PDA

View Full Version : Reeds in SJ

dfletcher
02-16-2008, 7:22 PM
Not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to pass on that Reeds has a fairly small but growing collection of used rifles and handguns in SJ store. their gunsmith does a bit of buying or taking in of trades. I went there today to grab a pound of powder, bought a non - import marked Inland M1 carbine in excellent condition with a beautiful dark stock for $600.00. Wrong trigger group I believe (push button safety) but for that price, I'm happy.

Horus408
02-17-2008, 6:08 AM
I like Reed's annual sale but otherwise dont find them to be OLL friendly. imho

capitol
02-17-2008, 7:24 AM
Does anyone know if Reed's Gunsmith is any good? I have a B&C stock that I would like to have bedded with a Savage action.

Max-the-Silent
02-17-2008, 9:33 AM
Does anyone know if Reed's Gunsmith is any good? I have a B&C stock that I would like to have bedded with a Savage action.

My advice?

Bedding a stock is a job that a careful amateur can perform. Get the AGI video, the tools, and knock yourself out. Remember to take your time - you can always take out more material, but putting it back in is harder.

maxicon
02-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I've never been too impressed with their used selection. Very few items and high prices in general.

Maybe that's getting better - it would be nice. My favorite San Jose place for used guns is Sportsmen's Supply.

THE 0NE
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
price is wrong!!!! The gun exchange has one of the best gunsmiths in the san jose area!

Bowser
02-17-2008, 2:25 PM
This is slightly off topic, but how is Reed's indoor range? I want to take my father to a range for my birthday coming up.

SmithAndJohnson
02-17-2008, 3:32 PM
This is slightly off topic, but how is Reed's indoor range? I want to take my father to a range for my birthday coming up.
Since I only live 3-4 miles from the indoor range, I go there a lot. I have 2 primary things to say:
1 - They are expensive. At $16 to rent a solo lane, it's much more economical if you're sharing a lane with a buddy (or father!) as that is only $20. Also renting firearms ranges from $10-20, instead of $5-10 I see at other bay area ranges. Their ammo isn't any more expensive, though...
2 - They are the cleanest, best lit, and most professionally run range I've been to in the bay area (keeping in mind I haven't made it up to Bullseye yet). Sometimes the kids behind the counter at Targetmasters make me nervous.

Go for it - especially if you're both shooting and have your own guns.

Bowser
02-17-2008, 3:40 PM
That's good to hear. We will be renting guns and sharing the lane. Do they allow renting of 2 pistols at one time, one to each person, or is it 1 gun per lane?

mur
02-17-2008, 3:45 PM
That's good to hear. We will be renting guns and sharing the lane. Do they allow renting of 2 pistols at one time, one to each person, or is it 1 gun per lane?

Yep, multiple rentals are OK
I prefer Reeds to Targetmasters because it a bit more roomy, better lit
and it's only 5 min from the house:)

dwtt
02-17-2008, 4:04 PM

I bought some parts for my Remington 1100 from Reeds gunsmith. He's knowledgable from our short conversation, but their prices are higher than just ordering the parts from Brownell. I don't know if the quality of work is good or not since I pretty much do all the fixes on my guns myself. I don't do any modifications, only fix stuff that's broken.

The only time I had modifications done was to my RIA 1911 by a gunsmith in Tracy who shoots at the TASC matches at Chabot.

dfletcher
02-17-2008, 4:32 PM
Since I only live 3-4 miles from the indoor range, I go there a lot. I have 2 primary things to say:
1 - They are expensive. At $16 to rent a solo lane, it's much more economical if you're sharing a lane with a buddy (or father!) as that is only $20. Also renting firearms ranges from $10-20, instead of $5-10 I see at other bay area ranges. Their ammo isn't any more expensive, though...
2 - They are the cleanest, best lit, and most professionally run range I've been to in the bay area (keeping in mind I haven't made it up to Bullseye yet). Sometimes the kids behind the counter at Targetmasters make me nervous.

