PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Top Loading Carbine

ACIDKOOL
02-19-2008, 3:39 PM
Hello I have a question. If I buy the Bushmaster Top Loading Carbine and let say later on I want to build OLL AR can i use the upper assembly on the Bushmaster Top Loading Carbine on my OLL?

THANK IN ADVANCE.
Fernando

Paratus et Vigilans
02-19-2008, 3:53 PM
Yep. Or you can just dremel out the magwell in the lower and install a BB or Prince50.

I have two Carbon 15 uppers, and neither of them is a very good fit on any of my Stag lowers. So, I keep 'em on their Carbon 15 lowers (one sealed, the other open w/a Prince50 maglock). Also, I'm not a fan of mixing the materials (carbon fiber upper and aluminum lower). You can do it, it will work, but IMHO it looks wrong, and as I said, the C-15 upper to Stag lower fit is just a bit off when you go to close the rear pin.

Other lowers may be a better fit, but none of my Stags, nor my one Centermass lower, is a good fit to either of my C-15 uppers.

YMMV

aplinker
02-19-2008, 10:48 PM
ACK! Don't buy it, PLEASE! There's no reason to do that. Save money and build a better rifle by following the newbie guide here.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2008, 5:37 AM
Please do not buy a Bushmaster top loader. You will regret it.

If you need more legality info, here is a good link for you.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

If you are convinced what everyone on here is doing is legal and you are comfortable owning these firearms, you will find that their quality is much higher, the materials are much more durable, and your options should the laws change or if you move to a free state are infinitely higher. Sealed mag wells are crap. Don't do it.

GenLee
02-20-2008, 6:46 AM

If you are convinced what everyone on here is doing is legal and you are comfortable owning these firearms, you will find that their quality is much higher, the materials are much more durable, and your options should the laws change or if you move to a free state are infinitely higher. Sealed mag wells are crap. Don't do it.

And the price versus quality, Is nothing more than gun shops taking advantage of what they misinterpret as a "Legal" AR. You can build a much better quality weapon from parts for the $1,200 you spend on the C-15. + toploading sux!

Example: $800.00 +/- including dros
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/GenLee08/myar.jpg

GenLee
02-20-2008, 6:52 AM

And the price versus quality, Is nothing more than gun shops taking advantage of what they misinterpret as a "Legal" AR. You can build a much better quality weapon from parts for the $1,200 you spend on the C-15.

MrLogan
02-20-2008, 7:48 AM
Don't do it, man! For the price, you can build a much higher quality OLL rifle.

tempdrummer
02-20-2008, 5:12 PM
+1 pass. Build your own. It'll be Cheaper (slightly) and better :D

Paratus et Vigilans
02-20-2008, 5:46 PM
Well, hey, if no one else is willing to do so, I'll stick up for the lowly Carbon 15 top loader! It was my first EBR, and yes, I bought it before I stumbled on OLL's, and no, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd discovered OLL's before I bought it. . . . but I'm still glad I own it. It's light, it shoots great, and it's going to be a collector's item one day! :D

I mainly use it as my "guest gun" for the righthanders I take with me to the range, but I like shooting it too, and make sure it doesn't get ignored, all by itself in the safe, snuggled up next to all those cold, aluminum, lefty Stags!

At one point, I bought an open magwell Carbon 15 lower from Wes with the intention of retiring the original sealed Carbon 15 lower - - then I wound up using the new lower to build a completely different, and very unique, all-Bushmaster Carbon-15 rifle, so the original top-loader lives on, and I have this cool, ultra-lightweight Carbon 15 with a Prince50 maglock (all my Stags are BB builds), a 16" 1/9 SS Fluted Bushmaster barrel with their Type 97 carbon fiber handguard, a YHM Y-comp on the end of it, a Vltor 5 position carbine buttstock, and a Trijicon ACOG optic (no irons on it). It weighs NOTHING, shoots great, and when it crosses into Nevada, the Prince50 gets unscrewed and it takes my 30 round full capacity mags that I keep over there. What's not to love about that! :D

Bottom line OP, build what you like - - you can (and will) always build more!

ACIDKOOL
02-20-2008, 6:15 PM
lol thanks everyone for the quick replies but this Friday I'm going to order my Stag Arms Stripped Lower :43: From Republic Gunworks. Also another question is the Pistol grip easily removable? like i want to have my AR built without the grip and when i get to the gun range I'll assemble my grip and when before I leave the range I remove the pistol grip so that I can be a little bit less worried about LEO's.

Thanks

Chunky_lover
02-20-2008, 7:52 PM
[QUOTE=Paratus et Vigilans;1014104]Well, hey, if no one else is willing to do so, I'll stick up for the lowly Carbon 15 top loader! It was my first EBR, and yes, I bought it before I stumbled on OLL's, and no, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd discovered OLL's before I bought it. . . . but I'm still glad I own it. It's light, it shoots great, and it's going to be a collector's item one day! :D

I too bought the car 15 top loader after local gun store said unless im law or military I cant own one. Its always after I buy something I do all my research on the topic, but at least I learn something. Next will be an oll. I really want to build a complete rifle from the ground up. On the car 15 I dremeled it out and did the bb. I have no complaints on it. In a perfect world I would of done my research first and bought an oll, but I always have that option in the future hopefully.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2008, 7:56 PM
lol thanks everyone for the quick replies but this Friday I'm going to order my Stag Arms Stripped Lower :43: From Republic Gunworks. Also another question is the Pistol grip easily removable? like i want to have my AR built without the grip and when i get to the gun range I'll assemble my grip and when before I leave the range I remove the pistol grip so that I can be a little bit less worried about LEO's.

Thanks

Be sure to also make sure you do not have a flash hider or a collapsible stock on the firearm as well, otherwise removing the pistol grip is pointless since there would still be other evil features on the firearm still.

Honestly, if a cop wants to take your AR15, seeing it without a pistol grip probably won't stop him. But hey, it is your time and you can spend it how you want.