PDA

View Full Version : Complete lower half or build?

Born2Lose
02-15-2008, 5:36 PM
I've finally convinced my wife that i need an OLL. She said that i'll get one for my birthday in april...now that being said i'm gonna go the monsterman route because i have a bunch of preban hi-caps.

I'd like to end up with a flat top style AR with short hand guards and a reflex site.

I was thinking of just buying a stripped stag lower from DD's because i've bought 2 guns from them in the recent past and their service and prices are great.

However, i was on Lanworlds site and i saw they sell a complete lower half that includes: stag lower, parts kit, mm grip, A-2 stock, i assume buffer/spring, all installed for $286.50. It does not come with an ambi safety but they said it's $25 and they'd install that for me.

How would this compare in price to me buying all the pieces seperate and installing them myself? I am a contractor and a car guy so i think my mechanical skill would easily enable me to do this, but if its not much of a savings then i would prefer to skip that all together..plus i could talk my wife into it and i'd be that much closer to a finished AR.

Any input would be appreciated.

JagerTroop
02-15-2008, 5:55 PM
The amount of money you will save (building) is not much, if any. However, the knowledge you will gain is priceless. You will have a better understanding of your rifle, and also have a sense of pride, knowing you built your own. Much like the rich guy who knows NOTHING about cars that buys his musclecar, as opposed to the shadetree mechanic who busts his knuckles to have something he can be proud of. It's ultimately your choice, but I recomend building... at least the lower.

viras
02-15-2008, 6:25 PM
The amount of money you will save (building) is not much, if any. However, the knowledge you will gain is priceless. You will have a better understanding of your rifle, and also have a sense of pride, knowing you built your own. Much like the rich guy who knows NOTHING about cars that buys his musclecar, as opposed to the shadetree mechanic who busts his knuckles to have something he can be proud of. It's ultimately your choice, but I recomend building... at least the lower.

:iagree: 100%

great analogy

aplinker
02-15-2008, 6:44 PM
I agree with the conclusion, but not the analogy (no offense)

Building an OLL takes about an hour or two. Building a car never ends.

It's no mass undertaking. You will appreciate what you learn in doing it. You will be able to choose each and every component yourself.

I would suggest you get a stripped lower & Rock River Arms LPK. They tend to be higher quality. Armalite are excellent, too.

Born2Lose
02-15-2008, 6:55 PM
I realize all of what you guys are saying is valid..but i'd like to know the approx dollar value of what i'd save buying and shipping the individual parts that i list vs. buying the pre-assembled lower i listed on the first post.

If i combine it..i could probably justify it to the wife..if i buy a whole bunch of parts and she sees boxes coming in..i may have a fight on my hands :D

I have a new baby so money is a little tight.

aplinker
02-15-2008, 7:01 PM
Lower: $100
LPK: $70
A2 Stock (complete): $60
MMG: $45

I realize all of what you guys are saying is valid..but i'd like to know the approx dollar value of what i'd save buying and shipping the individual parts that i list vs. buying the pre-assembled lower i listed on the first post.

If i combine it..i could probably justify it to the wife..if i buy a whole bunch of parts and she sees boxes coming in..i may have a fight on my hands :D

I have a new baby so money is a little tight.

viras
02-15-2008, 7:12 PM
Well, quoting from LANWorld, it's $286.50 + $25 for your ambi safety = $311.50 + Shipping + DROS + the transfer fee at your FFL , completely assembled by pros.

Part by part, it'll be

*Stag Stripped 5.56 Lower - $105.50
*Stag Arms Lower Parts .223/5.56 Parts Kit - $62.00
*A2 Stock (Complete with Spring and Buffer) - $56.00
*AR-15 Style Monster Man Grip - $45.00
*Ambi-saftey selector - $25
Total: $311.50 + Shipping + DROS + the transfer fee at your FFL

Either way, it's the same price, it's just that on one hand you get it assembled by pros, and on the other hand you get to learn about assembling it yourself.

Whatever you choose, I'd advise that you order it all from one vendor and save on shipping. That's the key. They always get you on shipping.

JagerTroop
02-15-2008, 7:40 PM
I agree with the conclusion, but not the analogy (no offense)

Building an OLL takes about an hour or two. Building a car never ends.

It's no mass undertaking. You will appreciate what you learn in doing it. You will be able to choose each and every component yourself.

I would suggest you get a stripped lower & Rock River Arms LPK. They tend to be higher quality. Armalite are excellent, too.

None taken. I only made that analogy because he said that he was a car guy(as am I) so I thought he could relate.

Also, with the endless configurations possible for the AR platform, are you ever REALLY done? There's always a new grip, sight, etc. Or maybe when you see some new optics that you haven't tried yet, you build a new rifle? If that's the case... I hate you :D

Lon Moer
02-15-2008, 9:26 PM
..... I am a contractor and a car guy so i think my mechanical skill would easily enable me to do this, ..........
BIY! If you can work on/tune a carburetor, you can build a lower. There's a couple places with a spring and detent that you need to be careful with, and the rest is just assembly.
Print out this link and give it a read; Lower Receiver (http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/)
;)