Go for it - especially if you're both shooting and have your own guns.

+1 on that. There's nothing more annoying than poor lighting, crap all over the place, crooked target hangers and such to deal with - Reeds range is always well cared for, just wish they were open a bit later.

capitol
02-17-2008, 4:33 PM
The gun exchange has one of the best gunsmiths in the san jose area!

I have tried sending him PM's through this web site several times and have never received a response. The last I heard Mike at the Gun Exchange was no longer employing him.
And as an added bonus it took him 3 weeks to install sling studs on my rifle stock the one time I did deal with him :confused:

SmithAndJohnson
02-17-2008, 4:35 PM
+1 on that. There's nothing more annoying than poor lighting, crap all over the place, crooked target hangers and such to deal with - Reeds range is always well cared for, just wish they were open a bit later.
And a +1 back at yuh :)

Have to admit, I've had the "must go shooting today" bug after 10pm more than once and ended up in Milpitas for their hours alone.

paulo57509
02-17-2008, 5:06 PM
:offtopic:

I haven't been to Reed's (store) since ~1996.

My friend wanted me to install a short trigger on his SIG P229. I went to Reed's to see if they had this part in stock. The guy at Reed's told me that there was no such thing and I was making a mistake and that he wouldn't touch a SIG trigger because it's so finely tuned, blah, blah, blah. Tried to make me feel like an idiot. Obviously, he had never looked thru a SIG catalog or stripped a SIG to look at the action.

I walked out and have never been back.

BTW, I did locate that factory short trigger at a shop in Sunnyvale/Mountain View (it's not there anymore :(). I don't know if SIG still offers this option part, but if you have small hands I highly recommend it.

I did go to their range recently. Perhaps I'm now jaded, but I wasn't impressed.

Turbinator
02-17-2008, 5:08 PM
Reed's is nice, but last I went there the other week, I was surprised how expensive the total bill came out to be - and we didn't even rent any of the guns there. Got 2 lanes, 3 shooters, and it was $20 + $16 for the lanes, but then got 2 targets, 2 sets of eye protection, 2 sets of ear protection, and 1 box of 5 slugs for a 12 ga, and the total bill was about $58! Ouch! But the people are helpful, the place is very clean, and the range is in great condition. Overall, probably the best place to shoot indoors around the South Bay Area.

Turby

JayRuff
02-17-2008, 5:23 PM
I don't like reeds, some items are overpriced

technique
02-17-2008, 7:36 PM
I have tried sending him PM's through this web site several times and have never received a response. The last I heard Mike at the Gun Exchange was no longer employing him.
And as an added bonus it took him 3 weeks to install sling studs on my rifle stock the one time I did deal with him :confused:

He's done a great job on everything i ever gave him, and timely too.

boltstop
02-17-2008, 7:47 PM
I like the range a lot. As others have said, it's clean and well maintained. The
people who work there are knowledgeable, friendly and really safety conscious.

I'm not too concerned with the prices - I guess you have to pay for convenience.
Remember it's in the middle of Silicon Valley. Rent, liability and environmental
clean up are probably astronomical.

SmithAndJohnson
02-17-2008, 9:33 PM
Reed's is nice, but last I went there the other week, I was surprised how expensive the total bill came out to be - and we didn't even rent any of the guns there. Got 2 lanes, 3 shooters, and it was $20 + $16 for the lanes, but then got 2 targets, 2 sets of eye protection, 2 sets of ear protection, and 1 box of 5 slugs for a 12 ga, and the total bill was about $58! Ouch! But the people are helpful, the place is very clean, and the range is in great condition. Overall, probably the best place to shoot indoors around the South Bay Area.

Turby
Out of curiosity, unless you're someone who only goes to the range once or twice a year or something, how can you rationalize *not* having your own eyes and ears?

I'm guessing you do and your 2 friends don't, but even I have 1 extra set...!