PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Problems

Ech0Sierra
02-18-2008, 5:52 PM
When I took my Beretta to the range, I tried to shoot it, but it kept doublefeeding, failing to eject, and stovepiping. At least I got to practice a hell of a lot of malfunction drills. Anyone know whats wrong? I pull the trigger. click...click....click... rack slide...IT WAS THE SAME CASING THAT I SHOT THREE CLICKS AGO. I'm cleaning it like crazy and the action feels fine to me...

aca72
02-18-2008, 5:58 PM
Ammo maybe?

Matt C
02-18-2008, 5:58 PM
Which model Beretta? (the obvious guess would be a 92FS, but it could be anything...)

ghideon
02-18-2008, 7:44 PM
Mag springs? Maybe time for some replacements?

grnt
02-18-2008, 8:24 PM
Ammo, magazines, or break in period? I see this issue alot on the range.

ibanezfoo
02-19-2008, 7:42 AM
How old is this weapon? I've had a 92FS for ~10 years and have put 1000's of rounds through it with one single stovepipe with range reloads. I baby it though like I do with all of my weapons. Is the recoil spring messed up or binding somehow? Is your extractor bent or its spring crusted up?

-Bryan

JTROKS
02-19-2008, 9:04 AM
Sounds like the extractor could be malfunctioning. It may have a rough or dirty chamber causing the spent case to get stuck in the chamber causing a double feed. It could be a broken ejector causing a double feed. Magazine may be out of spec causing the slide to slow down creating a heap of jams. Recoil spring may be too heavy for the round being shot. Ammo may be too light and short stroking the cycling process. Gun may just be too dirty/gritty to cycle with the ammo. Mechanical binding slowing the cycling. Shooter limp wrist causing the problem. Could be lots of reason for your Beretta to behave poorly. Do I sound like a Goodyear car center mechanic? :D

jtroks

Ech0Sierra
02-19-2008, 8:32 PM
1. Beretta 92fs
2. Beretta Factory and Mec-Gar mags
3. CCI Blazer

gunrun45
02-19-2008, 8:39 PM
Sounds like the mags to me.
Only feeding issues I have ever had with mine (same story as yours) was when I used bad mags. Are you sure they are the right caliber?
If you are using M96 (40S&W) mags with your M92 it will develope the same jams unless you are using a M92 follower.

Mec-Gar mags used to be junk in the berretta series. I threw away all of mine but that was about 8 years ago. Don't know how old your mags are.

I feed mine a steady diet of CCI blazers and never had the above issues. Extraction and feeding are usually more smooth due to the nature of the case as long as no bullet set back has developed from banging the rounds around in the shipping crate.

As a side note, have you ever replaced the recoil spring? How many rounds through this piece?

hntnnut
02-19-2008, 8:42 PM
Limp wristing??? I can force my 92 to jam every shot if I dont use a proper grip. also dry frame rails will cause the same thing.

Richard

Ech0Sierra
02-19-2008, 8:55 PM
I'll double check the mags, I don't know how many rounds through this gun (consignment), The finish doesn't have that much wear... now that you think about it, my 92 and 96 mags look similar... too similar...

gunrun45
02-19-2008, 9:16 PM
If you are lucky your mags are stamped on the body somewhere either as 9mm or 40S&W. Some have the stamp on the mag plate on the bottom of the gun... Needless to say these are to be avoided. I actually dremel the mag number (in my series or mags) and caliber on the front lower edge of the mag after I have tested it and deemed it OK to keep after buying any new mags.

Good locked grip stance, good mags, good recoil spring, even OK ammo and that gun should run all day with no problem.

Berretta says the M92 has a mean round count life of around 25,000 rounds. I've personally put 10,000 rounds of 40S&W and another 15,000 rounds of 9mm (with a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags) through my M96 with no issues that were not user or magazine induced. Just clean and feed IMO with boring reliability. I've had the frame, slide and barrel inspected by a gunsmith every 10,000 rounds or so as a CYA measure due to all the junk I've heard about frame cracks from +P+ subgun ammo.

