PDA

View Full Version : Got 2 OLL now what

tyrist
02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Well I just picked up (2) stripped lowers, because 2 is always better than one.

Now what do I need to turn one of them into an SPR. I am willing to shell out more than a few bucks.

Hopi
02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
-Got 2 OLL now what....go get another, variety is the spice of life
-Well I just picked up (2) stripped lowers, because 2 is always better than one. and 4 is better than 2...
-Now what do I need to turn one of them into an SPR. I am willing to shell out more than a few bucks. search the forum and picture threads for combos that you like and have fun!

Good start.....

adamsreeftank
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Time to go shopping.

Personally, I like CMMG.

tyrist
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I think I would like to get it as close to the M12 Mod 0 spr as I can. That is just one beautiful rifle.

GenLee
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I just put one together sat. and used a stag parts kit, pretty easy and they give you an extra detent pin for when you shoot one across the roon like I did:banghead:

aplinker
02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Where do you live?

MSTN sells pseudo Mod 0's

Contacting Randall is your much better choice. He can build it up with an tweakings you want.

I've gone back and forth on an SPR-type build. White Oak makes a nice SPR barrel. The real SPRs have unattainable (essentially) barrels. You'll need the PRI handguard and flip-up front sight, along with an OPS-inc muzzle brake.

That's about it, other than the basics (A3 upper, BCG, etc)

If I were to do it I'd use a VLTOR MUR (even though it's not USGI-spec'd) for the extra upper strength and an LMT enhanced BCG. If you're sinking money, might as well keep going.

On the lower, use an Armalite or Rock River LPK. You'll also want a better than stock trigger, too. The SPR Mod 0 uses a Knight's 2-stage, but those are expensive for what they are. Rock River, LMT or Jewell is probably a better choice for the money.

Stock - Magpul PRS is a nice one for a precision rifle.

After that you'll want a good variable to 10X optic, since you're building up an almost sniper. Why not toss on a US Optics SN3 1.8-10X ;)

Now, cut that $4,300 check and get ready to roll out your very nice SPR clone.

tyrist
02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
4300 dollar check is'nt so bad. Just don't tell my fiancee

aplinker
02-18-2008, 1:08 PM
Only if you let us shoot it. ;)

4300 dollar check is'nt so bad. Just don't tell my fiancee

mk3mitch
02-18-2008, 3:07 PM
www.tacticalcity.com

WilsonCQB
02-18-2008, 4:27 PM
Why not go with a MOD 1 build? You can buy complete uppers from MSTN as mentioned above, or from ADCO or JTAC. Or, just build them yourself. I went with the MOD 1 setups. Here are my SPRs. Both have Douglas Premium SPR profile 1/7 barrels, Geissele DMR triggers, KAC FF rails, Larue Stealth upper receivers, Noveske N4 lowers. Optics: Leupold MK4 MR/T 3-9x36 Ill. TMR, Leupold LR/T 6.5-20x50 Ill. TMR on Larue SPR mounts. You won't need to spent 4300+ to get the rifle you want unless you opt for a US Optics or S&B scope.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/fabglock/SPR_MK12_MOD%201/SPR_MK12Mod1_Web_4.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/fabglock/SPR_MK12_MOD%201/SPR_New_000_Web.jpg

GI-M1
02-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Nice set up Wilson! What would be the approx. cost to put your upper together??

TIA

aplinker
02-18-2008, 4:56 PM
Nice SPR builds there. I keep flip-flopping between mod 1 and mod 0 types... The only huge difference is the front sight and the FF handguard type + swan sleeve (which I forgot in my 1st post @ SPRs).

The Larue Stealth upper is a nice choice, too. The upper is the heart of the AR. A billet one is a good choice for a precision build.

I was really being facetious about the USO and $4,300.

Lots of people call ARs SPRs when they really aren't. That's ok with me. Build what you want or build the full clone, the choice is yours. In the end it's your rifle and you should be happy with it the way it is.

IMHO the OPS Inc brake is great and the 18" SS barrel with rifle gas is, too. Stick that on a billet upper with any FF rail and you've got a helluva rifle.

Have fun with your purchase. It's a big part of the fun -- grown up gun tinker toys.

www.tacticalcity.com

No offense, but Tactical City doesn't really have what he'd need.

WilsonCQB
02-18-2008, 5:05 PM
Nice set up Wilson! What would be the approx. cost to put your upper together??

TIA
Thanks.
Here's the upper cost breakdown:

CLE Douglas Premium SPR 1/7 Wylde Chamber $435
MK12 Mod1 Gas Block $80
KAC FF RAS $350
OPS INC Brake & Collar $180
LaRue Stealth M4 Billet Upper $250
Troy BUIS Set $250
Young N/M Bolt Carrier $140
LMT Bolt $60
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle $85
LaRue SPR 1.5 30mm Mount $195
Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 w/Ill.TMR $955 (the 3-9x36mm is no longer available)

Total: $2980

tyrist
02-18-2008, 6:32 PM
Wilson did you build that rifle yourself?

I would'nt mind a Mod1 either.

WilsonCQB
02-18-2008, 6:36 PM
Yes.

Omega13device
02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Jason at JTAC Supply can build you a very nice Mod0 upper at a reasonable price: http://www.jtacsupply.com/18ar15sprmk12mod0upperreceiver.aspx

aplinker
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Jason at JTAC Supply can build you a very nice Mod0 upper at a reasonable price: http://www.jtacsupply.com/18ar15sprmk12mod0upperreceiver.aspx

You'll need to add a couple hundred for the OPS-Inc brake and collar.

J_Rock
02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
about $180 to be exact

tyrist
02-22-2008, 9:07 AM
Does JTAC give you the option to get the OPS-Inc brake and collar instead of the A2 flash hider? Also all I would have to add is a LPK, 2 stage trigger, and fixed A2 stock and this thing would be ready to go right?

mecam
02-22-2008, 9:32 AM
I just put one together sat. and used a stag parts kit, pretty easy and they give you an extra detent pin for when you shoot one across the roon like I did:banghead:

I build my lower inside a big enough cardboard box when it comes to the detent pin. ;)

WilsonCQB
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Does JTAC give you the option to get the OPS-Inc brake and collar instead of the A2 flash hider? Also all I would have to add is a LPK, 2 stage trigger, and fixed A2 stock and this thing would be ready to go right?

JTAC doesn't offer that option. But you can purchase the OPS inc. brake and collar from ADCO and send it to JTAC for your build. It's at the bottom right of the page link below.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/productLine_.cfm?brand=OPS%20INC&product_category=Silencers

You may want to add optics + mount to complete your build.

tyrist
02-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Still trying to figure out what the JTAC offers over the ADCO upper. They are almost the same price.

WilsonCQB
02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Still trying to figure out what the JTAC offers over the ADCO upper. They are almost the same price.

ADCO builds with White Oak parts (all including upper receiver, bolt carrier group, and charging handle). JTAC builds with CMT parts, upper receiver, bolt carrier group, charging handle. The main difference in the two uppers is the muzzle device (+ $180) for the JTAC build. The ARMS Swan Sleeves they use may be different as well. Also, you may pay extra at JTAC for the KG coted barrel (+50).

I suggest you call both of them and discuss your custom build. I'm sure they will answer all your questions and more.

tyrist
02-23-2008, 4:17 PM
For some reason alot of vendors are sold out of RRA LPK and Buttstocks. I wanted to do one big order but it is becoming difficult.

hk-p2000
02-23-2008, 4:33 PM
why is it that all RRA related parts are sold out can't get nothing waiting for my RRA lower maybe a couple more months.

Wilson-cqb thats a very nice rifle hope when I make mine it comes out like that.

Jicko
02-23-2008, 4:46 PM
Thanks.
Here's the upper cost breakdown:

CLE Douglas Premium SPR 1/7 Wylde Chamber $435
MK12 Mod1 Gas Block $80
KAC FF RAS $350
OPS INC Brake & Collar $180
LaRue Stealth M4 Billet Upper $250
Troy BUIS Set $250
Young N/M Bolt Carrier $140
LMT Bolt $60
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle $85
LaRue SPR 1.5 30mm Mount $195
Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 w/Ill.TMR $955 (the 3-9x36mm is no longer available)

Total: $2980

Very very similar to what I have.

http://images31.fotki.com/v1096/photos/2/26966/4762546/IMG_4971-vi.jpg

http://images29.fotki.com/v1151/photos/2/26966/4762546/IMG_4984-vi.jpg

As seen in pic:
- Compass Lake Engineering Douglas Premium Air Guaged SS SPR Barrel 1/7 w/ Wylde Chamber
- MK12 Mod1 Gas Block
- KAC FF RAS
- OPS INC Brake & Collar
- WOA Upper, B/BC/CH
- WOA LPK (ie. RRA, i believed)
- KAC 2-stage trigger
- Tango Down pistol grip
- Badger tactical latch for the CH
- Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm M1
- Leupold lens covers
- ARMS #22 HIGH rings
- ARMS #22 TRC & ARMS #22 TRR
- ARMS #90 Bipod mount
- Harris BRM-S
- Magpul UBR

Still missing
- Troy BUIS Set
- Doctor sight on the ARMS #22 TRR

The MAJOR *practical* difference between Mod1 and Mod0 is the SWAN sleeve, allowing the optics to be mounted forward (with ARMS rings). The LaRue SPR mount solves that problem tho.

