the thumbstud on the Flashback it doesn't look like there will be accidental openings. The fine tip of the blade can suffer damage if thumped on. Honestly this blade is more for self-defense. There are better options for just cutting boxes. Kershaw Cryo, Spyderco Delica, Ka-bar Dozier Folding Knives (also reviewed by Nutnfancy), Spyederco Tenacious. But I can see why you like the Flashback. It's a great choice.

101st Airborne
01-13-2014, 2:35 AM
I carry a SOG Twitch II daily and I love it. Made me a big fan of SOG products. I like it so much I bought a second one.