PDA

View Full Version : Updated Ammo Question:

pgatour
02-19-2008, 2:29 PM
Hi,

Any suggestions for best ammo prices either online or in-store? I live in the Bay Area. Looking for 5.56 for an AR-15.

Since I'm new to this, also would appreciate any advice on which ammo (manufacturer) is ideal for recreational shooting (i.e. cost is big concern, but don't want cheap ammo that will cause long term damage). And is it true that I should stay with 5.56 instead of .223?

(Yes, I did a search.. but some of the links were a little outdated and prices might have changed) Thanks in advance for your advice!

xr7boost
02-19-2008, 3:37 PM
ammoman.com or surplusammo.com are both good resources.

5.56 can have a tendency to stress a .223 barrel, but .223 ammo will shoot fine in a 5.56 barrel. At least that's how I understand it....apparently it's just a difference in pressures.

aplinker
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
It's not just a stress issue, but a safety issue for 5.56 in a .223 barrel. 5.56 is higher pressure. Refrain from using in a gun marked .223 (though most modern manufacturers can handle the pressure).

Online is the way to go. this forum is helpful:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=318515

J_Rock
02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
For recreational shooting i'd stick with .223. There's no real advantage to shooting 5.56 unless you are shooting at people. If you really, absolutely have to have some 5.56 pressure ammo find some LC M855 or M193

pgatour
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, very useful knowledge. And the link is GREAT - exactly what I was looking for.

Now, when is comes to looking at 223 ammo for recreational shooting, is there anything I should avoid? or any specific grain (55?) I should get?

aplinker
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Cheap is all that matters for plinking. Weight won't matter for recreational shooting. If you get serious about precision, you'll need to add mass and money for match ammo.

pgatour
02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Cheap is all that matters for plinking. Weight won't matter for recreational shooting. If you get serious about precision, you'll need to add mass and money for match ammo.

'Plinking'...i'm guessing that means shooting at a paper target? I'm ok with 'cheap'.. but i've read that certain 'cheap' ammo may damage gun in long run so I don't want to put any bad ammo through my barrel. Can I make the assumption reputable ammo dealers (like the ones found on the link you provided earlier) won't sell 'bad' ammo??

I have many questions about ammo, do you know any good links for ammo education? i.e. is 55 grain ammo the lightest? Will that grain be accurate enough for targets 200 yards out? What is the difference between brass or steal casing? advantages/disadvantages of both?

Mac
02-20-2008, 3:59 PM
:popcorn:

pgatour
02-20-2008, 4:08 PM
...found the answer! To share with other noobies, this is a great, informative sight about ammo: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=208

and for those other noobies considering Wolf ammo because it seems to be the most economical option, I thought this was interesting: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm