PDA

View Full Version : AL Flats and parts kits

Prc329
02-14-2008, 7:23 PM
I have decided it is time to build an AK. looking to build as cheap as possible. Anyone use this flat?

https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=35&ProductID=276

Also whats the deal with the dirt cheap parts kits at Centerfire Systems? Would it be more work then needed to clean them up and I should go with a better kit?

wilit
02-14-2008, 7:31 PM
If you're looking for inexpensive and good, why not use the best?

http://www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=69

DJMAN
02-14-2008, 7:33 PM
http://www.cctactical.com/ They have great flats. Go with a fellow CG.:D

savageevo
02-14-2008, 7:48 PM
I concur with djman. the flats from cctactical are great. Especially the ones that already has the bend for the bolt carriar guides. I only paid 14.00 us. Better than 49.00 us for the exact same thing.

jacques
02-14-2008, 7:57 PM
Is there a good place to get instructions on bending and assembling that particular Flat?

Prc329
02-14-2008, 8:03 PM
****, I'll buy a couple of those just to have laying around at $13.99.

So what's the deal with kits?

DJMAN
02-14-2008, 8:06 PM
Is there a good place to get instructions on bending and assembling that particular Flat?

Look for an AK build party in your area. Lots of time and tools.. tools.. tools.. oh and spot welder. Wait for FEDUP to chime in.:D

Grouch
02-14-2008, 8:41 PM
I have decided it is time to build an AK. looking to build as cheap as possible. Anyone use this flat?

https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=35&ProductID=276

Also whats the deal with the dirt cheap parts kits at Centerfire Systems? Would it be more work then needed to clean them up and I should go with a better kit?

I think FEDUP used one very similar to that a long time ago. To put it nicely they are garbage.

thedrickel
02-14-2008, 8:51 PM
Why would you buy anything but ak-builder.com flats?

FEDUPWBS
02-14-2008, 9:22 PM
Get a WASR if you only want one or NDS-3. Its not worth the hastle to build just one.(you have been warned).
AK-builder or nothing and you will need TOOLS and SKILLS

bigthaiboy
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
It appears the grade B and grade C AK kits that just appeared on Centerfire's site appear to be the dregs from Century. The last kits available from Century, some had some rust issues. These are way worst by the sounds of it, as Centerfire claim these have salt water damage.

Chances are the rust may reveal pitting in the steel and ruin the finish.

plinkmeister
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
It appears the grade B and grade C AK kits that just appeared on Centerfire's site appear to be the dregs from Century. The last kits available from Century, some had some rust issues. These are way worst by the sounds of it, as Centerfire claim these have salt water damage.

No $h!t?:rolleyes:

Prc329
02-15-2008, 6:17 AM
O.K., I ordered 2 Tapco flats and a few compliance parts. I think I'm going to get a kit from CWS. Note sure yet and find a build party to go to.

Grouch
02-15-2008, 8:22 AM
O.K., I ordered 2 Tapco flats and a few compliance parts. I think I'm going to get a kit from CWS. Note sure yet and find a build party to go to.

Shoulda bought my kit ;)

Calhunter380
02-15-2008, 9:26 AM

I bet the barrel pins are FUN FUN FUN to get out of those :eek:

Calhunter380

FEDUPWBS
02-15-2008, 9:35 AM

Good Luck with that. I guess 3900+ posts doesnt = AK common sense stop posting and start listening. AK-BUILDER ONLY TRUST ME!!!!!!!

EDIT: NO DISRESPECT INTENDED! I am only trying to make a point and save you lots of PITA and $. Ive done business with PRC329 before and he is a top notch CGer. I understand he is an AR guy too. These are not AR type platforms by any means. Again good luck and feel free to pm me w/ any build questions.

bigthaiboy
02-15-2008, 9:40 PM
No $h!t?:rolleyes:

Are you trying to be funny? Smart *****! :mad:

So you spoke to a sales rep at Centerfire and found out these kits were the last ones from Century? Well, I did, and was just sharing.

I suggest you keep your snide remarks to yourself!

plinkmeister
02-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I suggest you keep your snide remarks to yourself!

Little chance of that.:chris::43:

bigthaiboy
02-15-2008, 11:23 PM
plinkmeister:

Little chance of that.

Umm. How old are you??? :rolleyes:

Unless you have seen these B & C grade AK kits in person, then you have nothing constructive to say, which I know you haven't since you had to ask about the condition of the $109 B grade kits in a previous posting in the commercial sales forum a couple of days ago. In that case, why do you feel the need to make snide remarks about my post. I spoke to a sales rep at Centerfire about these kits recently and bought a few of the last Century ones, so probably have a hell of a better idea than you do about the condition of these kits, and was just passing on the info to other forum users who have no dealings with Centerfire.

If such a posting somehow offends you then, tough s**t, since we can't all be immature know-it-alls like someone not a million miles away from here.

plinkmeister
02-16-2008, 7:00 AM
Umm. How old are you??? :rolleyes:

Unless you have seen these B & C grade AK kits in person, then you have nothing constructive to say, which I know you haven't since you had to ask about the condition of the $109 B grade kits in a previous posting in the commercial sales forum a couple of days ago. In that case, why do you feel the need to make snide remarks about my post. I spoke to a sales rep at Centerfire about these kits recently and bought a few of the last Century ones, so probably have a hell of a better idea than you do about the condition of these kits, and was just passing on the info to other forum users who have no dealings with Centerfire.

If such a posting somehow offends you then, tough s**t, since we can't all be immature know-it-alls like someone not a million miles away from here.

Look you really don`t need to be a genius to figure this out:
Chances are the rust may reveal pitting in the steel and ruin the finish The question was not IF but how bad.
That quote really gave me a few good chuckles, even more your response to my "snide remark", you know when I`ve read it, I kinda sensed the adrenaline, anger and raised blood pressure because your "authority as an expert" was questioned. I realize that you prolly know more abou AK`s than I ever will, I just find it amusing how serious you take yourself, how my remark was totally blown out of proportion and resulted in a total waste of bandwidth. Don`t worry boyo, It`s really not that easy to offend me, but I`ve got the feeling that you should work on your self control.
Carry on! :laugh:

plinkmeister
02-16-2008, 8:30 AM
Bigthaiboy, you know I didn`t really mean to be a d!ck. Peace?:)

thedrickel
02-16-2008, 9:21 AM
Bigthaiboy, you know I didn`t really mean to be a d!ck. Peace?:)

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/rodney_king.jpg

bigthaiboy
02-16-2008, 3:55 PM
[QUOTE=plinkmeister;1005213]Look you really don`t need to be a genius to figure this out:
The question was not IF but how bad.

No worries. Plink. I am not even remotely close to being any kind of expert on AKs, just a guy who's built a couple and learning as I go along. I did receive a pitted barrel kit from Century which took a lot of work to smooth out, but even re-parking, duracoat, gunkote, etc, it still will never look 100%, so these Centerfire kits have yet remained unseen by anyone, I'm guessing the pittings under the "Protective rust coating" as going to be way worse, it'll be a total PITA to refinish to a reasonable standard.

What rubbed me up the wrong way about your comment wasn't because I thought you were attacking my "expertise", more the percieved unprovoked attack on my common sense.

Anyway enough said. :)

ptoguy2002
02-16-2008, 4:13 PM
http://www.cctactical.com/ They have great flats. Go with a fellow CG.:D

+1 for canyon country