PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 6P's for $37 on eBay - NIB

Ugly Dwarf
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
For anyone looking for a great price on a 6P, I just bought one of these last week and it is as described.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ260210401484QQihZ016QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is not my deal and I have no affiliation with the seller (other than as a buyer), but he has the best price I found.

Buy It Now price of $37 with $5 shipping.

Dwarf

wingman01
02-14-2008, 5:11 PM
Great deal, I bought my two:)
Thanks for the word...

Jicko
02-14-2008, 5:18 PM
Now, buy the P60L LED assembly!!
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/24502/P60L-LED-Assembly

Upgrade your 6P to 85 lumens, and 12 hrs battery life!!! (Instead of 60 lumens for 1 hr)

brassburnz
02-14-2008, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the flashlights. That's the same price I paid for my G2 nitrolon.

DRM6000
02-14-2008, 5:45 PM
thanks alot for the info. i got one. :)

Boomer1961
02-14-2008, 7:34 PM
Not yet a light on gun guy yet.

Is this the vanilla surefire model that is commonly used by you guys on your guns?

What makes this so special (size, brightness, accessorizing like remote switch tail cap)? It is listed as 65 lumens yet my little streamlight I use at work is 125 lumens.

Also is the LED light any good. I have found that LED lights at work are junk for what I need as they diffuse the light in the whole area whereas the brightly focused beam is what I require for work. Do you folks find the same is true for a tactical light or is the lighting up the whole room not as bright as a beam would in an area what is required. I would think a bright beam in someones eyes would provide some tactical edge in itself that an LED would not do as well???

Also what do you guys use for batteries?

Does anyone do a rechargeable setup or is it that these things are safe/closet/under the pillow queens and not used enough to burn up allot of batteries?

Also, though I know the price of surefire tactical lights were once well over $100 with no bargains to be found it does seem that this model of surefire can be had now for under $50 on ebay or is it just that this guy has temporarily driven down everyone elses auction prices for the last two weeks?

THANKS!

emc002
02-14-2008, 8:57 PM
Ordered my two!

emc002
02-14-2008, 9:02 PM
This is incandescent, not LED.
I find LEDs are more rugged for weapons, so these (after upgrading the lamp to P60L) will be car flashlights.

Also is the LED light any good.

draconianruler
02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Just bought one too. Hurry, there's only 2 left. Not sure if he has more to sell after that.

Hunter
02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
There were selling these for $25 at the SHOT show in LV. Wonder if he scored a bunch of them?

kpw001
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Not yet a light on gun guy yet.

Is this the vanilla surefire model that is commonly used by you guys on your guns?

What makes this so special (size, brightness, accessorizing like remote switch tail cap)? It is listed as 65 lumens yet my little streamlight I use at work is 125 lumens.

Also is the LED light any good. I have found that LED lights at work are junk for what I need as they diffuse the light in the whole area whereas the brightly focused beam is what I require for work. Do you folks find the same is true for a tactical light or is the lighting up the whole room not as bright as a beam would in an area what is required. I would think a bright beam in someones eyes would provide some tactical edge in itself that an LED would not do as well???

Also what do you guys use for batteries?

Does anyone do a rechargeable setup or is it that these things are safe/closet/under the pillow queens and not used enough to burn up allot of batteries?

Also, though I know the price of surefire tactical lights were once well over $100 with no bargains to be found it does seem that this model of surefire can be had now for under $50 on ebay or is it just that this guy has temporarily driven down everyone elses auction prices for the last two weeks?

THANKS!

So here's my 2 cents on Surefires....

I don't have this mounted to my HD gun but I keep it on the night stand right next to it. I use the two handed method for lowlight situations because I have an apartment and there is only way a BG can come it so the light is more for me to ID my target, rather then trying to clear a house or anything. I hadn't heard of Surefires until 2003 when my brother got one as a gift before he was deployed to Iraq during the initial invasion. Since then everyone in my family has at least one. I suppose what makes them special is that they are proven to be tactical grade. My brother said he's seen Surefire lights survive IEDs and keep running.

Surefires have a set focus so you have a focused beam no matter what but I find it's still bright enough to light up a good size room and blind a BG at the same time. I haven't seen the LED upgrade in person but I would imagine they used the same design to keep the beam focus but with a bright light source.

