View Full Version : Fixed Blade Knives in US Post Office

12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Is it illegal to open carry a fixed blade knife in a US Post Office?

Here's what I found on the USPS web site,

Poster 158 - Possession of Fire Arms and Other Dangerous Weapons on Postal Service Property is Prohibited by Law December 2005
PSN 7610-03-000-3949

Possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a federal facility for other than official purposes, causing such a weapon to be present, or attempting to do so are punishable by a fine, imprisonment for up to 1 year, or both.

If the prohibited weapon is intended to be used to commit a crime, the penalty is an increased fine, imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both.
Title 18, United States Code, Section 930

No person on U.S. Postal Service property may carry or store firearms,
explosives, or other dangerous or deadly weapons, either openly or
concealed, except for official purposes.
Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1

Link http://about.usps.com/posters/pos158/welcome.htm

So my question is, is a fixed blade knife a "dangerous or deadly weapon" in the eyes of USPS? Because they DO NOT define what a dangerous or deadly weapon is, other than firearms and explosives, I'm here asking this question.

TIA for your useful advise.

12-20-2013, 10:00 PM
I would say yes.

Although, and I can't find the link, I believe there was a recent court judgment
that negates that rule in the parking areas. The rule now just applies to the building.

Found an article describing it.

12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't risk it just to mail something.
Leave it in the car.

12-21-2013, 7:41 AM
I was in a US Post Office last week dropping off some stamped letters and right above the mail slot was the same warning I quoted above, I skimmed it for later Web reference because sometime I do open carry my Bark River Bravo 1 when running errands here in the East Bay. Although I wasn't carrying my knife that day, it dawned on me that I could have (??) made an unknowing mistake in the past... So now I'm square w/it, it will stay in the car when I'm at the Post Office. Thanks guys!

12-21-2013, 7:45 AM
I have seen guys carrying folders on their belt
never talked to anyone who got hassled but why give 'em a chance to harrass you over it

12-21-2013, 11:22 PM
I once wore my fixed blade into the DMV.
"You can't have that weapon in here."
"Oh... It's a tool, not a weapon," I said, chuckling and friendly as I walked out.

Small town here, so glad it wasn't San Francisco! I'd probably be posting from jail.

01-20-2014, 12:00 AM
why does the usps hide behind "federal" laws protection.

when they keep stating they are NOT part of the US goverment????