Jicko
02-23-2008, 4:54 PM
I think I would like to get it as close to the M12 Mod 0 spr as I can. That is just one beautiful rifle.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=Complete%20Upper s&subcategory=Rifle%20Uppers

Adco's Mk12Mod0 upper $1550

This is QUITE close to the real thing.

Just add a quality LPK, a KAC 2-stage trigger (or cheaper alternatives), a A2 stock, optics and ARMS #22 rings (maybe MEDIUM rather than HIGH for a Mod0, you would have to check).

tyrist
02-23-2008, 9:32 PM
Not to go off topic but for my other OLL I am about to purchase a Noveske N4 low pro upper, and a magpul ctr stock. Is this combination going to meet the 30" Over all length requirement.

I don't physically have them in hand so I am unsure.

aplinker
02-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, it will.

Going back to your SPR, Jicko forgot the handguard as part of the difference.

Tyrist - are you anywhere near Los Angeles? Randall (ar15barrels) can build you anything you want, custom, from any parts you choose -- probably for less than those custom uppers there. I would put Randall's builds up against anyone.

Not to go off topic but for my other OLL I am about to purchase a Noveske N4 low pro upper, and a magpul ctr stock. Is this combination going to meet the 30" Over all length requirement.

I don't physically have them in hand so I am unsure.

J_Rock
02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?product_category=Complete%20Upper s&subcategory=Rifle%20Uppers

Adco's Mk12Mod0 upper $1550

This is QUITE close to the real thing.

Just add a quality LPK, a KAC 2-stage trigger (or cheaper alternatives), a A2 stock, optics and ARMS #22 rings (maybe MEDIUM rather than HIGH for a Mod0, you would have to check).

Hows the Ops Inc brake working out for you? I'm contemplating putting one on my gun. How much does it help with recoil? Does it make the gun uncomfortable to shoot?

tyrist
02-24-2008, 7:16 AM
I am near los angeles and I sent randal a message but have received no response.

aplinker
02-24-2008, 7:25 AM
I am near los angeles and I sent randal a message but have received no response.

Give it a couple days. He's been building a demolition derby car for today.

Jicko
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Hows the Ops Inc brake working out for you? I'm contemplating putting one on my gun. How much does it help with recoil?

Depends.

OPS INC is nice, it is effective, but I think for almost $200, there may be other alternatives.

If you are like me or WilsonCQB, we went for the "look"... then, it is fine; the OPS INC is a great looking brake!! The MOST useful feature for this particular brake is to be able to use OPS INC 12th model suppressor/silencer, which we can't have here in CA.

JP got a VERY VERY effective one, virtually eliminate any muzzle flip, but then, I really can't stand that look. Do some searches, I think there are threads about effectiveness of many different muzzle devices.

Does it make the gun uncomfortable to shoot?

Anything would be better than nothing. It won't make your 18" upper shoot like a 24" SS Bull Heavy Barrel (even without ANY muzzle device, it got no flashes, no muzzle flip and no recoil..... except the sound, that almost shoot like you've got a suppressor on)

Jicko
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Going back to your SPR, Jicko forgot the handguard as part of the difference.

Between Mod 0 or Mod 1? Yeah there's the difference between Mod 0's carbon fiber PRI FF tube and the Mod 1's KAC FF RAS. The Mod 0's PRI tube is lighter.

YET, again, the *practical* difference is the SWAN sleeve single rail. Usage-wise, the tube doesn't make that big of a deal.

RobG
02-24-2008, 3:23 PM
WilsonCQB and/or Jicko, what are your barrel lengths?

Super nice rigs, BTW.

WilsonCQB
02-24-2008, 4:01 PM
18" barrel length.

brokestudent12
02-24-2008, 4:55 PM
I was wondering why the $500 price difference between the mod 0 and mod 1? They look almost the same?

tyrist
02-24-2008, 5:05 PM
Well I ordered a RRA 2 stage NM trigger and LPK. Got a Magpul Mil spec CTR stock and Mil spect buffer tube. I also order a prince 50 mag lock, C products 10 round mag, and Magpul enhanced trigger guard. Now I just need to decide which upper I suppose.

jandmtv
02-24-2008, 5:07 PM
Well I order a RRA 2 stage NM trigger and LPK. Got a Magpul Mil spec CTR stock and Mil spect buffer tube. I also order a prince 50 mag lock, C products 10 round mag, and Magpul enhanced trigger guard. Now I just need to decide which upper I suppose.

instead of the p50, get a bullet button.

tyrist
02-24-2008, 5:17 PM
I will get a bullet button for my other lower when I am finished building the current one. Are there any must have tools to contruct this thing?

