PDA

View Full Version : Dumb asp realization about flash suppressors...

gosparx
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know why this suddenly stuck me this evening, but I realized if you have a fixed magazine, the whole issue of... 'flash suppressor-flash hider' vs 'muzzle brake-compensator' becomes moot.

For some reason I was attributing some kind of 'super evil' classification to flash suppressors/hiders and thinking that they had to be avoided even if you had a fixed mag.

So, just to make sure that I've been a dumb-asp all along, and didn't just suddenly become one tonight... will someone please verify that if you have a fixed magazine on your rifle, it does not matter AT ALL what is or is not on the business end of the barrel?!??!!

zeekster
02-17-2008, 11:06 PM
:banghead:

taquito971
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
So, just to make sure that I've been a dumb-asp all along, and didn't just suddenly become one tonight... will someone please verify that if you have a fixed magazine on your rifle, it does not matter AT ALL what is or is not on the business end of the barrel?!??!!
It certainly does matter what is on the end of your barrel. But if you have a fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less it would not matter if it were a flash hider or a muzzle brake.

Brian

Josh3239
02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Click the link in my sig.

gosparx
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
:banghead:

yeah.... that's me... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

and thank you... :90:

I think the reason I fixated on flash-hiders was because back when they first were banned I didn't yet own any guns of my own.

Although even at the time I thought banning hi-cap mags and pistol grips was stupid, I could at least imagine how someone could view them as somehow menacing... but I never understood the flash-hider thing. That, above all other things seemed such a truly asinine thing to be worrying about.

So, years later, once I learned it was possible to own an AR (even in the PRK) if you were willing to live with certain restrictions... I came down with a horrible case of Black Gun Disease but still retained a twisted fear of flash-hiders.

But I'm all better now. (and am going to order this very minute a proper three prong flash hider for my A1 style AR!!)

gosparx
02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Click the link in my sig.

Oh, I am actually quite familiar with the all the little rules we have to follow... but for some reason, the flash-suppressor held a special little place in my brain.

hoffmang
02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
You are correct that you were wrong...

However, I've decided to have no flash hiders so I can interchange my uppers between my fixed mag lowers and my MMG/U15 lowers without mental effort.

-Gene

oaklander
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Also - stay away TOTALLY from anything that looks like a suppressor, even if it is fake. The problem with fake suppressors is that if they reduce sound even by ONE decibel, they are considered "real" suppressors by the ATF.

aplinker
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Also - stay away TOTALLY from anything that looks like a suppressor, even if it is fake. The problem with fake suppressors is that if they reduce sound even by ONE decibel, they are considered "real" suppressors by the ATF.

Most fake suppressors are inverted (i.e., their length is around barrel and add nothing beyond the barrel) and wouldn't cause an issue. I could see how one that extends out the muzzle side could conceivably cause an issue, though.

Army
02-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Most fake suppressors are inverted (i.e., their length is around barrel and add nothing beyond the barrel) and wouldn't cause an issue. I could see how one that extends out the muzzle side could conceivably cause an issue, though.
He speaks of suppressors, as in "silencer" (which they are not BTW). ATF long ago determined that any reduction in the sound pressure, made such a device a taxable item.

toolman9000
02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
You are correct that you were wrong...

However, I've decided to have no flash hiders so I can interchange my uppers between my fixed mag lowers and my MMG/U15 lowers without mental effort.

-Gene

+1

I have done the same thing, I do have one forward grip on a upper that is currently attached to a fixed mag build - but I can take that off in less than a minute if I want to put it on a gripless lower.

aplinker
02-18-2008, 1:33 PM
I understood what he was referring to. A fake "silencer" that only wraps around the barrel would be incapable of doing anything to the report.

He speaks of suppressors, as in "silencer" (which they are not BTW). ATF long ago determined that any reduction in the sound pressure, made such a device a taxable item.