PDA

View Full Version : AICS stock question/gripe

Exodus343
12-22-2013, 10:57 PM
So I have a r700 sitting on an AICS
I love it, everything is well made and it's a solid stock

BUT what's with AI switching their chassis/skins!? Like the older models you can use a accushot monopod since it has an adapter built in, but with the "newer" generations they don't have that adapter or hole for the monopod...

What gives?

RuggedJay
12-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Nobody uses a monopod in any practical application. Its just way to complicated and not as intuitive, user friendly or fast as using a rearbag or other type of support.

Rear monopod is kind of a gimmick.

bsumoba
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM
sandbag...

Exodus343
12-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah I use sandbags
Its just been really digging at me why they switched the design etc etc

dskit
12-23-2013, 9:17 AM
So they can sell these instead...

http://www.eurooptic.com/ai-ax-butt-spike-module-for-chassis-and-rifle-stocks-6892.aspx

totus44
12-23-2013, 12:32 PM
AICS chassis can be upgraded/converted to non thumbhole/tactical stock using viper skins.
http://www.victorcompanyusa.com/viperskins.html

Or you can start with the AX AICS chassis
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/aics_kits.php

Personally I think the AICS 2.0, and VSkins gives you the most flexibility.

Exodus343
12-23-2013, 5:42 PM
I just saw that victor company has a new V2 stock skin that can accept the accushot BT-10
meh...

Gofasterdammit
12-23-2013, 7:06 PM
The mono-pod is completely useless. This is coming from a guy who has 4 AICS chassis and an Accu-Shot monopod buried so deep in the closet I forgot I had one until I saw this thread.

Exodus343
12-23-2013, 7:18 PM
The mono-pod is completely useless. This is coming from a guy who has 4 AICS chassis and an Accu-Shot monopod buried so deep in the closet I forgot I had one until I saw this thread.

yeah I've been getting this feedback
how come?

ar15barrels
12-23-2013, 7:46 PM

The mono-pod works great with a rear bag.
Just leave it folded UP so you can lay it in the bag.
It's about useless when deployed.

ar15barrels
12-23-2013, 7:49 PM
yeah I've been getting this feedback
how come?

Far too slow to adjust up/down and control fine windage.
With a bag, you just squeeze the bag and slide the rear of the gun around.
With a monopod, you have to adjust it up and down to get on target and then if you slide the rifle left/right, you usually have to fine-adjust the elevation again.

Monopods are mostly used on bench queens that only shoot from fixed concrete benches at short-range paper targets.

Exodus343
12-23-2013, 8:42 PM
Randall:can you recommend a good rear bag?

ar15barrels
12-23-2013, 8:52 PM
Randall:can you recommend a good rear bag?

That's like recommending a hair color to/for your girlfriend...

I like the triad medium sized wedge.
The comp-tac is good too.
The Redman round bag is also nice.
The 3gungear polyfil bags with the drawstrings also rock.
Each has it's pluses and minues.
Collect the whole set and see which one sticks to you...

Vu 308
12-24-2013, 6:35 AM
Mono pods are for mall ninjas =) As long and as much as I have shot this game I have yet to see 1 mono pod being used.

ar15barrels
12-24-2013, 7:36 AM
Mono pods are for mall ninjas =) As long and as much as I have shot this game I have yet to see 1 mono pod being used.

We had a couple show up on our new-shooter precision rifle clinics.
They didn't make it past 100yd zeroing...

Exodus343
12-24-2013, 11:27 PM
We had a couple show up on our new-shooter precision rifle clinics.
They didn't make it past 100yd zeroing...

well that sums it up

monopod = tactical not practical :D
looks like I'll get myself a TAB rear bag and call it a day

JMP
12-25-2013, 12:07 AM
I prefer custom rear rests. I make mine with a sock and some rice...that way you can get just the right size, tension, etc...however, rice is getting kind of expensive, but you don't need any kind of high-end sushi rice; the cheap stuff works fine.

JMP
12-25-2013, 12:17 AM
And, oh yeah, your stock is fine. The AX AICS is painful to look at. If HiPoint made a stock, it would probably be more pleasing to the eye than the AX AICS. (Just my opinion :))

jvpark
12-26-2013, 3:40 PM

I disagree... The accu shot mono-pod is very flexible and easy to deploy/ adjust.
I would rather carry a mono pod versus carrying around a bag of beans. It a bit more practicable. IMO.

Watch this and make your own decision...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSKTcDEDQE

bsumoba
12-26-2013, 7:36 PM
different strokes for different folks.

i can totally see a monopod being used. but i could also see a rear bag being used as well.

me, i use a rear bag since i dont want to fork up the money for one and would rather spend it on ammo components.

BisDak
12-26-2013, 7:54 PM
Best way is to get a stocking from wifey. Cut to about 12inches.

Close tie one end. Fill it with ground walnut (used for brass cleaning media) or fine sand if on the field. Close tie other end.

Put stocking inside your choice of sock. Pref the GI wool. Close.

There you go.

Call me superstitious but luck is always on my side with used wifey stockings.

Merc1138
12-26-2013, 7:57 PM
I disagree... The accu shot mono-pod is very flexible and easy to deploy/ adjust.
I would rather carry a mono pod versus carrying around a bag of beans. It a bit more practicable. IMO.

LOL, a 5 minute video to demonstrate using a monopod, when he could have done the exact same thing with that stock if the monopod wasn't installed. Of course that's all after explaining how to use a cheap bag to get the same effect and pointing out it's versatility compared to the monopod, and pointing out the slowness of the monopod by comparison.

Vu 308
12-27-2013, 6:52 AM

I had this long thing typed out explaining the physics of a mono-pod vs a rear bag but realized there will always be a market for mall ninjas :facepalm:

Exodus343
12-27-2013, 7:19 AM
Ordered myself a TAB gear rear bag
Can't wait to see how it performs

jvpark
12-27-2013, 5:40 PM
I had this long thing typed out explaining the physics of a mono-pod vs a rear bag but realized there will always be a market for mall ninjas :facepalm:

So if I use a mono-pod, I'm a mall ninja and if I use a bag, I'm a legit shooter... Cool beans.

Merc1138
12-27-2013, 6:04 PM
So if I use a mono-pod, I'm a mall ninja and if I use a bag, I'm a legit shooter... Cool beans.

If you use a monopod like the guy in that video, effectively doing nothing(you could hold the rifle the same with your hand sans monopod, for the same effect), yes.

ar15barrels
12-27-2013, 6:08 PM
So if I use a mono-pod, I'm a mall ninja and if I use a bag, I'm a legit shooter.

You said it, not me...