PDA

View Full Version : Do you baby your rifle?

frigginchi
02-17-2008, 3:55 PM
I'm pretty hard on my rifles. All of them look like they've seen combat.

11Z50
02-17-2008, 3:59 PM
Depends on the rifle. Some get abused, others don't.

30Cal
02-17-2008, 4:11 PM
I'm careful with anything that costs more than $20.

Teletiger7
02-17-2008, 4:12 PM
I try to take care of my rifles. I spent my hard earned cash on it so I try to have it last as long as possible.

Calhunter380
02-17-2008, 4:12 PM
Most of mine are treated gently and kept clean. But my waterfowling shotgun, still covered in mud :hide:

mk3mitch
02-17-2008, 4:15 PM
Cleaned all the time, but always out in the woods getting really dirty, why buy it if your not going to REALLY get your moneys worth?

kap
02-17-2008, 4:28 PM
I think the "Yep" and "No" on the choices are reversed.

I treat everything with consideration including my rifle. Why bang them around if I don't have to?

JHC
02-17-2008, 4:33 PM
Where's the option for "I treat them like dirty who-as"?

NeoWeird
02-17-2008, 5:00 PM
define "baby". I jam metal and hazardous chemicals into them and the proceed to blow apart their insides, have searing hot gas sprayed at their insides, bang, slam, and tug on them and generally do the most violent actions possible to and with them.

I'd imagine gingerly touching them and wipping of the dirties is the least of their concerns.

MustangO4
02-17-2008, 5:02 PM
I keep 'em clean and functional, but I like chipped paint, scratches and the "heavily used" look. I treat them like an issue rifle. I don't care about pretty, but I better be able to stake my life on it.

Mize
02-17-2008, 5:30 PM
I try to take good care of them, but I don't cry if I get a scratch. You can tell which rifles have gone into the woods and which ones only go to the range.

M. Sage
02-17-2008, 5:40 PM
I take care of them... I maintain them and I don't pointlessly abuse them. But some of my guns are going to get used. It's a tool. I don't use $500 Snap-on timing light as a hammer, but if it gets dirty or scratched, I'm not going to act surprised. It's a tool that designed for use in a sometimes harsh environment. Ditto with my guns.

Well, some of mine have.

cobra198
02-17-2008, 5:43 PM
I think the "Yep" and "No" on the choices are reversed.

I treat everything with consideration including my rifle. Why bang them around if I don't have to?

I aggree with all 3 of ur statements!

Turbinator
02-17-2008, 5:46 PM
I defintely baby my stuff. Things get used but not abused. There's a difference, in my opinion. Part of my hobby enjoyment is in the pride of ownership, and part of the pride of ownership is taking care of your stuff so that it's always in presentable condition at any given moment. I cringe when I see other people not taking care of their guns but that's really up to them.

Turby

jandmtv
02-17-2008, 5:50 PM
if cleaning and taking care of your investment is considered babying, then yes i baby my rifles.

Ech0Sierra
02-17-2008, 6:02 PM
Kel-Tec: scratch
Romy:scratches McDing
AR:baby
Weatherby:baby
Beretta:baby
Glock:scratch
1911:baby
AR15: baby
Sig:baby
SKS:scratch
Mosin-nagant: more metal than wood with 20% finish left

JagerTroop
02-17-2008, 6:05 PM
if cleaning and taking care of your investment is considered babying, then yes i baby my rifles.

And

I defintely baby my stuff. Things get used but not abused. There's a difference, in my opinion. Part of my hobby enjoyment is in the pride of ownership, and part of the pride of ownership is taking care of your stuff so that it's always in presentable condition at any given moment. I cringe when I see other people not taking care of their guns but that's really up to them.Turby

:iagree:

Why? Unless they've actually seen combat, there's no real reason they should look that way. I mean, how beat up would they get going from riflecase to shooting table or tailgate? Is there some sort of "right of passage" that my rifle must endure, that I'm not aware of? I have every intention of my guns outliving me, and it wouldn't hurt to have them look good in the mean time :)

ivanimal
02-17-2008, 6:59 PM
All of my rifles look pretty good for the purpose they are intended. If I scratch my 300 Win or my 45-70 while hunting I don't cry. I had a large scratch on my buttstock of one of my mini 14's so I painted the whole stock camo after I bondo-ed the scratch. It is important that they look nice but more important that they function right and are used correctly. I have seen people abuse their rifles needlessly or accidentally. More often than not people that hunt take care of their rifles.

DedEye
02-17-2008, 7:40 PM
I don't take it to an extreme, but I try and treat them well.

Linh
02-17-2008, 8:05 PM
I'm careful with anything that costs more than $20.

No offense but that was funny.

My upper alone will be > $1k so yes I will treat my baby well.

tombinghamthegreat
02-17-2008, 8:09 PM
My 30-06 and shotgun i am careful with but i tend to be a little unforgiving with my Mosin Nagant from time to time. But that rifle is cheap and can take alot of abuse.

aplinker
02-17-2008, 9:44 PM
I treat them like a good woman...

I'll get down, dirty and rough, but you gotta pamper them when finished. They like it that way.

532Fastback
02-17-2008, 9:51 PM
I'll baby mine when its done and my next rifle i will baby too

draconianruler
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Depends on the rifle. Overall, I take care of them pretty good though (clean after every trip).

iridesportbikes
02-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Im careless with my Vulcan lower and garrison 9mm upper.

Stavros
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Im not sure what you would call 6000rds and general use and cleaning though a SS barrel, but I can start to notice my groups not being as consistent, and there are quite a few "silver spots" on my black rifle. I voted banged up because thats all she did for me. Hell I put her away dirty after last firing and haven't bothered cleaning in 48 hrs.

Bugei
02-19-2008, 9:56 AM
I frequently detonate explosives inside mine. They seem to like that. :)

But I clean them before they go back in the safe.