PDA

View Full Version : Are there official definitions for the term "assault rifle"?

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 2:44 PM
Just trying to be 100% clear here.....we all know that the term "assault weapon" is totally fabricated and has no concrete meaning whatsoever - a pen can be an "assault weapon" just as well as a fully-automatic Browning M2 can be.

I personally define an "assault rifle" as a shoulder-fired weapon firing a medium-sized rifle round (most notably but certainly NOT limited to .223 or 7.62x39), and the most important part of the definition is that a true "assault rifle" is capable of burst or fully-automatic fire.

Is this correct?

Firearms like the Mp5 are submachine guns as they fire pistol-caliber rounds (9and 10mm) and rifles like the G3/PTR91/M1A/etc. are properly classified as "battle rifles" because they fire a full-sized, .30 caliber rifle round.

Are my definitions correct?

Thanks

fairfaxjim
02-15-2008, 2:48 PM
As far as California goes, it all in here:

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.php)

Jicko
02-15-2008, 2:49 PM
Anything BLACK is "Assault Weapon" in the eyes of CA-DOJ!

oaklander
02-15-2008, 3:04 PM
That's about right - see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Just trying to be 100% clear here.....we all know that the term "assault weapon" is totally fabricated and has no concrete meaning whatsoever - a pen can be an "assault weapon" just as well as a fully-automatic Browning M2 can be.

I personally define an "assault rifle" as a shoulder-fired weapon firing a medium-sized rifle round (most notably but certainly NOT limited to .223 or 7.62x39), and the most important part of the definition is that a true "assault rifle" is capable of burst or fully-automatic fire.

Is this correct?

Firearms like the Mp5 are submachine guns as they fire pistol-caliber rounds (9and 10mm) and rifles like the G3/PTR91/M1A/etc. are properly classified as "battle rifles" because they fire a full-sized, .30 caliber rifle round.

Are my definitions correct?

Thanks

Josh3239
02-15-2008, 3:06 PM
In California an AW is stated in law.

I was taught that an assault weapon was a shoulder fired weapon that was select fire. Cartidges have nothing to do with it. An MP40 and an MP5 are both sub machine guns but also fit what I thought was the definition of an AW.

ViPER395
02-15-2008, 3:06 PM
Anything that scares people into voting for your lamearse legislation.

five.five-six
02-15-2008, 3:10 PM
a pen can be an "assault weapon" just as well as a fully-automatic Browning M2 can be.

oddly enough according to SB23, neither the pen or the ma duce are asault rifles

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:11 PM

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.php)

I don't care what CA law says - 99% of what's "law" in this state is unConstutitional, immoral, illegal and unethical.

I think I remember a while ago that some government entity somewhere banned diHydrogen Monoxide, so what "the law" says doesn't interest me.

Furthermore, firearms law, especially in this communist sinkhole, is written by communists who have never fired a real gun and have zero knowledge of how one actually functions.

So again I state that the term "assault weapon" has no concrete meaning in the firearms world any further than it is a wholly contrived and politicized term that does not refer to any sort of real firearm.

Josh3239
02-15-2008, 3:12 PM
oddly enough according to SB23, neither the pen or the ma duce are asault rifles

Uh, does the pen meet legal length limits? That must be a pretty darn big pen.

viras
02-15-2008, 3:18 PM
You asked "Are there official definitions for the term "assault rifle"? "

fairfaxjim was kind enough to answer with:

Dude, why are you venting at your fellow calgunners? We feel just the same way you do. You shouldn't get mad at your fellow calgunners for following the crappy laws or pointing them out to you. If you're mad, yell at the politicians!

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:25 PM
You asked "Are there official definitions for the term "assault rifle"? "

fairfaxjim was kind enough to answer with:

Dude, why are you venting at your fellow calgunners? We feel just the same way you do. You shouldn't get mad at your fellow calgunners for following the crappy laws or pointing them out to you. If you're mad, yell at the politicians!