The mods I did to my M96 stainless that I bought NIB in 1999?
harts recoil guide rod
Full ghost ring rear sight
Wilson mouse trap trigger upgrade

I've gone through about 5 recoil springs that I've changed out about every 5000 rounds or so just to be safe. I'm seriously considering an investment in a 357 sig barrel now just for S&G.

I'm sure you will work your kinks out and it will last you more than your life time.

ibanezfoo
02-19-2008, 9:34 PM
1. Beretta 92fs
2. Beretta Factory and Mec-Gar mags
3. CCI Blazer

I use all of the above without any issues. I even have a couple mec-gar mags that have never given me an issue, but they are double stack 10 rds. (bottom half solid plastic). Short of incorrect mags, I'd still check the recoil spring and extractor. Is the extractor push pin thing (heh, hows that for a technical term) on the left side of the breech area (while sighting down the weapon, slide open) bent or its little lip mangled?

-Bryan

Ech0Sierra
02-19-2008, 9:47 PM
If you are lucky your mags are stamped on the body somewhere either as 9mm or 40S&W. Some have the stamp on the mag plate on the bottom of the gun... Needless to say these are to be avoided. I actually dremel the mag number (in my series or mags) and caliber on the front lower edge of the mag after I have tested it and deemed it OK to keep after buying any new mags.

Good locked grip stance, good mags, good recoil spring, even OK ammo and that gun should run all day with no problem.

Berretta says the M92 has a mean round count life of around 25,000 rounds. I've personally put 10,000 rounds of 40S&W and another 15,000 rounds of 9mm (with a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags) through my M96 with no issues that were not user or magazine induced. Just clean and feed IMO with boring reliability. I've had the frame, slide and barrel inspected by a gunsmith every 10,000 rounds or so as a CYA measure due to all the junk I've heard about frame cracks from +P+ subgun ammo.

The mods I did to my M96 stainless that I bought NIB in 1999?
harts recoil guide rod
Full ghost ring rear sight
Wilson mouse trap trigger upgrade

I've gone through about 5 recoil springs that I've changed out about every 5000 rounds or so just to be safe. I'm seriously considering an investment in a 357 sig barrel now just for S&G.

I'm sure you will work your kinks out and it will last you more than your life time.
One of my mags is stamped Beretta 9MM on the body.

Sheldon
02-19-2008, 9:48 PM
I'm assuming the double feed is just a result of the fired case not being extracted/ejected. Your extractor would be the suspect part in my opinion. If the hook of the extractor broken possibly, or is there junk caught under the extractor?? A rough/dirty chamber might make the aluminum cases stick more than usual in the chamber of the wepon as well.

Suvorov
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Could be the blazers, maybe try another type of ammo especially brass cased. Also, sounds like you want to look at the extractor and take a pipe cleaner to it to make sure there is not a lot of build up under the extractor or make sure the extractor is not chipped. A bad or fouled up extractor (or the aluminum casings not extracting well) will be the reason for your double feeds.

Also, I agree with the comment on the limp wristing. In using and training soldiers to shoot the M9 the overwhelming majority of malfunctions I saw soldiers having on a regular basis (barring a bad mag or broken weapon) was due to not holding the pistol firmly. The M9 has a large grip and it is easy to have a loose grip on it. Still, this usually produces a short cycle or stove pipe and not double feeding. Double feeding is most likely an extractor problem.

Double check these things and see how it goes. If you do have a bad extractor, they really are not that hard to replace.

Despite what many internet commandos say, the M9 is a good weapon and should be giving you thousands of trouble free shots.

Nick5811
02-20-2008, 3:23 AM
I'd suggest lubing the hell out of it too.

