PDA

View Full Version : Bi pod for Saiga

1lostinspace
02-19-2008, 7:55 PM
Has anyone installed a bi pod on one? I have a regular type Harris.

bwiese
02-19-2008, 7:58 PM
Why would you put a bipod on a non-freefloated barrel and (easily) move your point of impact 3-6 MOA?

STG58 FAL 7.62 rifles w/bipods extended and rifle resting on it can readily have point of impact move 5-6" from when bipod's retracted.

I have every confidence the Saiga would show something roughly similar.

1lostinspace
02-19-2008, 8:01 PM
Why would you put a bipod on a non-freefloated barrel and (easily) move your point of impact 3-6 MOA?

STG58 FAL 7.62 rifles w/bipods extended and rifle resting on it can readily have point of impact move 5-6" from when bipod's retracted.

I think with my reloads .223 I should shoot under 2 moa.

jacques
02-19-2008, 8:06 PM

I put a cheap bi-pod on mine for when my daughter shoots it because it is a little heavy for her and she enjoys it that way.

However, I have only shot it at the glass factory, way to busy there to do any real testing of accuracy, (one of these days I need to take a day off work, go up there really early and have the place all to myself), but I can hit a propane tank at about 100 yards away with every shot, using the sights only.

69Mach1
02-19-2008, 9:22 PM
Check this thread out. It was easy to do.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=83681

1lostinspace
02-20-2008, 9:16 PM
Check this thread out. It was easy to do.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=83681

cool thanks

rksimple
02-20-2008, 9:38 PM
I think with my reloads .223 I should shoot under 2 moa.

I don't think thats what he was saying. Even at 2 moa, that 2 moa group will shift depending on if the bipod is being utilized. Using the bipod, you poi will shift up.

simonov
02-21-2008, 5:33 AM

Why would mounting a bipod at virtually the same location where your support hand would be have any deleterious effect on accuracy?

http://www.guntards.net/images/58.jpg

One of the advantages of the Saiga over the AK is that nice "sporting" forend that allows you to properly mount a bipod. I try to mount a bipod on all my rifles, except for milsurps. If nothing else, it keeps the rifles out of the dirt.

With my Saiga, I got rid of the cheesy Rooskie forward sling swivel stud and replaced it with an Uncle Mike's machine sling swivel stud, securing it with a nut on the inside of the forend (I always prefer using machine studs with nuts rather than those flimsy wood screw arrangements; must be the machinist in me). It accepts a Harris bipod so elegantly I am convinced the Rooskies had the Harris in mind when they designed the forend.

This is also the proper way to mount a bipod on an SKS. The Butler Creek stocks have a plug of extra material in them perfect for drilling out and fitting with a sling swivel stud:

http://www.guntards.net/images/59.jpg

All these rifles shoot wonderfully (and comfortably!) with their bipods.

1lostinspace
02-21-2008, 6:18 AM
I heard that if you install a bi pod on a Saiga your head would fly right off:D

Full Clip
02-21-2008, 8:19 AM
Why would mounting a bipod at virtually the same location where your support hand would be have any deleterious effect on accuracy?

I'd like to know as well. That may make sense with a cheap barrel-mounted bipod, but seems illogical with this setup.

BTW, nice rifles.

rksimple
02-21-2008, 8:29 AM
I'd like to know as well. That may make sense with a cheap barrel-mounted bipod, but seems illogical with this setup.

BTW, nice rifles.

It will happen, albeit to a lesser extent. The accuracy capability of the rifle may mask any signs of POI shift. When you're used to shooting .5 MOA groups, and have a rifle that can do it, these shifts are more readily observed.

simonov
02-21-2008, 8:59 AM
It will happen, albeit to a lesser extent.

That's not an explanation. I mount my bipods exactly where the rifle would be sitting on a rest. Now the Calguns Canon is that using a rest hurts your accuracy? I think a claim like that requires an explanation.

The accuracy capability of the rifle may mask any signs of POI shift. When you're used to shooting .5 MOA groups, and have a rifle that can do it, these shifts are more readily observed.

Dude, this thread is about Saigas (and SKSes).

Though I would like to see some examples of the rifles you have in mind. My entire life I have found that using my Springfield M1903 (easily sub-MOA capable) with a rest helped me shoot more accurately. Now I am hearing it was all an illusion!

bwiese
02-21-2008, 9:18 AM
It will happen, albeit to a lesser extent. The accuracy capability of the rifle may mask any signs of POI shift. When you're used to shooting .5 MOA groups, and have a rifle that can do it, these shifts are more readily observed.

Correct.

When I shoot my non-freefloated rifles froma bench I rest the rifle in the rest back where the bbl is affixed to the receiver. Much less of an issue then.

Using std bulk ball ammo in a STG58 FAL, you can get 4-6 MOA POI movement with the bipod extended vs. retracted and the rifle rested toward the rear (not front) of the bbl.

bwiese
02-21-2008, 9:20 AM
That's not an explanation. I mount my bipods exactly where the rifle would be sitting on a rest. Now the Calguns Canon is that using a rest hurts your accuracy? I think a claim like that requires an explanation.

Nobody caring about reducing POI shift rests their bbl out in front where it can flex more. If you've got a bag rest, rest the rifle where the bbl meets the receiver instead of where the bipod might attach.