PDA

View Full Version : US Compliance Parts Question

Calhunter380
02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok, this is probably a stupid question but I haven't been able to find a definite answer. You need 6 US parts to be compliant, right? It is a percentage of the rifle that has to be US made, right? What if you don't use all the parts? For example, if you don't use the pistol grip for a featureless build you have one less part, and muzzle brake, two parts. My question is, if you use less parts to build your AK style rifle do the number of compliance parts needed go down? Just curious.

Calhunter380

Dump1567
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
You can't use more than 10 foreign parts. You need to count how many foreign parts are on your AK build (mag count as 3 parts).

savasyn
02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
You need 10 or less from the list of 20 possible parts. Not all guns have all 20. The AK with a stamped receiver only has 16 so you only need to swap out 6. The hammer, trigger and sear + the three furniture pieces are the easiest.

caseyjclifford
02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Does anyone have the link to the parts list, I was hoping to find a nice breakdown that can be printed out to carry with my guns. The flow chart calguns offers for id of aw is awesome.

Calhunter380
02-15-2008, 2:07 PM
Here's a link with some useful info.

http://www.buildyourownak.com/

Calhunter380

thedrickel
02-15-2008, 2:17 PM
Omitting parts is just as good as using US parts. You can't have more than 10 evil foreign parts (EFP), so if you used a G2 FCG (3) and US receiver (1), and no pistol grip or muzzle device, you would be compliant.

JeffM
02-15-2008, 2:30 PM
Ok, this is probably a stupid question but I haven't been able to find a definite answer. You need 6 US parts to be compliant, right? It is a percentage of the rifle that has to be US made, right? What if you don't use all the parts? For example, if you don't use the pistol grip for a featureless build you have one less part, and muzzle brake, two parts. My question is, if you use less parts to build your AK style rifle do the number of compliance parts needed go down? Just curious.

Calhunter380

Yes, you are correct. The number of US parts is not what counts, its having ten or less imported parts that Sec 922r references. As stated above, a standard semi AKM style rifle has 16 listed parts, so 6 of them need to be removed or replaced with US parts.

Calhunter380
02-15-2008, 3:34 PM
Thank you very much guys for clarifying that for me. That is how I thought it worked but just wasn't completely sure. :D

Calhunter380