PDA

View Full Version : Smiths 2 stone sharpening kit

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 8:04 PM
Hi. I received 3 blades as gifts this year for Xmas as well as the Smiths 2 stone sharpening kit. Now my question is and I know there are "youtube how to's" on how to use sharpening stones but I would like advice from my fellow calgunners. I have tried using both stones to put an edge on the MTech survival knife but it seems no matter what I do, it will not sharpen. I tried also to make the Smith and Wesson knife a little sharper but I think I made it a little dull in the process. What is the best method of putting an edge on a knife with the Smiths 2 stone system?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qnL02A-7L.jpg

The blades are as follows:

1)Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Liner Lock Folder.
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/product/folding-knives/478242-148748/smith-wesson-extreme-ops-liner-lock-folder.html
Considering it is not built directly by S&W (now Taylor Brands) it is a decent knife for $12. It came out of the box somewhat sharp but still not as sharp as I would like.
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/photos/product/giant/4782420S164333/tactical-knives/extreme-ops-liner-lock-folder.jpg

2)MTech Hunting Knife with Fire Starter
http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Camping-Knife-Starter-Sheath/dp/B00GMR5KOG/ref=pd_sim_sg_27
This knife looks and feels awesome but the blade edge is kind of crooked and it is DULL. The firestarter that it comes with works but is lacking in sparks.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41k999NZqVL.jpg

3)Elk Ridge ER-272 Axe 8-Inch
http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Ridge-ER-272-8-Inch-Overall/dp/B007FUX56Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1389071308&sr=1-1&keywords=elk+ridge+axe
Surprisingly this axe came out of the box very sharp and very well made. It feels good in the hand and can be used for minor camping chopping for building fires. I plan to include it in my BOB. PLus it just looks cool and feels like it would make a good throwing axe. This is the SHARPEST of the three (3) blades I received this year.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cLGMMAGWL.jpg

CC Gunsmithing
01-06-2014, 8:10 PM
I like my little smith and wesson cutting horse, for a cheap folder, it does what it needs to do...
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-295745.html?src=gaw_mc&src1=kd&src2=gbase&utm_source=Google+AdWords+Merchant+Center&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=kd&gclid=CK_RzaCm67sCFcTm7Aod1iEAtw

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 8:15 PM
Yeah I was surprised how nice the S&W knives actually feel in the hand for the price. I just wish I could get it SHARP!

tommyboy619
01-06-2014, 8:28 PM
Angle,angle,angle. It's all about the blades angle. You need to first determine the angle of the blade from the factory. If you're satisfied with it as is, then when you sharpen you need to maintain that angle consistently. That's why so many kits come with sticks or stands that help maintain a constant angle. A trick I learned to help determine if you're sharpening at the right angle was to take a sharpie and color the blades edge. If you got the angle right, then black will come off or it will show how much or how little of the edge you're sharpening.

Regarding technique, sharpen in one direction starting from the base to the tip (this is where YouTube helps for visuals). I usually do 10 strokes per side, test on paper, and then repeat if necessary. Make sure to use some light oil on the stones.

Final thought, knife sharpening is part art, part science. YouTube is your friend and there are lots of different techniques. Enjoy your new hobby.

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 8:33 PM
Yeah I was watching a few youtube vids and they seem pretty straight forward but actually applying "the angle" is another story. I think Ive got the angle down but no matter what I do, I cant get the MTech knife to hold an edge.

Does that mean I would have to "re grind" or "re sand" (unsure of technical term) the entire edge of the blade to get a more straight or equal angle on both sides of the blade? It seems that blade came "crooked" from the factory. If you look at it down the blade, one side is at an angle and the other side is almost straight up.

Also, do you always sharpen with the blade on the stone, pushing the blade or can you just hold the blade and run the stone down the blade? You know what I mean?

Off the Roster
01-06-2014, 8:36 PM
get an old knife to practice with 1st (thrift store purchase if necessary). get the practice knife sharp then slowly dull it on the stone to learn angles - like driving a stickshift its all about finesse. with my kitchen knives the angle i use is akin to a book of matches which i actually duct taped on my "stunt" knife to get the right feel.

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 8:42 PM
Thats a good idea. I do have a ton of old kitchen knives that could use some sprucing up!

tommyboy619
01-06-2014, 8:49 PM
Yeah I was watching a few youtube vids and they seem pretty straight forward but actually applying "the angle" is another story. I think Ive got the angle down but no matter what I do, I cant get the MTech knife to hold an edge.

Does that mean I would have to "re grind" or "re sand" (unsure of technical term) the entire edge of the blade to get a more straight or equal angle on both sides of the blade? It seems that blade came "crooked" from the factory. If you look at it down the blade, one side is at an angle and the other side is almost straight up.

Also, do you always sharpen with the blade on the stone, pushing the blade or can you just hold the blade and run the stone down the blade? You know what I mean?

Reprofiling is the term you're looking for. From what you described, it's a good possibility with the Mtech. I have a big cheap knife similar to that one and I gave up on trying to get it as sharp as my Kershaws and Spyderco. It's probably made of cheap stainless, which can make it a b!$#h to hold an edge, never mind shotty bevel/angle from the factory.

As to push the knife vs. the stone, either will work. I prefer to push the knife as I have a better control of the pressure I'm applying and how much material I'm removing.

blazeaglory
01-06-2014, 9:14 PM
Reprofiling is the term you're looking for. From what you described, it's a good possibility with the Mtech. I have a big cheap knife similar to that one and I gave up on trying to get it as sharp as my Kershaws and Spyderco. It's probably made of cheap stainless, which can make it a b!$#h to hold an edge, never mind shotty bevel/angle from the factory.

As to push the knife vs. the stone, either will work. I prefer to push the knife as I have a better control of the pressure I'm applying and how much material I'm removing.

Its very pointy but the bevel is really out of wack. One side is perfect down most of the blade and then the angle increases the closer it gets to the hilt (or handle). The other side is almost vertical along some of the blade.

Are all knives edge "angle" equal on both sides? Or is there a "back bevel" on some knives where the edge is at more of an angle on one side (like a chisel)?

Blademan21
01-07-2014, 6:09 AM
Sounds like your Mtech might have a chisel grind.If it does you can only sharpen one side of the blade. The flat side just needs to meet the beveled edge at a flat angle. Stones are for folks that have had lots of experience with them. Keep practicing then get the Spyderco kit to quickly bring the edge back. Good luck

Dano3467
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Some knife's just don't seem to sharpen.

I picked up a Puma at Sportsman's warehouse on sale last year and that D**M thing will not get sharp. I been using Gatco sharpening system for years, and for all other blades it the best, but for some unknown reason the Puma will not get sharp !

So it would seem some steel is just no good...

Good luck buddy with your effort, hope you can make it useful...

covingtonhouse
01-20-2014, 6:39 PM
Probably the stainless in the mtech. Ive had a few stainless knives and they either lose the edge quickly or wont take an edge at all. As soon as I lose the rest of my crkt k.i.s.s. folders im going high carbon blades. That said, I have the Smiths tri hone system and I just ressurected my set of Henckels kitchen knives with it after some years of abuse by my wife. Great system. I use a combination of techniques depending on the blade profile. Mostly cut/push. Some circular push, and some grind on the edge to smooth out nicks or rough spots.
You should feel it when you are cutting into the stone properly. It will sound/feel very different then when its at the wrong angle. I always work the entire length of the blade no matter what technique though.