I'm sorry, I see how I may have come across as venting at fairfaxjim & that was not my intention.

Jim - my apologies.

:)

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:26 PM

True, but again - the term "assault weapon" has no real meaning - I know what CA & some anti-gun idiots *think* it means, but it has no true technical meaning in the firearms world.

Shotgun Man
02-15-2008, 3:28 PM
So your CA OLL build is not an assault rifle because it has doesn't have selective fire?

That's a pretty restrictive definition, but as an earlier post state that's wikipedia says too.

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:31 PM
So your CA OLL build is not an assault rifle because it has doesn't have selective fire?

That's a pretty restrictive definition, but as an earlier post state that's wikipedia says too.

Yes, my understanding of the terms is that true "assault rifles" (NOT "assault weapons) have burst or full-auto capability.

Otherwise, they are simply semi-automatic rifles.

I'm just trying to see if that is an accurate definition in the gun world.

Bassxhead
02-15-2008, 3:41 PM
Heres an LEO that knows the difference

The Truth about 'Assault Weapons'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X9cDbA8O9-c

ViPER395
02-15-2008, 3:42 PM
Heres an LEO that knows the difference

The Truth about 'Assault Weapons'
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X9cDbA8O9-c

Seen that awhile back, great flick.

viras
02-15-2008, 3:42 PM
[drumroll]

Now, I don't know the definition of an assault weapon, but I did find the definition of a salt weapon:

[rimshot!]

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Tp2OtaEFBhw/RYmN5aTN4hI/AAAAAAAAAK0/QcIFFpghVdc/s400/az9-c15p21s.JPG

:D:D:D

JagerTroop
02-15-2008, 3:45 PM
I think I remember a while ago that some government entity somewhere banned diHydrogen Monoxide, so what "the law" says doesn't interest me.

And rightfully so. That stuff is dangerous. It's everywhere, kills hundreds of people every year, and worst of all, you don't have to go through a BG check or waiting period! Kids can just walk into a store that sells dhmo and walk out with as much as they want. We need to get California government on this ASAP. :rolleyes::D

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:48 PM
And rightfully so. That stuff is dangerous. It's everywhere, kills hundreds of people every year, and worst of all, you don't have to go through a BG check or waiting period! Kids can just walk into a store that sells dhmo and walk out with as much as they want. We need to get California government on this ASAP. :rolleyes::D

No, it's even worse than that - the stuff is piped into every single home in the country!!!!!!

It's an epidemic!!!!!

DrjonesUSA
02-15-2008, 3:48 PM
In March 2004, Aliso Viejo, California almost considered banning the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events because dihydrogen monoxide is part of their production. A paralegal had asked the city council to put it on the agenda; he later attributed it to poor research.[6] The law was pulled from the agenda before it could come to a vote, but not before the city received a raft of bad publicity.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax

SemiAutoSam
02-15-2008, 3:56 PM
This website has two conflicting definitions.

http://www.answers.com/assault+rifle&r=67

the first one.
assault rifle
n.
Any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles designed for individual use in combat.

The 2nd one.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia Home > Library > Reference > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia assault rifle

Military firearm that is chambered for ammunition of reduced size or propellant charge and has the capacity to switch between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Light and portable, yet able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000 – 1,600 ft (300 – 500 m), assault rifles have become the standard infantry weapon of modern armies. Their ease of handling makes them ideal for mobile assault troops crowded into personnel carriers or helicopters, as well as for guerrilla fighters engaged in jungle or urban warfare. Widely used assault rifles are the U.S. M16, the Soviet Kalashnikov (the AK-47 and modernized versions), the Belgian FAL and FNC, and the German G3.
For more information on assault rifle, visit Britannica.com.

