PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Sharpmaker

JoshuaS
01-06-2014, 9:06 PM
Parents gave me this for Christmas. So far have had some fun with it. But can't seem to get the knives as sharp as in the demo video.

So three questions

1. How do you tell if a back bevel is needed? I have some real old knives that have seen some use

2. What are good ways for testing various stages of sharpening? My SOG Trident is one thing, but my Ontario AF Survival knife seems to be a lot harder to sharpen. It would be helpful to know when to move to the next step.

3. Any tips for doing long blades? Is it bad to do half the length at a time?

jeffrice6
01-07-2014, 1:25 AM
I'll get right to it.... The Spyderco is the very best for those of us that can't use a stone! That being said, it is not the best for all things. If you want your Sharpmaker to be the very best, purchase the diamond rods!

If you start with a quality knife at a true 20 or 30 degree angle the Sharpmaker is perfect! But unfortunately, not many knives come that way. So you will be left grinding away with the "medium" rods (a true chore as well as grinding up your stone).....unfortunately this is what I do till i get my angle. But once you have your angles established the Sharpmaker is money! Again, much headaches can be avoided buy purchasing the diamond stones and having the perfect sharpening system........

Max Power!
01-07-2014, 9:46 AM
If it is a knife I've never sharpened before, I start with the diamond stones to get the blade at the new angle.

Softer steels will be easier to sharpen quickly, but will not hold an edge for very long. Harder, quality steels will take longer to sharpen but will hold an edge better.