PDA

View Full Version : Ordered three Stag OLL's - two different versions?

RegularLT1
02-14-2008, 9:28 PM
I recently picked up a 3-pack of Stag OLL's from Rainier arms (great service, btw, I'd recommend them for AR parts). It appears I got two different styles of lowers. Two of them have a serial number beginning with a 30xxx, and the other 27xxx.

The finish on the one with the lower number is dark black. The two with higher numbers are sort of a dark charcoal/grey. In addition, the dark black one has a smoother more slick feel, where the other two have a sort of rough texture and it's slightly worn off already in high parts just from shipping. Kind of like how the grey mil-spec mags look.

The one with the lower number/darker finish looks more "meaty"... appears thicker in some areas and the lines more deliberate. The higher numbered ones look to be a cheaper casting. They are very similar, but there are definite differences most notably in the back where the recoil tube goes on and where the rear take-down pin goes.

I have an accurate food scale, the low numbered one weighs 256 grams, and the two other ones weigh 244 grams. Not a big deal, but it certainly confirms my rather un-scientific visual inspection.

Finally, the roll marks are more uniform on the lower numbered one. The deer logo and all writing is uniform depth and looks nice. The higher numbered lowers are not completely even, like parts of the deer are almost totally missing, and many of the letters are different depths than the others.

Has anyone else noticed this? Different factory perhaps? Is Stag cutting corners on later versions to keep up with demand? I'm sure they'll all function fine but I guess I would have preferred to have three of the lower numbered versions.

ivorykid
02-18-2008, 3:08 PM
Holy cow... Stag is in the 30,000's now?!? Wow. Mine are right around 8,000.

The "meaty" issues sound like normal lot variation. On your "gray" chalky lower, try wiping generous amounts of CLP on it and let it soak in. Once you wipe it clean, you should notice a nice, smooth black appearance.

BTW - the lowers are made from a forging--not a casting ;)

anyracoon
02-18-2008, 6:33 PM
I just got several of them with a serial #s starting with 41xxx. The first one seems a little tight as with a RRA upper it is a hard push to get the rear take down pin in.

RainierArms
02-18-2008, 7:00 PM
CMT, the parent company makes all the lowers for STAG AFAIK. Each batch will vary due to the machining & anodizing process. Also anodizing 7075 is really an art and Stag has it down in my opinion compared to other MFGs. If you oil them / wipe them down and let them sit a while, they look gorgeous.

It's interesting to hear that they are different weight however. I wonder if they are using a different forging??

Stanze
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
My Stag is 34xx.:D