WilsonCQB
02-24-2008, 5:25 PM
I will get a bullet button for my other lower when I am finished building the current one. Are there any must have tools to contruct this thing?

For the upper or lower?

tyrist
02-24-2008, 5:53 PM
Construct the lower, I will probably have the upper professionally built. Although I would like to contruct an upper as well at some point.

WilsonCQB
02-24-2008, 6:03 PM
The only tools you'll really need are some good punches and a small hammer.

J_Rock
02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Depends.

OPS INC is nice, it is effective, but I think for almost $200, there may be other alternatives.

If you are like me or WilsonCQB, we went for the "look"... then, it is fine; the OPS INC is a great looking brake!! The MOST useful feature for this particular brake is to be able to use OPS INC 12th model suppressor/silencer, which we can't have here in CA.

JP got a VERY VERY effective one, virtually eliminate any muzzle flip, but then, I really can't stand that look. Do some searches, I think there are threads about effectiveness of many different muzzle devices.

Anything would be better than nothing. It won't make your 18" upper shoot like a 24" SS Bull Heavy Barrel (even without ANY muzzle device, it got no flashes, no muzzle flip and no recoil..... except the sound, that almost shoot like you've got a suppressor on)

I meant does it make it significantly louder to the shooter to the people next to you when shooting it.

And yes I am considering for the looks, otherwise I'd just get a PWS brake. I think it would look great on my recce

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee52/j_rock001/CIMG0130.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee52/j_rock001/CIMG0129.jpg

Jicko
02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
WilsonCQB and/or Jicko, what are your barrel lengths?

Super nice rigs, BTW.

Both of us uses Douglas 18" SPR (those are used on real Mk12 SPRs)

Jicko
02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I was wondering why the $500 price difference between the mod 0 and mod 1? They look almost the same?

PRI FF tube
PRI gas block w/ front sight
SWAN Sleeve

These are the pricy items.

Jicko
02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I meant does it make it significantly louder to the shooter to the people next to you when shooting it.

And yes I am considering for the looks, otherwise I'd just get a PWS brake. I think it would look great on my recce

Good looking recce..... but I m not sure if the OPS INC SPR brake will fit. Cuz the SPR barrel profile may consist of features particular to the brake's alignment ring. http://www.ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml

You can certainly use the brake, but you may not be able to use the alignment ring, which in turn changed the look.

J_Rock
02-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah I have a med. contour barrel not the SPR profile. I would very much like to use the collar for it though.

J_Rock
02-25-2008, 12:35 AM
They have a bunch of different collars for it, just not sure which one my barrel needs

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Locating%20Collars.jpg

aplinker
02-25-2008, 12:40 AM
You NEED an AR spanner wrench for the stock. Are you building an SPR with a CTR stock? Most people opt for the PRS or an A2.

Other than that -- punches, leather hammer, pliers, tape.

WilsonCQB
02-25-2008, 6:31 AM
Yeah I have a med. contour barrel not the SPR profile. I would very much like to use the collar for it though.

To use the collar (#2 in the picture below) your barrel would have to have a locating shelf cut into the front profile of the barrel for correct fit and placement of the collar. Early Noveske SPR barrels did not have the correct location of the shelf and the 12th model silencers wouldn't fit correctly against the collar. He has since corrected this issue. I know you won't be using any silencers, but you'll still need the shelf for the collar to fit.

The #2 collar comes with the OPS Inc. Brake/Collar set. There is a different OPS brake that is 1-piece made of stainless steel (AR-15 barrels sells them). This brake works amazingly well. It just doesn't have the look that you are going for. Although you could have it Black Oxided.

tyrist
02-25-2008, 6:18 PM
Uclaplinker I am building two rifles pretty much. I will purchase an A2 fixed stock shortly as well. Right now I am focusing on getting two different lowers assembled and then I will try to get the upper sorted out.

I just hope I don't damage my lowers.

RECCE556
02-26-2008, 1:50 AM
Personally, I prefer the SPR with an adjustable stock (like the SOPMOD which was also used on real SPR's). I'm not a big fan of fixed stocks on AR's, they don't offer any benefits IMO.

