PDA

View Full Version : Range Report

Apothus
02-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Well I went and picked up my CMMG upper on Friday and stuck it on my lower. Yesterday, drove out to Lytle Creek to put some rounds through my brand new, first AR :D I was pretty nervice cuz I built the lower half and I didn't know if it'd blow up or run smoothly.

Everything ended up running smoothly, and I was very happy. My back up iron sights worked really well, and my Aimpoint even better. The only thing that sucked on the day was while trying to take my Aimpoint off. The mount was really tight and when it finally came free, it fell off the rifle hit the bench and then hit the concrete 2 feet down. My stomach churned watching the 500 dollar scope/mount hitting the ground like that. I gave it a once over and it seems like the mount took the brunt of it with a dinged corner, but no marks can be seen on the optic itself.

I fired two more mags with the Aimpoint on to make sure it held it's zero and it was in the same place as it was before the fall. I know these things are supposed to take a beating and still run, but do you guys think I damaged the scope at all?

Oh ya, here are some pics of the complete gun

JBird33
02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Nice looking gun, I just finished building my first lower yesterday so I'm not far behind you :)

If the aimpoint held its zero, I really doubt you did anything other than cosmetic damage to it. I know I would be a little nervous in your shoes too though.

jacques
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I get nervous everytime I shoot a rifle for the first time. All kinds of things run through your head.......

Looks nice. When my Saiga was knocked over with the red dot I had on it, it was knocked way out of whack.

Mike-4
02-18-2008, 2:13 PM
Nice carbine. Can I ask what CMMG upper are you running? Where did you get it and how much.

regards,

Apothus
02-18-2008, 2:26 PM
It's the 14.5 inch barrel with 1.5 Phantom on the end. 1/7 twist. no upgrades. I got it from J&J Armory at the last Crossroads Gun Show at the OC Fairgrounds for 575

C.G.
02-18-2008, 9:52 PM
1/7 twist, I guess you are after the heavy bulleets.:)

Apothus
02-19-2008, 7:12 PM
Yup, shooting 60's and 63's right now, once I'm through these I'll get into some heavier ones. Any recomendations on some factory loads? I have a bunch of brass but no reloading equipment yet, so ya any help with heavier grain factory loads would be cool. Thanks