PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for replacement field dress knife

California12120
12-22-2013, 12:24 PM
I managed to lose the knife I got from my grandfather long long ago. Now I need a new hunting/field dress knife.
I would appreciate recommendations. I am looking for either a fixed blade or folding knife with a 3.5 to 4 inch blade that will take and hold a razor edge. I will be using it for skinning and/or field dressing wild pig and deer.
I haven't bought a serious blade in over 20 years, so I have no idea what might be available, so I greatly appreciate any suggestions.

thomashoward
12-22-2013, 2:39 PM
http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterknives-gear.aspx
there are hundreds of knife companies.Depends on your preferences.Research different steel. look at feedback.3.5-4" is on the mark for field dressing. I carry a Multi-tool with a saw blade for the pelvic bone and a short fixed blade for the rest.
in before the cheaper is better horde.

California12120
12-22-2013, 9:51 PM
I went into a local sporting goods store and had a look at all the knives in their case. The sales rep, a very young individual, started showing me what he insisted on referring to as "tactical knives". Tactical is a term that has become so overused as to be, to all intents and purposes, meaningless. I smiled and asked him what he meant by "tactical" and he got a confused look on his face and said: "well, you know, military and ****". I asked him what that had to do with a good field dress knife and his comment was "everybody wants a tactical knife"

I walked out and decided I'll find someone closer to my half century in age who can talk hunting and not just "well, you know, military and ****".

BTW, do not misconstrue this comment as me denigrating or in any way disrespecting the military. i just happen to think military needs differ quite a bit from hunting needs.

California12120
12-22-2013, 9:55 PM
Please forgive the use of "S***" in my prior post. I don't mean to offend, I just wanted to quote the young gentleman accurately,

Tripper
12-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Z-blade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Religious Shooter
12-23-2013, 4:56 AM
As a card carrying member of the Cheaper is Better Horde I'd suggest this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720683/gerber-freeman-guide-fixed-blade-knife-combo-4-stainless-steel-drop-point-blade-rubber-handle-and-e-z-zip-gut-hook?cm_vc=wishList

WalterJones
12-23-2013, 5:34 AM
Nowadays there's been alot of changes in metallurgy. Since you sound like you stick with a knife for a while look in to some of the higher end steel that available. Knives are tools and as such you get what you pay for.

Bark River is one of my favorite companies.

http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/deluxe-game/

Many options out there but I'd personally stay away from anything in 440 stainless. 3V and S35VN are my favorite stainless steels and D2, A2, 52100 make really great carbon steels. D2 is actually semi-stainless because of it's composition.

Blademan21
12-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Two bladed Trapper is a good choice if you don't need a small saw or axe. ALso Knives Of Alaska has different combo's up to 3 knife sets,but not cheap. I have a couple of NIB Remington 1989 Bullet Trappers with sheaths that I made. Let me know if interested.
Not: they are not lock blades.

RandyD
12-23-2013, 5:20 PM
I have a "tactical" knife, a Spyderco Paramiltary 2. I carry this everyday, and I want to use it to field dress, skin and quarter my next deer or elk. I believe this knife is far superior to any Buck knife that I have ever owned.

WHITE MAMBA
12-24-2013, 9:29 AM
Whats your budget? I have a Kika Matsuda thats awesome but I also have a cheap Bear Grillys walmart skeleton knife that has taken apart a few animals as well!

FatCity67
12-24-2013, 9:57 AM
Get an original Schrade 225OT Son-of-a-Gun.

It was cool before Tacticool.

Get this one now. You'll pass it down to your grandkids if you dont lose it.:facepalm::D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SCHRADE-USA-OLD-TIMER-225OT-SON-OF-GUN-KNIFE-NEW-WITH-BOX-/161033640052?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item257e5a5874

No its not my ad.

I have an original like this one from 1992 and it is hands down the best hunting knife I've ever owned in 30+ years of hunting and fishing.

Its a higher carbon steel blade than you can get in most knives today. 1095AISI. You'll need to keep it clean and lightly oiled. It will darken over the years.

The saw is a beast and zips through Elk chests in a flash.