In the Beretta armorer course I attended, they suggested 2 drops of oil on each of the 6 rails, one in the trigger spring, two on the hammer spring, one on the firing pin block, one inside each frame rail, two on the recoil spring/guide (one if polymer), one on the mid-rail of the slide, and one on the take down cam/pin.

I'd definitely pop out that extractor pin and clean that area out, as well as the firing pin channel. Make sure you re-stake it when you put it back in.

Good luck.

maxicon
02-20-2008, 9:38 AM
I'll second the lubing. My friend has a 92 compact that was jamming and hanging all the time, so I stripped it, oiled everything, and put a bit of Tetra Grease on the rails and other moving parts. It ran like a champ after that.

It was pretty dry before, so if yours has a decent lube job already, it probably won't help.

Ironchef
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Berretta says the M92 has a mean round count life of around 25,000 rounds.

Actually, the locking block is what's rated with a 25k round count if I'm not mistaken.

I've had some mag feeding issues with one of the original PB mags and I just filled it to 8 instead of 10 to reduce the tension and it fed those first rounds fine after that.

Maybe try underfilling your mags and try again? But first, make sure they're 9mm mags.

You haven't polished your feed ramp with a dremel have you? Or put in too light of a guide rod spring? Dave Olhasso sells replacement springs, and the ever popular D spring for your hammer spring replacement (drops the DA pull down 3 lbs).

Go to http://beretta92fs.com and look at the extractor removal video and take that thing off and clean up the gunk out of there and see if that helps too.

Sydwaiz
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
If it was a Beretta 8000 Cougar and you were using PMC ammo, I'd say you're limp wristing as my wifes gun has that problem with that ammo. But since you are not I'd listen to someone else! :p

Pred@tor
02-20-2008, 11:16 AM
The first time I shot my 92FS when I limp wristed it I got a couple failures to feed and I was using the Wallyworld Winchester value pack ammo. Since I lubed my pistol it has ran fine and reliable. I love the gun its for sure a keeper and mine is Italian made one too from the year 2000. The gun looked barely used so I got a good buy. I have one crappy mag but hopefully by the end of the week I will get a nice new mag. (I need a new mag spring base plate) I bought some +p+ ammo yesterday too Federal Classic 115 grain 9mm Luger Hi-Shock JHP it says for LEO use only. Apparently this box is from 1991 and I still see them on cheaper than dirt too.

InvictusManeo
02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
It's good to see people on here who actually respect this gun. I was thinking about picking one up, as the platform fits my hand better than any glove I've ever owned (I can't even LOOK at a glock without my wrist hurting), but I was a little nervous about the fact that nobody on here ever mentions them in the "what should I get" threads.

ps - :threadjacked: sorry.

gwl
02-20-2008, 1:41 PM
The Beretta 92FS was my first handgun (still have it) and I love it. Put it away for a few years but I'm starting to shoot with it again.

Suvorov
02-20-2008, 2:06 PM
It's good to see people on here who actually respect this gun. I was thinking about picking one up, as the platform fits my hand better than any glove I've ever owned (I can't even LOOK at a glock without my wrist hurting), but I was a little nervous about the fact that nobody on here ever mentions them in the "what should I get" threads.

As much as I hate to concede a point to the bradies, there is a certain amount of consumerism in the gun culture. Right now, plastic guns are all the rage with the latest HK, XD, and Glock getting every one's attention. It is all about the best, the newest, and the coolest. Just look at all the guys who have never spent a day of their lives in the military who build themselves the ultimate "Tactic Cool" ARs. The Beretta is an old pistol, is old news, and the only ones buying them these days are the die hard fans, or military guys wanting their own M9. This doesn't mean that they are bad guns (in fact I'd say they are as good as any other), it just means that they are not the latest fad.

