PDA

View Full Version : Getin it together/Savage Varmint-target shooter

toby
12-24-2013, 2:52 PM
Well I got most of my parts together and did a quick mock up, I still need to have the barrel fluted much wider and deeper and then blacken the flutes. after that fireform about 40 rounds of brass and see what I can do with it.
barrel is a re-chambered 243 now an Ackley improved 40*, 1 in 9.25 twist in a take off barrel from a Varminter series. Stock is an accu-stock from a FCP-K series, got a large bolt handle, new recoil lug to fit accu-stock, new barrel nut, and Rifle basix trigger is in the mail. Warne rings, Vortex Viper. All in all I think I will be happy with it. Would I do another Savage?.......................I believe I'll stick to Weatherby's and Winchesters but figured I would do a Savage just to have one.

stevec223
12-24-2013, 7:09 PM
Very nice... I like the stock coloring... What grain bullet you going to be loading for varmits ??? How about target loads ???... A little faster twist for heavier bullets limit you to 70 gr. bullets and up ??? Merry Christmas!!! .. Cheers...

Fjold
12-24-2013, 7:58 PM
Very nice... I like the stock coloring... What grain bullet you going to be loading for varmits ??? How about target loads ???... A little faster twist for heavier bullets limit you to 70 gr. bullets and up ??? Merry Christmas!!! .. Cheers...

I shoot the 58 grain Hornadys up to 95 grain SMKs in my 9.25" twist savage.

NorCalFocus
12-24-2013, 9:44 PM
That will do just fine.

MongooseV8
12-25-2013, 7:46 AM
Nice rifle. 243 Ackley with a 1:9.25 twist will shoot fast enough to stabilize pretty much anything. I shoot 75 grain Vmax stupid fast in mine. 55 grain noslers are over 4200 fps!

toby
12-25-2013, 6:57 PM

Thank you, I will be using 85 and 100 grain bullets and I will see if it will shoot 105-107's maybe. I'm not a heavy bullet guy I prefer speed over weight, hence the improved version. I will also tinker a bit with 55's.