And then the wikipedia definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Assault rifle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

An AK-47, a commonly-used assault rifle designed by Mikhail KalashnikovAn assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and battle rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are categorized between light machine guns, intended more for sustained automatic fire in a support role, and submachine guns, which fire a handgun cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge. Assault rifles are the standard small arms in most modern armies, having largely replaced or supplemented larger, more powerful battle rifles, such as the World War II-era M1 Garand and Tokarev SVT. Examples of assault rifles include the AK-47 and the M16 rifle. Semi-automatic rifles, including commercial versions of the AR-15, and "automatic" rifles limited to firing single shots are not assault rifles as they are not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with very limited capacity fixed magazines are also generally not considered assault rifles.

Contents [hide]
1 Definition
2 History
2.1 The changing face of infantry combat
2.2 1900s–1930s: Pre-Sturmgewehr Light automatic rifles
2.3 1930s: Automatic intermediate weapons
2.4 1940s–early 1950s: Maschinenkarabiner, Sturmgewehr & AK-47
2.5 Late 1950s–1960s: Lighter rifles & smaller bullets
2.6 1970s–1990s: New form factors, features & battlefield
2.7 21st Century Developments: The first decade: Shorter barrels, larger bullets, more energy
3 The future
4 Assault weapons vs. Automatic weapons
5 Notes
6 References
7 See also
8 External links

[edit] Definition
The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally meaning "storm rifle"), "storm" used as a verb being synonymous with assault, as in "to storm the compound". Sturmgewehr was coined by Adolf Hitler[citation needed] to describe the Maschinenpistole 44, subsequently re-christened Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first true assault rifle and served to popularize the concept. The translation “assault rifle” gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the name giver StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have all of the following five characteristics to qualify as an assault rifle:[1][2][3]

Is a carbine sized individual weapon with provision to be fired from a shouldered position.
Barrel length is usually 400 mm to 500 mm (16” to 20”)
Is capable of selective fire.
Fires from a locked breech.
Utilizes an intermediate powered-cartridge.
Ammunition is supplied from a large capacity detachable box magazine.
Most common is a capacity of 30 rounds, sometimes 20 rounds, and also some times 40 or 50 rounds on current and newer weapons.
The following features are commonly found on assault rifles, but those are not exclusive to assault rifles, as those features are shared with many submachine guns, battle rifles, automatic rifles and machine guns:

Protruding pistol grip.
Folding, retractable or otherwise collapsible shoulder stock.
Bipod
Muzzle device like a muzzle brake or a flash suppressor.
There are commentators who use the expression “assault rifle” more loosely to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or civilian semi-automatic off-shoots of military rifles for commercial or political reasons. Some militaries of nations outside of the English-speaking world also have a different definition of assault rifle. For instance, the analogous term in the Swedish Armed Forces is automatkarbin (literally "automatic carbine") which includes both assault rifles and battle rifles.

fairfaxjim
02-15-2008, 4:23 PM
I'm sorry, I see how I may have come across as venting at fairfaxjim & that was not my intention.

Jim - my apologies.

:)

No offense taken.

True, but again - the term "assault weapon" has no real meaning - I know what CA & some anti-gun idiots *think* it means, but it has no true technical meaning in the firearms world.

That was my point exactly - there is no definition - it is all made up to confuse the issue.

aileron
02-15-2008, 5:11 PM

Now we just need to get the supreme court to see that truth, and whamo, end game for the anti's.

Of course we will also have to prove the b.s. with micro stamping and get that thrown into court to show that all it is, is an indirect attempt to ban firearms through other means.

Ech0Sierra
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't care what CA law says - 99% of what's "law" in this state is unConstutitional, immoral, illegal and unethical.

Furthermore, firearms law, especially in this communist sinkhole, is written by communists who have never fired a real gun and have zero knowledge of how one actually functions.

So again I state that the term "assault weapon" has no concrete meaning in the firearms world any further than it is a wholly contrived and politicized term that does not refer to any sort of real firearm.
Major component of acid rain, responsible for 100% of all drownings, large quantities ingested can cause kidney failure, contributes to the "greenhouse effect," may cause severe burns, contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape, accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals, may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes and has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.