Ironchef
02-20-2008, 2:24 PM
As much as I hate to concede a point to the bradies, there is a certain amount of consumerism in the gun culture. Right now, plastic guns are all the rage with the latest HK, XD, and Glock getting every one's attention. It is all about the best, the newest, and the coolest. Just look at all the guys who have never spent a day of their lives in the military who build themselves the ultimate "Tactic Cool" ARs. The Beretta is an old pistol, is old news, and the only ones buying them these days are the die hard fans, or military guys wanting their own M9. This doesn't mean that they are bad guns (in fact I'd say they are as good as any other), it just means that they are not the latest fad.

I don't get it. You're saying that only hardened military men buy 92s/m9s and that all of us non-military geeks are getting tupperware and being tacticool mall ninjas? I resemble that remark!

But seriously, I would have to disagree. First, it doesn't matter if you're military or not, people from both sides lust after 1911s and glocks equally from my limited exposure to this culture. Sure there's been a tupperware trend since Die Hard came out (which will likely never die but be the defacto standard before too long), but that doesn't mean all the noobs are doing tupperware. When the m9 is replaced by the M&P45 next week, then alla yous with your heavy, steel, pretty Italian guns will rejoice that it'll be "military-cool" to get a polymer pistol finally!

djacks
02-20-2008, 2:32 PM
Well it may be an old design... but I went and bought a new 92FS last week and think it's great. New 10 round factory mags are bit scarce to buy right now but Beretta are hoping to get more in at end of March.

ibanezfoo
02-20-2008, 2:42 PM

I know it sounds like blasphemy but I kind of feel about my 92FS like a lot of people feel about their 1911's. It always comes with me to the range no matter what else I bring... I've put I don't know how many 1000's of rounds through it, reliably... it fits my small hands perfect with Hogue grips (even though its actually bigger than my 1911)...I am accurate with it... holds 15 rounds.... and she loves me, I can tell. :) Haha if they would just fix the messed up laws I could marry it. hehe just kidding. :D I've pulled it apart several times and performed poor mans mods on it and she keeps on blasting away.

-Bryan

Suvorov
02-20-2008, 3:31 PM
I don't get it. You're saying that only hardened military men buy 92s/m9s and that all of us non-military geeks are getting tupperware and being tacticool mall ninjas? I resemble that remark!

But seriously, I would have to disagree. First, it doesn't matter if you're military or not, people from both sides lust after 1911s and glocks equally from my limited exposure to this culture. Sure there's been a tupperware trend since Die Hard came out (which will likely never die but be the defacto standard before too long), but that doesn't mean all the noobs are doing tupperware. When the m9 is replaced by the M&P45 next week, then alla yous with your heavy, steel, pretty Italian guns will rejoice that it'll be "military-cool" to get a polymer pistol finally!

Dude, all I'm saying is that the Beretta is not the flavor of the week like it was back in the late 80s when it was tacticool. Sure, normal people still buy them, but not at the level of HKs, XDs, and Glocks. And yes, lots of the military guys buy the HKs and Glocks too. I didn't say that military guys only buy M9s (a lot of them hate em). I'm just trying to say that just because the M92/M9 isn't the latest in tacticool, it is still a damn good piece of kit. Sorry I used strong words like "only." I think we are on the same side here no? :confused:

Ironchef
02-20-2008, 3:56 PM
Dude, all I'm saying is that the Beretta is not the flavor of the week like it was back in the late 80s when it was tacticool. Sure, normal people still buy them, but not at the level of HKs, XDs, and Glocks. And yes, lots of the military guys buy the HKs and Glocks too. I didn't say that military guys only buy M9s (a lot of them hate em). I'm just trying to say that just because the M92/M9 isn't the latest in tacticool, it is still a damn good piece of kit. Sorry I used strong words like "only." I think we are on the same side here no? :confused:

My apologies. Bad attempt at weaving humor in with my opinion.

I'm actually a fan of the 92fs. I recently parted with it (http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?p=268706#post268706), it's still the best looking gun, and I intend to have one again. No 1911 can look as good as a plain jane, black bruniton, accokeek/italy made 92fs.