Here's my build:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/recce556/SPRMK12MOD0-1.jpg

Diemaco (Colt Canada) M4 Upper
Colt M16 BCG
Douglas Premium SS Barrel (1:7, Custom Profile, M4 Ramps)
PRI Gen III Handguard
PRI Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block Crossbolt
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3
ARMS #40L-P BUIS
Ops, Inc. 12th Model Brake and Collar
Lower: Pre-Y2K RAW (Registered "Assault Weapon")
Optics: ARMS #22 Medium Rings, Leupold 3.5-10x40 Illum. TMR
Color: Duracoat Vltor Flat Dark Earth

Anyone who is interested in one of these uppers should contact Metroshot as they have four SPR upper builds coming in...three are MOD1's and one is a MOD0. They should have one of the MOD1's in the shop this weekend...

I was getting 1/2 MOA groups @ 100 yards using Hornady TAP Practice. I'm confident that with the hand loads I'm working up, the stick should shoot 3/8" MOA. Not bad for a non-bolt action. :D

GenLee
02-26-2008, 7:25 AM
I build my lower inside a big enough cardboard box when it comes to the detent pin. ;)

Great idea, The bill of my hat saved it twice, the third time wham, across the room, Thanks for the box idea will try that next time.:cool:

tyrist
02-26-2008, 5:10 PM
Recce556 that is an outstanding rifle. Now that I see a picture of it the sopmod stock would seem to be a good option.

aplinker
02-26-2008, 7:57 PM
That would look better on a Recce build. I've seen yours, they look good. You have good taste.

That's still a pretty SPR.

I like the PRS for an SPR. Let's be honest, most of us aren't hunting 2-legged creatures with ours, so the adjustments of a stock like that are nice.

Personally, I prefer the SPR with an adjustable stock (like the SOPMOD which was also used on real SPR's). I'm not a big fan of fixed stocks on AR's, they don't offer any benefits IMO.

Here's my build:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/recce556/SPRMK12MOD0-1.jpg

Diemaco (Colt Canada) M4 Upper
Colt M16 BCG
Douglas Premium SS Barrel (1:7, Custom Profile, M4 Ramps)
PRI Gen III Handguard
PRI Flip Up Front Sight Gas Block Crossbolt
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3
ARMS #40L-P BUIS
Ops, Inc. 12th Model Brake and Collar
Lower: Pre-Y2K RAW (Registered "Assault Weapon")
Optics: ARMS #22 Medium Rings, Leupold 3.5-10x40 Illum. TMR
Color: Duracoat Vltor Flat Dark Earth

Anyone who is interested in one of these uppers should contact Metroshot as they have four SPR upper builds coming in...three are MOD1's and one is a MOD0. They should have one of the MOD1's in the shop this weekend...

I was getting 1/2 MOA groups @ 100 yards using Hornady TAP Practice. I'm confident that with the hand loads I'm working up, the stick should shoot 3/8" MOA. Not bad for a non-bolt action. :D

RECCE556
02-26-2008, 8:49 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm glad you guys like it.

The reason why I prefer a collapsible stock is for transportability and LOP adjustment. With rock solid stock like the SOPMOD and E-MOD, a typical fixed stock doesn't offer any benefits IMO.

A stock like the PRS only come in handy if you need cheek rest or longer LOP adjustments which on a normal AR setup, aren't necessary IMO. If someone can give me opinions as to why a fixed A2 or PRS stock offers any advantage over a quality collapsible stock, I'm all ears. :)

aplinker
02-27-2008, 12:29 AM
A stock like the PRS only come in handy if you need cheek rest or longer LOP adjustments which on a normal AR setup, aren't necessary IMO. If someone can give me opinions as to why a fixed A2 or PRS stock offers any advantage over a quality collapsible stock, I'm all ears. :)

I like the PRS for those 2 reasons. I agree for most builds it's unnecessary. It does help with balance, too.

I also would use a fixed stock on a true bench/competition precision gun as you can add weight to improve accuracy.

As adjustable stocks improve the gap closes for the advantages.

It all depends on what you're trying to do. Fielded? I'd go with collapsible for flexibility, even if I still think it looks weird.

J_Rock
02-27-2008, 1:09 AM
I agree that a PRS just overkill and not worth it for the price tag. Plus with a vltor or crane stock you can just fill up the battery compartments for extra weight if you need to.

Jicko
02-27-2008, 2:25 AM
My vote is for Magpul UBR.... ;-)