PDA

View Full Version : Help With Current Value for Winchester '73

4DSJW
12-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

Not a lot of CA comps to go on so I'm hoping that you can help me on the approximate current value of my Winchester '73 rifle, caliber is 38-40 WCF, serial # is 705xxxB. I've owned it for several years, the action is as slick as snot and it is amazingly accurate. The metal is obviously refinished though I don't know when it was done. The wood is original and there is a very lightly charred patch on the buttstock, someone may have left it too close to the campfire, LOL. The barrel is 24" octagon with what I believe to be the original factory sights. I am not a Winchester expert by any means but when I bought the rifle I did check the fit of the links to the receiver and the receiver does not appear to have been stretched. The internals are in great shape and the dustcover is intact and works well.

I would like to sell the rifle and ~450 rounds of ammo.
- Any thoughts on the value of the package?
- Would it be better to sell the ammo and rifle separately?
- Does this rifle qualify as a C&R for a FTF sale before 1/1/14?

Thank you for any help or information!

golfish
12-23-2013, 3:52 PM
That's a nice looking rifle. I'd sure like to add that to my safe.

Sorry I can't help you with a price.

TRAP55
12-23-2013, 4:33 PM
Standard Sporting rifle made in 1913.
Pics are too small to see any other details that would hurt, or enhance the value besides the refinish.

4DSJW
12-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Standard Sporting rifle made in 1913.
Pics are too small to see any other details that would hurt, or enhance the value besides the refinish.

Happy to post anything that might help what pics would be useful? As I said the metal is refinished, there are no serious nicks or scratches, and it doesn't look like they refinished it to get rid of, or cover up, any rust issues. The wood has the typical dents, dings, and scuffs you would expect for a 100 year old rifle, but no gouges, breaks, splits, cracks or repairs. The most notable part of the stock is the darkened singed section on the buttstock. This rifle is definitely a shooter.

Still hoping that someone can help with the approximate current value on a standard sporting rifle in 38-40, made in 1913, refinished metal, original wood, excellent action, and an accurate shooter.

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments!

jdmacl
12-24-2013, 9:42 PM
That's a beautiful rifle. My Grandfather had one (it's a shame he got, "talked" out of it before I was old enough to appreciate it!), and I remember it well from growing up.

If and when you find a buyer for yours, here's some vintage ammunition they may like!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=854669

TRAP55
12-25-2013, 2:00 PM
You already know the refinish killed the collector value.
Offered in 4 calibers, desirability from highest to lowest was .22RF, .44, .38, and .32. The .22's are rare enough, so the .38/40 holds value, especially if it has a good bore.
The metal prep work for the re-blue could hurt, if screw holes are dished, sharp corners rounded off, stamped lettering polished out, etc. Blue on the originally color cased receiver/lever hurts.
WAG from what I can see, $750?
If it had been left alone, with hardly any original finish, $1000-$1200. Go figger huh?:rolleyes:

wildwilly
12-26-2013, 8:04 AM
You have a very nice vintage specimen....even though it's refinished. Originals are getting more difficult to find, even if altered. Check Cabela's gun library. They're pricey, but no shortage of buyers for vintage Winchesters.

I'll bet that you could carry that rifle to the Reno gunshow and easily be offered $1000+ before you get into the door.

4DSJW
12-27-2013, 5:03 PM
Thank you for the compliments on the rifle and your suggestions on the likely value. I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Realizing that the rifle just had its 100th birthday this year it is tugging at my heartstrings a bit more. My BIL also slobbers over this rifle all the time and he tells me that he has to own it... he just never comes up with any money, LOL. The fact is that I just don't shoot it any more and have an Uberti '66 in 44-40 that I do shoot.

I could give the rifle to the BIL, he would love it, but if he can't even forgo the cost of a few beers a week to save up some money then I'm not really all that sympathetic. Just going off a little bit, thanks again for the comments.