As for batteries, SF seems to have the best price on SF branded CR123's but any CR123 will do. You can surf around and see what you can find. I personally keep at least 6 spares around for my 6P and G2. I use them whenever I need a light and especially if I'm working in a tight spot like under the sink or something. But eventually I do plan pick up a rechargeable setup for my apartment and keep one of the others with my HD gun.

If you want to try one out you can always start with either the G2 or G2 LED. Its the same dimension as the 6P and other "tactical" lights but its SF's cheapest lights. The only difference is that the 6P has an aluminum body and the G2s use SF's proprietary polymer called Nitrolon.

That's about it for me!

rebelmachine2000
02-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for posting this. I just purchased one. The listing currently says he/she has 29 left.

balance
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I have owned a couple of Surefires. My most recent purchase was a 6P Defender. Nice flashlight, good beam for the stock incandescent bulb. After finding out about www.candlepowerforum.com, I did order some goodies to augment this light. I picked up a Q5 LED drop-in (I think these are in the 160 lumen range) and some rechargeable batteries and a charger. $38 shipped. It is just another option. I can always go back to the regular bulb and batteries if i need to.

Ugly Dwarf
02-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm glad so many were able to take advantage. The lowest I'd seen 6P's going at auction for was $50... so I guess some people either love to bid more than save, or they don't search for 'buy it now' prices.

I don't know how he got such a good deal on the lights that he can sell them that low. I briefly considered bying a bunch of them and selling them at auction... too much work for $10 a light, minus eBay fees.

As for batteries, I started buying in bulk from Botach when I started using Surefires years ago. I typically see them in the $20 for 20 batteries range, plus S&H. I know there are some Botach haters here on this site, but I've had good (not great) luck with them and their prices are usually good.

Regarding why to have this over a Streamlight or other small light... I guess it comes down to what fits in your hands, pockets and budget.

I like the fact that I can carry the effective light of a 6 D Cell maglight in my jacket pocket - very disorienting when you shine it in someone's eyes.

On the plus side of the maglight... in an emergency, it can even be used as a flashlight.

Regarding brands, I like the Surefire because it's what I'm familiar with. I was only in the market because I lost my 15 year old 6Z a couple months back and felt nekid without it - still can't believe they now ask $40-$50 more for the 'tactical' grip. When I bought my 6Z the price difference was $10.

brassburnz
02-17-2008, 12:51 PM
There were selling these for $25 at the SHOT show in LV. Wonder if he scored a bunch of them?

$25 at SHOT is a killer deal. $42 delivered is still a good deal.

aplinker
02-17-2008, 7:12 PM
Or do it on the cheap:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

Now, buy the P60L LED assembly!!
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/0/prrfnbr/24502/P60L-LED-Assembly

Upgrade your 6P to 85 lumens, and 12 hrs battery life!!! (Instead of 60 lumens for 1 hr)

RP1911
02-17-2008, 7:45 PM
The seller has a new auction up with 17 of the 6P flashlights available.

reznunt
02-17-2008, 9:20 PM
Or do it on the cheap:

hell ya this is a good deal too! got the 6p off of the ebay deal and just picked one of these up... thanks for the link!

Guns R Tools
02-17-2008, 9:54 PM
Surefire has new lockalbe tail light switch. Maybe Surefire is discontinuing regular momentary-on/twist-on type setup.

Regardless, it a good price.

Spdjunkie
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Or do it on the cheap:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090 "uclaplinker" Do you know what the Lumen output is with the Cree LED Conversion?

Thanks

reznunt
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
"uclaplinker" Do you know what the Lumen output is with the Cree LED Conversion?

Thanks

a lot of sellers on ebay are selling the same cree emitter and claiming anywhere from 160-200 lumen output depending on the input voltage. even taking the modest claim of 160 lumens, it's still brighter than the surefire led replacement assembly (80 lumens) and at 25% of the price! i don't know what the battery life is but an led will definitely last longer than the standard xenon incandescent.

aplinker
02-18-2008, 1:02 PM
"uclaplinker" Do you know what the Lumen output is with the Cree LED Conversion?

Thanks

Like the person above me said... It's going to be more than the standard halogen, probably in the 100-140 lumen range, with a lot more battery life.

I bought a different one for a different light and it was a marked improvement.

For $10 (including shipping) give it a shot. The Reviews on DX are genuine -- real people often with real experience. They don't delete bad ones, either. They have lots of other cool stuff there on the cheap.

For the price you'd pay for a 6P + Surefire head, I'd say get a Fenix T1. Those are fantastic.

