PDA

View Full Version : Stock slop

mikey15
01-07-2014, 8:46 AM
I'm building my first AR. I got the GL-Mag. Put it on a mil-spec buffer tube. Its tight side to side but has about an 1/8th" top to bottom movement. Is this common with a magpul?

pterrell
01-07-2014, 8:47 AM
Did you get an airsoft stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

thegamettt
01-07-2014, 8:51 AM
I have 2 magpuls that do that. They are not airsoft.

desertrider
01-07-2014, 8:56 AM
I'm building my first AR. I got the GL-Mag. Put it on a mil-spec buffer tube. Its tight side to side but has about an 1/8th" top to bottom movement. Is this common with a magpul?

Are you certain the stock isn't commercial going on a mil-spec tube?

Sounds like a "tossing a hot dog down a hallway" scenario to me. You sure it's tight side to side?

desertrider
01-07-2014, 8:57 AM
I have 2 magpuls that do that. They are not airsoft.

Really?

Looks like I'm gonna have to make a trip into the safe and do some checking of my own.

ZRen
01-07-2014, 8:59 AM
I have no experience with the GL-Mag, but if it's commercial spec (1.168" diameter) on a MilSpec (1.148" diameter) tube, that would account for some play.
Prob isn't the case, just sayin.

However if you have the stock extended and at the back of the stock, it's only moving up and down 1/8" - that's not too much to worry about.
I had a magpul MOE MilSpec stock on a MilSpec buffer that had about that much wiggle. I got a magpul STR and the wiggle went away.

ETA: I've also heard of people having "wiggle" with the Magpul MOE and then upgrading to a CTR and the wiggle goes away

mikey15
01-07-2014, 9:26 AM
it's fab defense. They use one system that has tensioners on the side so you can go mil spec or commercial. 1/8" fully extended 1/16"ish all the way forward. I was going to try commercial but it's already pretty tight sliding it. I have till the end of jan to return so I'll check out the magpul booth at shot show. I really like the stock and I'll probably get flamed for it but oh well I like it.

sffred
01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
I have almost all magpul collapsible stocks (besides the STR) and none of them do that

pterrell
01-07-2014, 1:25 PM
it's fab defense. They use one system that has tensioners on the side so you can go mil spec or commercial. 1/8" fully extended 1/16"ish all the way forward. I was going to try commercial but it's already pretty tight sliding it. I have till the end of jan to return so I'll check out the magpul booth at shot show. I really like the stock and I'll probably get flamed for it but oh well I like it.

That might be the cause. Try a true mil spec buffer and see if that helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mikey15
01-07-2014, 4:16 PM
I have a true mil spec buffer. I might try a commercial buffer. I'm going to put a dab of jb weld and mill it down on top of the tube

valley82
01-07-2014, 5:04 PM
I have a bunch of magpul stocks from MOE to UBR none of them do that.

95t-100
01-08-2014, 9:32 AM
I had a cheap "milspec" buffer tube and my ACS Magpul stock had a lot of play, I replaced the tube with a S&W milspec tube my brother had laying around and now there is absolutely no play in it. My brother's vltor tube is the same, no play with the magpul stock mounted. Make sure you have a quality buffer tube.

thegamettt
01-08-2014, 9:45 AM
I just checked and my moe does, but the CTR doesn't.

mikey15
01-08-2014, 5:34 PM
Fixed it put a little jb weld ground it down with a dremel. It's rock solid now. Stock slides over it you can't see what I did