PDA

View Full Version : Not to endorse any illegal activities...

Ech0Sierra
02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
but I have a .22lr AR15. It has a Prince50 lock that was returned to full function (detachable) capability since I had a .22 upper. I also have various 5.56 uppers but when I use those, I relock the P50. I am wondering if there is anything illegal for putting the upper on before relocking the P50? Manufacturing an assault weapon? Mods, feel free to lock this thread if you would like. I don't mean to violate any rules, and this is purely hypothetical; to be safe, I lock my P50 before installing the centerfire uppers.

bwiese
02-16-2008, 12:56 PM
but I have a .22lr AR15. It has a Prince50 lock that was returned to full function (detachable) capability since I had a .22 upper.

Fine. 22LR (rimfire) rifles don't fall under control of CA generic AW laws.

I also have various 5.56 uppers but when I use those, I relock the P50. I am wondering if there is anything illegal for putting the upper on before relocking the P50? Manufacturing an assault weapon?

ABSOLUTELY.

NEVER ENABLE CENTERFIRE CHARACTERISTICS +EVIL FEATURES UNLESS AND UNTIL THE CONFIGURATION HAS A FIXED MAG SETUP.

If you put a centerfire upper on an OLL receiver before the mag lock system is locked up, enabled, in place, etc. you have, at least for a moment, illegally created an AW.

I don't mean to violate any rules, and this is purely hypothetical; to be safe, I lock my P50 before installing the centerfire uppers.

Correct. Continue to do this and never deviate from it.

From a practical standpoint - so inadvertant 'bad habits' don't occur - I think folks doing this should have a separate lower devoted to 22LR use w/detachable magazines.

Ech0Sierra
02-16-2008, 1:22 PM
Thank you, again I am kept out of jail. I don't know where I'd be in this labyrinth without you all.

hoffmang
02-16-2008, 2:13 PM
$200-$300 to have a spare dedicated .22 lower is not much a price to pay to be completely safe.

-Gene

Steyr_223
02-16-2008, 2:26 PM
Prior to having the Prince50 unlocked(normal detachable mag mode), don't you have to remove the evil features first? PG and collapsing stock???

Ech0Sierra
02-16-2008, 2:29 PM
A lower without an upper isn't centerfire.

hoffmang
02-16-2008, 3:17 PM
Steyr,

You're remembering back to a more conservative set of instructions. A lower with evil features and no upper is neither semiautomatic nor centerfire (yet.) It has the capacity to accept (read closely Alison) either a single action upper or a rimfire upper but isn't any of the above yet.

-Gene

RobG
02-16-2008, 5:23 PM
$200-$300 to have a spare dedicated .22 lower is not much a price to pay to be completely safe.

How about 140.00 http://www.lanworldinc.com/Lower.htm

elSquid
02-16-2008, 5:27 PM

Yup. For my Spike's 22 upper I purchased a Sabre 22LR-marked lower. I figure that it's cheap insurance, as there now is no question that it's a rimfire setup. I can go crazy with evil features and not have to worry.

-- Michael

aplinker
02-16-2008, 5:34 PM
The $200-300 figure was including LPK and buttstock.

How about 140.00 http://www.lanworldinc.com/Lower.htm

Steyr_223
02-17-2008, 1:32 AM
Steyr,

You're remembering back to a more conservative set of instructions. A lower with evil features and no upper is neither semiautomatic nor centerfire (yet.) It has the capacity to accept (read closely Alison) either a single action upper or a rimfire upper but isn't any of the above yet.

-Gene

Thanks for the clarification..Your right I was reading some old stuff..Early 2006 was a long time ago..

:)

shark92651
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the clarification..Your right I was reading some old stuff..Early 2006 was a long time ago..

:)

Yep, I really wish Bill would take a few minutes and update this part of the FAQ - people are arguing over this point all the time - especially among people that are not members of this forum. I had to clear this up just yesterday on another blog.

Below is the part that keeps coming up. Bill, what do you say - take a few minutes and update this?

Only after a fixed low-capacity magazine is attached and screwed down should the pistol grip and/or folding or telestock be attached. Conversely, if the fixed magazine on the rifle needs to be removed for repair or cleaning, the pistol grip and/or telestock, folding stock or thumbhole stock must be removed first.

NEVER HAVE AN OFF-LIST LOWER RECEIVER WITH AN OPEN MAGAZINE WELL AND A PISTOL GRIP OR FOLDING (etc.) STOCK STILL ATACHED - EVEN FOR A MOMENT!!

aplinker
02-17-2008, 1:25 PM
+1

It keeps coming up again and again. I've asked in every forum for this to be clarified, to no avail.

Yep, I really wish Bill would take a few minutes and update this part of the FAQ - people are arguing over this point all the time - especially among people that are not members of this forum. I had to clear this up just yesterday on another blog.

Below is the part that keeps coming up. Bill, what do you say - take a few minutes and update this?

hoffmang
02-17-2008, 4:49 PM
I've even provided Bill redlines :)

-Gene

DedEye
02-17-2008, 8:47 PM
+1

It keeps coming up again and again. I've asked in every forum for this to be clarified, to no avail.

Same here...

On the topic of the original poster: it was for this reason that I got rid of my Prince50 kit and turned my .22 lower into a dedicated .22 (as opposed to switching between uppers). Now I have my .22 lower with a regular mag release button, AND a BBII equipped .223 :43:.