Spdjunkie
02-18-2008, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. Found info. on the candlepowerforum last night after I posted. Bought a few for others and myself, Thanks for the link :D Appreciate it.

PLINK
02-18-2008, 8:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. First Surefire flash light.

Spdjunkie
02-18-2008, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. First Surefire flash light. Good Deal, Wont be your last SF ;)

brassburnz
02-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Received two of the Surefire 6P lights today. They look just like the retail packaging except it looks like the upc code was razored off. At first I thought they didn't have batteries, but I opened one of them and it was good to go.

emc002
02-20-2008, 9:36 AM
Received two of the Surefire 6P lights today. They look just like the retail packaging except it looks like the upc code was razored off. At first I thought they didn't have batteries, but I opened one of them and it was good to go.

Same here... Got my two with the UPC razored off.
Hmmm...:TFH:

stevie
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, got two also... dang, i must have about 11 SF lights....

maxicon
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
For those following output specs, most LED conversions are spec'ed at the emitter. The rule of thumb to get actual output is to multiply times 0.65 to get the torch output, or light out the front. This accounts for losses from the reflector and lens.

So, an ebay claim of 160 lumens will be an actual output of 104 lumens - still a great upgrade from the 80 lumen incan bulb, with much better run time to boot.

For those who really want to turbo your P60 based Surefires with one of the best LED conversions out there, get on the mailing list for Malkoff Devices. He sells out quickly when they're available, so you have to move fast.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/

The output is 235 lumens at the emitter, with a runtime of 1.5 hours. Where Malkoff beats the inexpensive drop-ins is in the throw and spill quality, with a very smooth, very white beam with a lot of throw and a good spill. I just put one in my weaponlight, and it totally wipes out my handheld G2 with a P61 (120 lumens, 20 minutes).

He also makes 240 lumen drop-ins for the C and D cell Mag-Lites. My neighbor got one, and it's breathed new life into his tired old Mag. I'm thinking about getting one for my 3 D cell Mag and using it as a car light.

CACitUP
02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
If anyone one of you guys that bought multiples of this item wanna sell me one let me know. I didnt move fast enough I guess. Thought it was time to finally get a real flashlight ;)

natedogg1777
02-20-2008, 2:18 PM
I shouldn't have spent the money, but I ended up buying one in a drunken stupor last night! Too...much...wine...

aplinker
02-20-2008, 3:26 PM
Bought one, got it, all is good.

CACitUP
02-20-2008, 3:34 PM
Like I said....I would be more than willing to alleviate your guilt and purchase yours from you!

I shouldn't have spent the money, but I ended up buying one in a drunken stupor last night! Too...much...wine...

wayoutwest
02-22-2008, 9:19 AM
He has more available now, search his other auction

DRM6000
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
i got mine and a bar code or something was cut off the package. what would be the purpose of that?

aplinker
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I can imagine a couple.

Either it's a situation like books (they're promotional and not intended for resale) or he got a rebate by sending them in.

i got mine and a bar code or something was cut off the package. what would be the purpose of that?

stevie
02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
$25 at SHOT is a killer deal. $42 delivered is still a good deal.

The guy is sending them from Las Vegas.. Maybe he got them all from the shot show?

draconianruler
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I got mine several days ago. Works perfect. Pretty good deal.

hiyabrad
02-22-2008, 3:23 PM

razorx
02-22-2008, 3:44 PM

reznunt
02-22-2008, 8:04 PM

draconianruler
02-23-2008, 1:46 AM

Echo.........:confused: I wonder if there was some glitch in the forum.

1hotrod
02-23-2008, 1:32 PM
I have a couple of 6p, but I use this now, because it's comes a 3.6v rechargable, really small, can use regular 3v CR123. The only problem is that is does get a little warm. By far the smallest and brightest LED flashlight that I have seen.

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=234

This place is really cheap for cr123 batteries too.

trashman
02-23-2008, 2:03 PM
Echo.........:confused: I wonder if there was some glitch in the matrix.

Fixed it for you.

--Neill

ty423
02-23-2008, 3:41 PM
Echo.........:confused:I wonder if there was some glitch in the forum.

RP1911
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I got my order in. They were packed well and they were in their original packaging. Looks like the barcode was removed from the factory packaging.

Now to buy the LED conversion.

