PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Rifles/Parts into CA

Lower86
02-17-2008, 1:52 PM
Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile, I finally had to register and ask for advice.
I am a CA resident on active military duty stationed in Texas. By TX law, I am exempt from the requirement to be a resident to purchase firearms here. I'm trying to find where this can be beneficial to me.
Is it possible for a person in this situation to purchase an "evil" rifle out of state, render it CA compliant (i.e. fixed 10 rd magazine) and then bring it into CA? If so, could the compliant weapon be transported by the owner or would it need to be shipped to an FFL in CA for registration first?
My other wonder is what is the limit of parts that I could via mail or personal transportation, bring into the state of CA (i.e. an AR minus a Lower reciever, etc) that could be assembled in CA?
Thanks

DesertGunner
02-17-2008, 2:05 PM
Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile, I finally had to register and ask for advice.
I am a CA resident on active military duty stationed in Texas. By TX law, I am exempt from the requirement to be a resident to purchase firearms here. I'm trying to find where this can be beneficial to me.
Is it possible for a person in this situation to purchase an "evil" rifle out of state, render it CA compliant (i.e. fixed 10 rd magazine) and then bring it into CA? If so, could the compliant weapon be transported by the owner or would it need to be shipped to an FFL in CA for registration first?
My other wonder is what is the limit of parts that I could via mail or personal transportation, bring into the state of CA (i.e. an AR minus a Lower reciever, etc) that could be assembled in CA?
Thanks

As far as bringing in the rifle w/ fixed mag, just make sure it is not listed by make and model on the Kasler list (see the sticky at the top of the forum). There is no limit on parts, etc. except for hi cap (>10 rounds) mags, which you, as a new resident, cannot legally bring into the state. An AR upper is not a firearm. Provided it isn't an SBR (<16" bbl.), you can bring them in all day.

Lower86
02-17-2008, 2:57 PM
Thank you. What about the process of moving a weapon from here to CA and registration?

Hunter
02-17-2008, 4:27 PM
Thank you. What about the process of moving a weapon from here to CA and registration?

If one can legally buy a firearm out of CA, they can legally bring it into CA when they return if it is CA compliant.

So you are good to go in bringing them back with you. No need for a FFL on this end. This also applies to handguns, but you would need to send in the DOJ registration form with $19, once they are brought into CA. Still no FFL is needed and you can bring in off roster handguns as well.

As for your question on parts, the only limit on those is how much money you have!