FYI DO NOT BUY A NEW ONE. They are cheap Chinese crap as the Schrade name was bought by some *******s after the original company went under.

California12120
12-24-2013, 12:33 PM
lots of great suggestions! thanks everyone. I went out and look at "old reliable" buck knives. now I am glad I did not buy one. While I may end up back there I want to check out the suggestions you have all sent.

California12120
12-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Since you sound like you stick with a knife for a while...

I tend to stick with what I like. I drove the same car for 16 years...still miss that damn car.

Blademan21
12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a "tactical" knife, a Spyderco Paramiltary 2. I carry this everyday, and I want to use it to field dress, skin and quarter my next deer or elk. I believe this knife is far superior to any Buck knife that I have ever owned.

Not saying it can't be done but it would sure be fun to watch:D

Blademan21
12-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Look at the Case XX Changer. US made and comes with 4 blades. Wood or Stag handled. Good luck.

California12120
12-24-2013, 9:09 PM
My eldest son gave me a Buck 110 for Christmas. A nice old reliable, it came with a leather holster. They sure are comfortable to hold. I will probably still buy another knife now that I have read some of the suggestions in this thread.

thanks all and Merry Christmas

Stockton
12-24-2013, 9:22 PM
Dexter Russell processing knives. Not pretty. Made for processing. Moose, caribou, deer, fish you name it. I'm sure a pig is no tougher than a moose. They do make a small game knife.

thomashoward
12-26-2013, 4:50 PM
I smiled and asked him what he meant by "tactical" and he got a confused look on his face and said: "well, you know, military and ****". I asked him what that had to do with a good field dress knife and his comment was "everybody wants a tactical knife"

I walked out, military needs differ quite a bit from hunting needs.

I think all the "tactical" wanna-bee play military should put up or shut up. A minimum 2 years in their choice military branch should give a short course on "tactical"

California12120
12-26-2013, 8:22 PM
I think all the "tactical" wanna-bee play military should put up or shut up. A minimum 2 years in their choice military branch should give a short course on "tactical"

Amen

XVIga_Rob
12-26-2013, 8:50 PM

Amen

I'll 2nd that!

Also, that Buck 110 is a solid classic. Had one for many years. I now carry/use a Buck Ranger (with finger grooves). My everyday pocket knife is a Case Copperlock. Love both these knives!

Saintwicked
12-26-2013, 9:49 PM
Cold Steel Master Hunter 4 1/2" or Pendleton Hunter 3 1/2" also by Cold Steel. Good solid knives at a good price. Unfortunately not made in USA any more.

Letterman52
12-27-2013, 9:44 PM
Nowadays there's been alot of changes in metallurgy. Since you sound like you stick with a knife for a while look in to some of the higher end steel that available. Knives are tools and as such you get what you pay for.

Bark River is one of my favorite companies.

http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/deluxe-game/

Many options out there but I'd personally stay away from anything in 440 stainless. 3V and S35VN are my favorite stainless steels and D2, A2, 52100 make really great carbon steels. D2 is actually semi-stainless because of it's composition.

How are you supposed to order one of these?

Blademan21
12-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Letterman52...,easy you go to Barkrivers web and look for a dealer near you ;)

The sarge
12-28-2013, 12:51 PM
I use a nice benchmade presidio. I guess you could call it tacticool since it's black and spring loaded( I'm active military so I can have it). It's pretty simple, half serrated and sharp as hell. It's my second one and the first one was beat to hell for several deployments. I sent it to benchmade to get it sharpened and ended up with a new one in the box I got back.

Meety Peety
12-28-2013, 5:07 PM
Its hard to beat Bark River in terms of beauty, blade steel and customization. You can just about pick the blade style you want, blade steel and scales and they will make it for you. Biggest downside is the cost. They cost a pretty penny. But, they will last you a lifetime as well. If you're not too picky, you can find them for sale on bladeforums for good prices pretty often, but then you can't pick all the specs.

thomashoward
12-28-2013, 10:56 PM
How are you supposed to order one of these?

http://www.knifeworks.com/barkriverknifeandtool.aspx