PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening a partially serrated knife.

BigPimping
01-04-2014, 9:05 AM
I need to sharpen some knives that have partial serrations on the blade. Is there anything special I need to know and what would be the best thing to use in order to get this done right?

tommyfly
01-04-2014, 9:57 AM
tagged

Alpha Male
01-04-2014, 10:53 AM
grind of the serrations and smooth it out:43: that's what my dad did with my knives haha.

Blademan21
01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Buy the Spyderco sharpening system. With do any Spyderco with serrations,correction...will any knife with serrations. End of thread.

Sentenza
01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
+1 on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Use the corners of the fine stones to touch up the serrated portion.

usmcspud
01-04-2014, 1:15 PM
There are different grades of diamond hones made by DMT. They make long tapered types sorta like a rattail file that are perfect for this.

nosuchagency
01-04-2014, 1:54 PM
I recently read this from a member on another site, but haven't gotten around to trying yet. use a leather boot/shoe lace and essentially strop the serrations. they also made mention of the option of using polishing compound, or jeweler's rouge.

milotrain
01-04-2014, 5:16 PM
I like DMTs products but their diasharp system really moves a lot of metal. That's a great thing when using them to reshape, profile a blade, or take out big knicks but I've never found one to be very good at finishing work. Typically if I get a knife that is very dull, and not one I've sharpened before I'll start on a DMT Diasharp Extra Fine (which they list as a 1200 grit) then go directly to a 1000 grit water stone. The DMT DME8 will quickly set up a burr and remove metal, so it's great for unknown or rough knives, but I avoid it on anything that is halfway decent to begin with.

I grind serrations out of all but breadknives.