Danield
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
These are back up again, he has 5 more. well, i just bought 3, so 2 more. here's the new link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ260214161483QQihZ016QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

marxdspot
02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I got mine yesterday and am really happy with my purchase considering the price.:D

ty423
02-24-2008, 2:53 PM
I ordered one too...this guys been selling these for months...i don't think he's running out anytime soon...look at his feedback history...he's sold hundreds of these in last few months...even some at $35.

ty423
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
got mine today...wow fast shipping

fireblast713
02-25-2008, 7:08 PM
How does this compare to the Fenix P2D-CE light? I realize they're in different classes, but I want a EDC light without breaking the bank.

donger
02-26-2008, 2:03 PM
Just got two yesterday. Two day shipping outta Las Vegas.

MT1
02-26-2008, 7:50 PM
I received one the other day, and ended up ordering another one tonight. Ordered a couple of the Cree LED conversions.

For batteries, anybody run across a review of all the different brands and which is the best bang for the buck? there are multiple mah ratings from 1000-1600... some generic brands are as cheap as $1 per...

http://batteryjunction.com/crba.html
http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

And Surefire is cheapest for their own branded batteries..

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/97/prrfnbr/685/Box-of-12-SureFire-123A-Lithium-Batteries

CACitUP
03-06-2008, 8:50 PM
Just received my LED from dealextreme.com and I have to say this drop in module rocks. At $10 bucks Im gonna have to load up now.

Or do it on the cheap:

razorx
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Just received my LED from dealextreme.com and I have to say this drop in module rocks. At $10 bucks Im gonna have to load up now.

Received mine too and it works great.

davedog665
03-06-2008, 11:00 PM
man i missed the boat with these i see he has 2 for auction now i hate that i would rather buy um now. maybe he's finally running out. How do you think these would work affixed to an my ar i think i read people using them but you have to get some type of shock proof bezel??

aplinker
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
man i missed the boat with these i see he has 2 for auction now i hate that i would rather buy um now. maybe he's finally running out. How do you think these would work affixed to an my ar i think i read people using them but you have to get some type of shock proof bezel??

Use the body with an LED drop-in.

hiyabrad
03-07-2008, 9:31 AM
Can you enlighten me on what this mod does?

CACitUP
03-07-2008, 9:42 AM
Email the seller.....he will let you know when he is going to put more up. Nice guy and good seller. Seems to have an unlimited supply of these things.

CACitUP
03-07-2008, 9:45 AM
It converts the light to LED, makes it brighter and the batteries last MUCH longer. Look at the specs on the 6p LED Surefire......Cree is providing the LED internals to Surefire. The drop in at Dealextreme is a Cree drop in for 1/4 of the price.

Can you enlighten me on what this mod does?

davedog665
03-07-2008, 9:48 AM
Sweet guys will do

maxicon
03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
How does this compare to the Fenix P2D-CE light? I realize they're in different classes, but I want a EDC light without breaking the bank.

I just got a P2D-CE and will be reviewing it soon in the optics forum. It's a totally different light - much smaller and mostly less bright, with different features, like the varying brightness levels. The SF is a one-trick pony - a simple, bright, reliable light. The Fenix is definitely better as an EDC light, car light, whatever, while the Surefire is better as a tactical/weapon light.

It converts the light to LED, makes it brighter and the batteries last MUCH longer. Look at the specs on the 6p LED Surefire......Cree is providing the LED internals to Surefire. The drop in at Dealextreme is a Cree drop in for 1/4 of the price.

Cree makes the LEDs. The driver boards and reflector assemblies are made elsewhere. I'd bet that all of them are made at factories in China, but the SF module is made with much tighter specs and quality control requirements.

The one caution I'd have on the DX modules is that the quality is variable, while I'd expect the SF conversions to be much better made. A DX module is like a Chinese scope - they generally work well for a lot less, but reliability isn't a sure thing. The SF light or conversion is like a Leupold - you pay more for the same functionality, but you get a much better prospect for reliability and support.

I haven't handled the SF modules yet, but I'd be willing to bet they're specifying a much more robust design than the DX modules. They have a reputation that needs to be maintained.

draconianruler
03-08-2008, 1:38 AM
I just dropped in the DX module the other day and its pretty bright. Overall, I'm very happy with the $10ish I spend on it.

krim
03-08-2008, 10:09 AM

New Buy It Now link @ $35.99, $6 s/hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ250223321323QQihZ015QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ugly Dwarf
03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
New Buy It Now link @ $35.99, $6 s/hhttp://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ250223321323QQihZ015QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting that he dropped the Buy It Now price by $1.01 and upped the shipping by $1.

