PDA

View Full Version : Bullet button or MM grip

railroader
02-16-2008, 9:03 PM
I finally am going to get around to building an off list ar. I'm up in air if I want to go with the bullet button or the MM grip. If I go with the BB and I change my mind I'm I going to be able to remove it without jacking up the receiver. I already have pre ban mags so that's why I'm also thinking about the MM grip. So has anybody taken out a BB. Mark

Prowler
02-16-2008, 9:36 PM
I started with a Prince50, went to the BB, and ended up with the MMG. BB is easy to remove, but save yourself some time/money and just start off with the MMG or U15

aplinker
02-16-2008, 9:40 PM
Get the newest version of the BB and it will be a piece of cake. It's a drop-in version that requires no filing. 10% Firearms has them.

The BB vs. MMG is really a personal choice and depends upon the use of the firearm. Fun range toy? That's what a BB is for. Real world use? Get a MMG or U-15.

You'll probably want one of each.

Remember, with the MMG and U-15 you can't have any other evil features (flash hider, collapsible stock, etc).

FlyingPen
02-16-2008, 9:41 PM
BB 1 requires filing?

ghost
02-16-2008, 9:52 PM
BB 1 requires filing?

yes on the outer sleeve,then you just tap it in with a mallet.should be a sung fit,dont file too much or it`ll be loose in your receiver.

aplinker
02-16-2008, 9:58 PM
yes on the outer sleeve,then you just tap it in with a mallet.should be a sung fit,dont file too much or it`ll be loose in your receiver.

There's nothing wrong with it being loose. That was a precaution from back in the day. The newest version is drop-in.

Nikola
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I vote MMG/muzzle brake/fixed stock/etc without reservation. It feels surprisingly good (especially if you're not already used to the pistol grip), and you'll be able to use your preban magazines.

I've never tried a BB, but the idea of using a tool to drop mags, however convenient, just doesn't sit well with me. I might try it on my second build sometime in the future, though.

FlyingPen
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Well looks like I'll not only be exchanging that LMT upper but also exchanging my BB1 for a BB2.

aplinker
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Keep in mind the BB2 is also shorter than the BB1.

tenpercentfirearms
02-17-2008, 5:46 AM
I now have nothing but he new BB I that drops in and requires no hammering.

My first question in response to this question is do you have any large capacity magazines that you purchased before 2000? If you do, you might want to go with a MMG build as featureless is the only way you can lawfully use those magazines in the State of California.

If you do not have any large capacity magazines, then I might recommend you start with a BB I build since you are going to be limited to ten rounds anyway, why not retain the evil features (which become good-hearted once you have a fixed magazine)?

In the end, you should have a receiver with both set ups. That really is the only way.

Horus408
02-17-2008, 6:05 AM
I went with MMG knowing I can change to pistol grip very quickly as needed.

railroader
02-17-2008, 6:20 AM
I already have pre 2000 20 and 30 round mags for my keltec su 16, and I have a couple of 10 rounders too. I guess my main problem is I really haven't been around ar type rifles so I'm not familiar with them at all and I'm looking for something that is easily reversible. So how exactly is the bullet button held in? Is it friction fit, thats why people tap them in snug? Sorry for all the questions but I like to dwell on things:D. Mark

apbrian112
02-17-2008, 9:33 AM
if you already have hi-caps. i'd say MMG all the way!

sloguy
02-17-2008, 9:50 AM
I already have pre 2000 20 and 30 round mags for my keltec su 16, and I have a couple of 10 rounders too. I guess my main problem is I really haven't been around ar type rifles so I'm not familiar with them at all and I'm looking for something that is easily reversible. So how exactly is the bullet button held in? Is it friction fit, thats why people tap them in snug? Sorry for all the questions but I like to dwell on things:D. Mark

i do not have a bb "yet" but when funds permit i plan to get one. so this is only what ive heard and not personal experiance, so keep im mind that i may be wrong.

the first bb had to be filed to fit snug for ensuring it cant be removed easily. that was back when there was a question about what fixed mag meant and questions about how permanent the alteration must be. now that we have progressed and cleared up things we know that having a drop in part that is able to be removed is fine. so now the new bb works without having to be hammered in and it can be removed with a tool.

aplinker
02-17-2008, 12:33 PM
***All these pics are stolen from Wes' website. There's lots of info there***

This is the bullet button frame (Versions 1 and 2, note the "edge" on 1 that you should file down until it drops in):
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/BBvBB.jpg

This is how the BB looks installed:

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/images/bullbutt1.jpg

The bullet button frame drops in. Then you install the mag catch for the AR (standard part). You put a spring around the catch inside the BB frame. Lastly, you tighten the center nut that screws onto the mag catch (inside the BB frame).

In the end, you have hi-caps. You should get a MMG or U-15. ;)

DedEye
02-17-2008, 7:52 PM
Both! :D

Solidmch
02-18-2008, 5:14 AM
I started with a Prince50, went to the BB, and ended up with the MMG. BB is easy to remove, but save yourself some time/money and just start off with the MMG or U15

I went throught the same process, at the begining of the oll thing. I ended up with U-15 am MM grip on all my builds.

tenpercentfirearms
02-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Update, I now have nothing but Bullet Button Is that do not require hammering and are simply drop in.

aplinker
02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Update, I now have nothing but Bullet Button Is that do not require hammering and are simply drop in.

Shouldn't those be called BB II's and the shorter version BB III's? ;)

shark92651
02-18-2008, 1:31 PM
...so keep im mind that i may be wrong.

the first bb had to be filed to fit snug for ensuring it cant be removed easily. that was back when there was a question about what fixed mag meant and questions about how permanent the alteration must be. now that we have progressed and cleared up things we know that having a drop in part that is able to be removed is fine. so now the new bb works without having to be hammered in and it can be removed with a tool.

Yeah, that's not quite right, but close ;) The little flares on the bottom of the BB were not added so that the modification was permanent and the new version that is drop-in also has nothing to do with permenance. The flares on the original were to prevent someone from pulling it out, against the spring pressure, and then canting it and pushing it back in enough to drop the magazine without using a tool. Later versions solved that problem so now they are being produced without the flares as it is easier to install/remove.

tenpercentfirearms
02-18-2008, 2:13 PM
Yeah, that's not quite right, but close ;) The little flares on the bottom of the BB were not added so that the modification was permanent and the new version that is drop-in also has nothing to do with permenance. The flares on the original were to prevent someone from pulling it out, against the spring pressure, and then canting it and pushing it back in enough to drop the magazine without using a tool. Later versions solved that problem so now they are being produced without the flares as it is easier to install/remove.

Actually that whole problem was solved immediately and the flares were just over kill. I am aware of only one original Bullet Button that ever left my shop in the original dangerous configuration and I won't tell you the name of the Silicon Valley software guru and firearms afficianado it went to. He might have kept it on a rifle and I know he doesn't want to rock the boat or draw any attention to himself with the DOJ. :rolleyes: