PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Parts Kits

MB260E
02-17-2008, 4:29 PM
Hello,

Just curious if there are any noticeable differences between DPMS, Stag and CMMG parts kits? Are there any preferences such as CMMG which have coated lowers.

Sorry if this is a noob question, didn't see anything definite in the search. Thanks!

-Nathan

FEDUPWBS
02-17-2008, 4:46 PM
Price,

NeoWeird
02-17-2008, 4:57 PM
Some people like the idea of having as close to mispec as possible. I know Stag and CMMG have both had, and most likely still have, military contracts for M16 and M4 rifles. I am not sure about DPMS, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

For the most part, in regards to ALL ARs, it comes down to tolerances and finish. With the three you listed above, the tie breaker will most likely be customer service. From what I have heard CMMG has nothing but great customer service. Stag has great customer service but has had a few bad marks here or there - might not be their fault. DPMS, from what I have heard, tends ot have mediocre service. I personally try to stay away from DPMS just because I've never liked the company.

If it were me, it would be a coin toss between Stag and CMMG, with Stag getting my deal if I wanted something cookie cutter and CMMG getting my deal if I wanted something a bit more special.

SemiAutoSam
02-17-2008, 5:04 PM
Bout a year ago or so I bought about 30 lowers.

I also bought LPK's for those lowers.

The DPMS LPK'S had problems when I attempted to pull out the take down pins.

I did not have this problem with the CMMG LPK'S.

CGN Member AlohaRover sells the Cmmg LPK'S.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=84476

MB260E
02-17-2008, 5:11 PM
Great Thanks!

I was just concerned since I remember a thread or an article that described what you just said Sam. I will stick to the other two.

Turbinator
02-17-2008, 5:24 PM
I read a lot of negative about DPMS parts kits, but have purchased 6 so far and have not had any issues with parts fitting. For what it's worth.

Turby

gosparx
02-17-2008, 5:30 PM
Does anyone sell a LPK minus the trigger and grip??

I have yet to finish a lower with a kit that didn't have a pretty crappy trigger (7-8lb trigger pull) so I have invariably ended up putting a new trigger in at some point... so now I have a growing collection of unused 'part kit' triggers.

Same goes for the grip. I have a whole box full of A2 grips... I really don't need any more... or does having a whole box of them make me exceptionally evil??? :43::43::43:

ohsmily
02-17-2008, 5:49 PM
The trigger guard roll pin was VERY tight on the DPMS parts kits I have used. Other than that, they are fine.

MB260E
02-17-2008, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the responses.

One more thing, are there such things as "generic" AR parts kits? I was just browsing gun broker and a lot came up as "Standard AR 15 LPK."

jandmtv
02-17-2008, 5:58 PM
Ive had better luck with DPMS parts kits than Stag. But i have not tried CMMG.

DedEye
02-17-2008, 7:49 PM
Does anyone sell a LPK minus the trigger and grip??

I have yet to finish a lower with a kit that didn't have a pretty crappy trigger (7-8lb trigger pull) so I have invariably ended up putting a new trigger in at some point... so now I have a growing collection of unused 'part kit' triggers.

Same goes for the grip. I have a whole box full of A2 grips... I really don't need any more... or does having a whole box of them make me exceptionally evil??? :43::43::43:

riflegear.com does. I bought my CMMG LPK from Dave for a great price because I already had a Timney trigger :D and a MMG.

shark92651
02-17-2008, 9:18 PM
I underestimated demand for individual lower parts and have run out of a lot of individual pieces. I have more on order but it may be a week or two before I get caught up and can start to fill orders for those again.

FlyingPen
02-17-2008, 9:35 PM
At the gunshow, I got a chance to compare the Stag/CMG kit to the CMMG.

To my completely untrained eyes, the CMT version looked better finished and had cleaner edges. It looked more premium, which was funny because I expected the opposite.