PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 + AICS 1.5 build opinions...

Greenspartan117
02-17-2008, 3:36 PM
I need your opinion on a build that my brother and I will be doing this summer. We want to build a tactical rifle in .308 and have this setup in mind:

Remington 700 SPS varmint .308 Left hand
AICS 1.5 for the adjustable butt pad and cheek piece
with a U.S. Optics SN3 1.8x-10x scope

now finding a Remington 700 SPS varmint in .308 left hand seems kinda difficult right now according to online shops, but the other two options seem more readily available. Any one have any additional suggestions? I have looked into custom 700 based actions but they seem pricey... Yes I did use the search function :-) And suggestion on where else to pick up a AICS 1.5 stock beside tac pro? Thank you for you input as always!

Greenspartan

rksimple
02-17-2008, 3:47 PM
The AICS's are right hand only...for now. They said in a year or two they'd have left hand AICS available.

If you want to do some modifications to make the RH work, you can get them from snipercountrypx, bauer arms, blanks guns, and many more.

On the scope selection, I'd opt for the 3.2-17 or the 3.8-22 with the mil EREK knob and GAP reticle.

Cypriss32
02-17-2008, 3:51 PM
They do Left hand conversions on them now. Look around on www.Snipershide.com
Way better precision/ Tac rifle sight then Calguns.net

rksimple
02-17-2008, 4:02 PM
They do Left hand conversions on them now. Look around on www.Snipershide.com
Way better precision/ Tac rifle sight then Calguns.net

There are a couple smiths that frequent over there that will do the conversion. AI is finally listening to what people want and implementing changes. Left hand AICS, 10 round mags for the AE, better supply, etc.

Prc329
02-17-2008, 4:44 PM
I need your opinion on a build that my brother and I will be doing this summer. We want to build a tactical rifle in .308 and have this setup in mind:

Remington 700 SPS varmint .308 Left hand
AICS 1.5 for the adjustable butt pad and cheek piece
with a U.S. Optics SN3 1.8x-10x scope

now finding a Remington 700 SPS varmint in .308 left hand seems kinda difficult right now according to online shops, but the other two options seem more readily available. Any one have any additional suggestions? I have looked into custom 700 based actions but they seem pricey... Yes I did use the search function :-) And suggestion on where else to pick up a AICS 1.5 stock beside tac pro? Thank you for you input as always!

Greenspartan

I believe the lefties were just released. I also read somewhere (I'll look for the link) that the AICS will also start coming in a left handed configuration.

Prc329
02-17-2008, 4:45 PM
The AICS's are right hand only...for now. They said in a year or two they'd have left hand AICS available.

If you want to do some modifications to make the RH work, you can get them from snipercountrypx, bauer arms, blanks guns, and many more.

On the scope selection, I'd opt for the 3.2-17 or the 3.8-22 with the mil EREK knob and GAP reticle.

What he said. I would also look at IOR if the USO money starts feeling a little to much or you can't wait for it.

djcrapilicious
02-17-2008, 6:38 PM
Orders are being accepted later in March for the left hand long action while the short action orders begin sometime in June. I've been joining forums everywhere trying to find a left hand aics. This is where I got the info: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467085

Oh and Big Sky Guns are accepting orders for the Remington 700 SPS Varmint.

aplinker
02-17-2008, 8:17 PM

+1 again on this (did we just say the same thing to someone else recently?)

You'll want more magnification for a precision rifle. You'll rarely (if ever) need it for less than 100yds and, if you think you do, just add a red-dot. 4X works great at 100yds. The FFP makes all ranges work with the milling reticle. I'd also push you toward making the knobs match the marks (mil-mil), as suggested. It will save you calculation time.

If I were building up an SPR that 1.8-10 would be my choice, but if you're shooting out past 600 frequently, you'll want to be able to see it clearly.

Greenspartan117
02-17-2008, 8:24 PM
Sweet thanks for the info guys. I registered on Snipers Hide and will look out for the AICS 1.5 in left hand in June. Now does anyone know how long it takes for U.S. Optics to finish there scopes? now to find a Remington 700 sps varmint left hand in .308...

rksimple
02-17-2008, 8:26 PM
Sweet thanks for the info guys. I registered on Snipers Hide and will look out for the AICS 1.5 in left hand in June. Now does anyone know how long it takes for U.S. Optics to finish there scopes? now to find a Remington 700 sps varmint left hand in .308...

Before SHOT, the lead time on a USO was 4-6 weeks. This past summer it was 12+ weeks.