1911whore
02-20-2008, 6:38 PM
Ok for the double feeds and stovepipes the only thing that comes to mind is actually two issues, number one if youve fired ALOT of rounds and have not swapped out the recoil spring that could be a biggie in the platform, secondly if youve left the mags loaded for a long period of time OR are using aftermarket high cap mags they are notorious for this. As for the light primer strikes no tyelling really unless i fire the pistol but my suspicion is the gun may have been either left cocked for long poeriods of time keeping the hammmer spring under pressure thus weakening the spring OR the spring was swapped or cut to achieve a lighter pull and went too far, possible overly dirty chamber but seeing that you didnt have that issue recurring i doubt it. I am more than happy to recieve a PM from you and try to analyze the issue. I was in the army for a long time am a triple certified military armorer and am a gunsmith on the side and am currently working on 2 patents for the beretta, the only other guy in the country with more knowledge of the Beretta are as follows, Dave Harrington, Dave Olhasso, and Ernest Langdon,

thomasanelson
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
When I took my Beretta to the range, I tried to shoot it, but it kept doublefeeding, failing to eject, and stovepiping. At least I got to practice a hell of a lot of malfunction drills. Anyone know whats wrong? I pull the trigger. click...click....click... rack slide...IT WAS THE SAME CASING THAT I SHOT THREE CLICKS AGO. I'm cleaning it like crazy and the action feels fine to me...

Yes, I know whats wrong.....its a Beretta. I have 5 and only 1 gives me no problems. My 92fs took a lot of rounds (1000-2000) before it would function well. Not perfect, just well.

swatpup102
02-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Hate to ask in someone else's post but I figure since it was current i'd give it a shot. I just bought a 92fs and realized the spring guide is now "plastic" instead of metal. what would happen if it were to break while shooting, and should it be changed to metal or just change it every thousand rounds or so? One other question is while i am also shooting the winchester wal-mart value pack, I am noticing while cleaning that there are little yellow specs on the inside of the gun. Is this just power residue or shell casing specs or what?

I love the gun so far and have shot it every day for a week at the local range. Best feeling, most accurate handgun for me so far, but then again I have been a fan since I was about 6 years old watching lethal weapon :-). Always wanted one so I took the leap, and I love everything about it so far.

Ech0Sierra
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Hate to ask in someone else's post but I figure since it was current i'd give it a shot. I just bought a 92fs and realized the spring guide is now "plastic" instead of metal. what would happen if it were to break while shooting, and should it be changed to metal or just change it every thousand rounds or so? One other question is while i am also shooting the winchester wal-mart value pack, I am noticing while cleaning that there are little yellow specs on the inside of the gun. Is this just power residue or shell casing specs or what?

I love the gun so far and have shot it every day for a week at the local range. Best feeling, most accurate handgun for me so far, but then again I have been a fan since I was about 6 years old watching lethal weapon :-). Always wanted one so I took the leap, and I love everything about it so far.
Just change it, recoil spring guides are cheap, or get a steel one. They make guide rod lasers. Also, I think the specks are part of the jacket on the WWB projectile. This is why you use barrel brushes.

ViPER395
02-23-2008, 1:05 PM

It will not break while you're shooting. It is a highly-tested product. I thought the same thing when I got my Beretta. I did some research.

The reason for the switch to polymer over steel was because the military complained that when the steel guide rod on their M9s got dirty in the sandbox, they would cause malfunctions and failure. A bent steel guide rod will render your M9/92 non-functional.

As for replacing the guide rod, go right ahead. You can get blued or SS ones on the net. As for replacing it regularly, it should be good for the life of the pistol IMHO, but you should check the recoil spring every thousand rounds or so. I haven't replaced mine, and don't really plan too, althought i'm looking into the firedragon recoil system.

Oh, and IIRC, if the recoil spring is less than 4" uncompressed you need a new one.