PDA

View Full Version : making 10/20 round mags

moulton
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I am looking at making up some 10/20 round mags to go along with my retro project and I was thinking. What if I were to order one of these and have them dissasembled. http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH20
http://www.44mag.com/images/nh20.jpg

Could I fill the bottom of the magazine with Bondo and then weld the floorplate on only allowing the magazine to hold 10 rounds?

Jicko
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Do you own any of these 20 rounds magazines or compatible ones?

moulton
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Do you own any of these 20 rounds magazines or compatible ones?

not as of yet, but they can be imported dismantled and be kosher with the DOJ

Jicko
02-20-2008, 1:31 AM
not as of yet, but they can be imported dismantled and be kosher with the DOJ

Please point out WHERE did the DOJ state that you can import parts high cap magazine parts when you DO NOT own any high cap magazine.

You should write them a letter to ask.

apbrian112
02-20-2008, 2:11 AM
you can import them all you want, as long as you don't assemble them into new high cap mags. if you were to take a parts kit and make it into a 10/20 or 10/30 w/o assembling a mag with a round limit higher than 10 rounds, you should be good to go. please correct me if i am wrong, just going off of what i've read here.

thefinger
02-20-2008, 8:04 AM
Please point out WHERE did the DOJ state that you can import parts high cap magazine parts when you DO NOT own any high cap magazine.

I wasn't aware that the DOJ had to give us permission for everything I do. I thought it was just there job to tell us what NOT TO DO. Can you point to where the DOJ states that we cannot import high cap mag parts if we don't own equivalent pre-ban mags? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that as long as they are never assembled in >10rd form the person is doing nothing illegal.

Coat of Arms
02-20-2008, 8:10 AM
My older brother has two 30 round pre-ban mags that he has had for ever we want to change them into 10/30, I asked Hactor over at CWS if there was a kit or something else to make them CA Compliant. He told me that the only way we could use them is with a featureless rifle.

I don't know if it's true yet haven't done any research just took his word for it. If that is false info please point me in the right directions.

Thanks

moulton
02-20-2008, 8:31 AM

But I do own several that I was given by a family member before the ban That I use on my Monsterman Build:cool:

apbrian112
02-20-2008, 9:59 AM
My older brother has two 30 round pre-ban mags that he has had for ever we want to change them into 10/30, I asked Hactor over at CWS if there was a kit or something else to make them CA Compliant. He told me that the only way we could use them is with a featureless rifle.

I don't know if it's true yet haven't done any research just took his word for it. If that is false info please point me in the right directions.

Thanks

dont change them into 10/30 mags!! just buy a couple of 10rounders if you want to do a featureless build. you might end up doing a featureless build and you'll want those mags then.

Jicko
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
But I do own several that I was given by a family member before the ban That I use on my Monsterman Build:cool:

That's the *right* answer.

Anyways, just make sure you understand the law and do nothing illegal.

Importation of high cap parts for the purpose of manufacturing a new magazine seems kinda grey.....

moulton
02-20-2008, 10:22 AM
That's the *right* answer.

Anyways, just make sure you understand the law and do nothing illegal.

Importation of high cap parts for the purpose of manufacturing a new magazine seems kinda grey.....
Ok, what if I were to do this out of state while visiting family in montana or Utah.... I was just wondering if bondo and welding the floorplate would be enough to satisfy the DOJ requirement

Jicko
02-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Ok, what if I were to do this out of state while visiting family in montana or Utah.... I was just wondering if bondo and welding the floorplate would be enough to satisfy the DOJ requirement

Probably..... but why don't you just BUY one.... then you have much more grounds to stand on..... it is commerically "advertised" as a 10 rounds magazine.... and if the 11th round get in.... it was just a malfunction rather than importation of a "large capacity magazine".

moulton
02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Probably..... but why don't you just BUY one.... then you have much more grounds to stand on..... it is commerically "advertised" as a 10 rounds magazine.... and if the 11th round get in.... it was just a malfunction rather than importation of a "large capacity magazine".

I hate the blued steel Pro-Mags, they are the only 10/20 round mags I can find and I need one to go with my retro project:cool:

Jicko
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.metroshotfirearms.com/shop.html

Save yourself some trouble. They have COLT's 10/20.

moulton
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.metroshotfirearms.com/shop.html

Save yourself some trouble. They have COLT's 10/20.

sweet, that is exactly what I was looking for. :D:hurray::Ivan:

SunriseF150
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I hate the blued steel Pro-Mags, they are the only 10/20 round mags I can find and I need one to go with my retro project:cool:

You could always refinish the body though. I hate the finish also and plan on refinishing the body to the grey color using either Permasilk-G, Duracoat, or something else.

Josh3239
02-20-2008, 1:19 PM

Somebody already did that and Bill Locklyer replied that it was 100% legal. The letter floats around this board every now and then, I'll bet hofmang or Bill Weise has it.

According to the letter of the law, the only thing the DOJ say on hi caps are:
1) No importing, manufactering or selling
2) Cannot use in a fixed magazine