A good deal on this flashlight.

Inertia (a body at rest, remains at rest) has kept me from buying one of those LED drop in's. Anyone here tested for run time with the $10 LED?

maxicon
03-09-2008, 2:24 PM
I haven't tested run time yet, and probably won't, though a number of people at CPF have.

At this point, they're much brighter and cooler than the standard P60, and runtime will be much better due to the lower current draw.

The real question is reliability, and I can't say much on that so far, since mine are all pretty new.

razorx
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I haven't tested run time yet, and probably won't, though a number of people at CPF have.

At this point, they're much brighter and cooler than the standard P60, and runtime will be much better due to the lower current draw.

The real question is reliability, and I can't say much on that so far, since mine are all pretty new.

Same experience here though, not sure how much brighter since the bulb is a "warmer" color whereas the LED is "colder" and because of that may seem brighter. The blulb is a bit more diffuse and wider. I'm still comparing them side by side, their both neat.

krim
03-26-2008, 6:13 PM
just put the CREE module from DX in the 6P, it's at a little brighter than my 9N with the high output bulb on, @ 1/4qth the price. I think ill order another module for my 9P.

Fair warning to those who were as morbidly curious as I was.

DO NOT LOOK INTO THE LIGHT CLOSE UP.

the xenon is bearable. the LED is not.

aplinker
03-26-2008, 6:24 PM
just put the CREE module from DX in the 6P, it's at a little brighter than my 9N with the high output bulb on, @ 1/4qth the price. I think ill order another module for my 9P.

:rofl2:

omg :rofl2: that's too funny!

Not only is it 1/4 the price, but you'll pretty much NEVER need to replace the LED and its shock resistance is there, even without once of the fancier heads.

hiyabrad
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I put mine in but the housing does not screw all the way down now. Any ideas?

berto
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks though I'll probably do it anyway.

mecam
03-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I bought the LED version for $64.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230234352915&ssPageName=ADME:B:BOCOR:US:1

krim
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I put mine in but the housing does not screw all the way down now. Any ideas?

take the large spring off, you dont really need it. the housing will screw all the way after.

berto
03-27-2008, 11:07 AM
There's more if you missed it earlier or want another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ250230160635QQihZ015QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

blackhawk411
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Turner's is clearancing a gunmetal 6p for 28 bux...

Loner
04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I recently bought the new Surefire 6P LED models, can I still upgrade the LED to the higher output if I choose to do so? I'd also like to buy another, but should I go for the LED again, or buy the old version and upgrade?

mecam
04-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I recently bought the new Surefire 6P LED models, can I still upgrade the LED to the higher output if I choose to do so? I'd also like to buy another, but should I go for the LED again, or buy the old version and upgrade?

How much can you get the LED lamp upgrade?

davedog665
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
missed it again i might email him again.......

Loner
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
From the looks of it on eBay it runs between $20-$30.

Nemo
04-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Got a pair of Ebay Surefires and Cree LED lamps--good setup! I'm ready for my Front Sight class now, boy.

maxicon
04-04-2008, 6:54 PM
How much can you get the LED lamp upgrade?

The Surefire P61L price isn't announced, but if the P60L drop-in is $40, it would seem like it'll be at least $60.

You can get the "270 lumen" version on ebay for $20 shipped. I reviewed one here, as well as the more expensive but industry standard Malkoff:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=90139

FlyingPen
04-05-2008, 3:11 AM
How waterproof and shockproof is this after an LED conversion?

Can it live on an AR and be ok after several thousand rounds?

blackberg
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
BAteries?
any good source?
killed mine after working on car with it...
-bb

Socal858
04-05-2008, 12:10 PM
BAteries?
any good source?
-bb

battery station .com has good american made CR123s

aplinker
04-05-2008, 4:15 PM
BAteries?
any good source?
-bb

It's Botach, so you've been warned ;)

http://www.botachtactical.com/du1236.html
I'm partial to these:
http://www.botachtactical.com/kz3libatapa.html

davedog665
04-08-2008, 1:37 PM
surefire 6p's back up on ebay for $41 shipped
finally got mine and ordered the cree drop in from DX
I also ordered some surefire cr123a from batterydepot for 1.75 a piece i wasn't sure if the surefire came with battery's

FlyingPen
04-08-2008, 1:42 PM
I think Fry's also sells bulk CR123 don't they?

DRM6000
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
what do you guys think of the surefire rechargable battery kit? i got one for my cheap 6p and i think it's a great addition.

maxicon
04-09-2008, 1:29 PM
How waterproof and shockproof is this after an LED conversion?

Can it live on an AR and be ok after several thousand rounds?

Depending on the conversion, there can be a gap with the drop-ins, though you can get rid of it in most cases by removing the big spring. Even with the gap, the o-ring is still between the head and body, so it's still watertight.

Recoil shouldn't be an issue with LEDs, though there's not a lot of feedback on the cheap modules, but to add insurance, leave the big spring on and live with the gap.

For batteries, the best bet in quality batteries I know of is the Panasonics here - http://www.batteryjunction.com/20encr3vophl.html - $67.50 for 50. Rumor has it that Panasonic makes the Surefire branded batteries, but I can't guarantee that.

The $1 Chinese batteries have been implicated in flashlight meltdowns and fires, but that's with incandescents, which draw more current than LEDs for the same lumens.

morepoop4u
04-15-2008, 12:48 AM
its back

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ250237081393QQihZ015QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rem1492
04-15-2008, 6:09 AM
thanks for the heads up poop, I got one.

RedDawn
04-15-2008, 8:32 AM
Nice, I thought I missed it.:D

davedog665
04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Depending on the conversion, there can be a gap with the drop-ins, though you can get rid of it in most cases by removing the big spring. Even with the gap, the o-ring is still between the head and body, so it's still watertight.

Recoil shouldn't be an issue with LEDs, though there's not a lot of feedback on the cheap modules, but to add insurance, leave the big spring on and live with the gap.

For batteries, the best bet in quality batteries I know of is the Panasonics here - http://www.batteryjunction.com/20encr3vophl.html - $67.50 for 50. Rumor has it that Panasonic makes the Surefire branded batteries, but I can't guarantee that.

The $1 Chinese batteries have been implicated in flashlight meltdowns and fires, but that's with incandescents, which draw more current than LEDs for the same lumens.

im goin to give it a shot with out the big spring i just got my dx drop in and it looks real real good super bright and seems to be decently made. i unscrewed the brass piece from the bezel a little like in the video and took the spring off fits very tight with no movement or gap.

morepoop4u
04-28-2008, 5:11 PM
Or do it on the cheap:

I bought those light and they are horribly constructed. The 2 that I got weren't even solder argh. Gonna try to fix them tonight.

razorx
04-28-2008, 6:00 PM
Speaking of these 6Ps, i have had batteries run down in both of them literally over night. I leave them screwed in tight enough to turn on when bottom button is depressed but certainly do not leave them on. Anyone else have this problem?

Ugly Dwarf
04-28-2008, 9:10 PM
Speaking of these 6Ps, i have had batteries run down in both of them literally over night. I leave them screwed in tight enough to turn on when bottom button is depressed but certainly do not leave them on. Anyone else have this problem?

I've had problems with dead batteries on my old 6Z, if the cap was close to turned on and the light is getting jostled about (like in my pocket) - in theory turning the light on and off. I never new how far to back the tail cap off before it went from not randomly turning on to non-functional.

The 6P I bought in the original post has some indexing marks cut in the body and cap. I've been keeping the index marks lined up when I put the light in a pocket. The llight has been carried a lot (but not used much) in the last couple months, and I am still on my first set of batteries. With those index marks lined up, I can still turn the light on if I try but it doesn't seem to turn by accident.

Check out if that works for you.

maxicon
05-19-2008, 4:29 PM
They're back available again. I've been holding off, due to a surfeit of G2s, but I'm thinking it's time to pull the trigger on a 6P body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUREFIRE-6P-Brand-New-Sealed-Never-Used-L-K_W0QQitemZ250249316698QQihZ015QQcategoryZ106987QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JagerTroop
05-19-2008, 5:31 PM
I've been meaning to get another one of these... thanks for reminding me :)

maxicon
05-24-2008, 4:09 PM
I went ahead and ordered 2 of these - one for me, one for a friend - and will be popping some inexpensive LED heads into them. Even right out of the package, with the P60 lamp and a pair of SF batteries, it's a great light.

The cutout portion of the package isn't the barcode - it's still there - but the old price/stock tag from wherever they came from originally.

Blueberry556
05-25-2008, 12:40 PM
:kest: